Any Vegetarian Protein Powders

Options
syedsaad
syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
Hi,

I am a vegetarian .... somebody told me that most of the protein powders are extracted from animal sources .... i m not sure how true it is .... but is there any gud vegetarian protein powder out there?

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    sunwarrior makes vegan powders, i use nature's bounty optimal solution complete protein and vitamin chocolate powder. vegetarian friendly, and delicious mixed in a bowl of oatmeal, or with coconut milk to make a shake. i also got a vanilla brown rice protein powder made by jarrow but it was kinda meh, by itself you could taste the rice it was weird but mixed in a shake with fruit it wasn't bad at all.
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Arbonne makes a vegetarian protein powder.
  • idontknowkinda
    Options
    Many protein powders are whey, which is from milk. It's not vegan, but the majority of powders you find are already vegetarian.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use Genuine Health Vegan Proteins+. I've gone through a lot of powders as I am very sensitive to grittiness and taste, but I like this one.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The need for protein powders is myth! It is an idea held as sacred as religion and highly misunderstood.

That being said, a plant based protein source is better than the damaging animal proteins and cr@ppy whey protein...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S08ISQ4dMg
    Published on Apr 5, 2013
    John interviews Dr. Jameth Sheridan about the Best Protein Powder Supplements. In this episode you will learn about the best complete protein powders on the plant and why you probably don't need them. Jameth will also reveal why some people many need to take supplemental protein and some of the potential problems with whey, casein, milk and egg protein powders and why a plant based protein is superior. You will also discover why its almost impossible to overdose on plant protein if you really want to amp up on protein. Jameth will also share how this protein powder can help with blood sugar issues. You will also learn about the hardest core protein superfood powder and why it is superior to even the best protein supplements.
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Plant Fusion

(Vanilla Bean is delicious!)
    I mix it into my oatmeal or make pancakes with it. Works great.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The new isagenix dairy free berry harvest shake is 22g plant-based protein. It's made from pea and hemp protein. The aftertaste tastes like peas. It's not super gross, but i don't enjoy it very much. The texture is smoother than vega though... i find vega too gritty/sandy and i can't get over the texture. Maybe if i mixed it with something... but then it's not as convenient on the run. Ah well. :)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The need for protein powders is myth! It is an idea held as sacred as religion and highly misunderstood.

Where is anybody saying it is a NEED? Protein powders are a convenient source of protein, that's all. It's easier sometimes to have a protein shake after a workout that a steak or bowl of lentils.
    That being said, a plant based protein source is better than the damaging animal proteins and cr@ppy whey protein...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S08ISQ4dMg
    Published on Apr 5, 2013
    John interviews Dr. Jameth Sheridan about the Best Protein Powder Supplements. In this episode you will learn about the best complete protein powders on the plant and why you probably don't need them. Jameth will also reveal why some people many need to take supplemental protein and some of the potential problems with whey, casein, milk and egg protein powders and why a plant based protein is superior. You will also discover why its almost impossible to overdose on plant protein if you really want to amp up on protein. Jameth will also share how this protein powder can help with blood sugar issues. You will also learn about the hardest core protein superfood powder and why it is superior to even the best protein supplements.

How can it be raw, and highly processed at the same time? Vid was too annoying to watch to see if they answered that...
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank You all for the advice .... now i have all these options to choose from :D thanks alot
  • ERBred
    ERBred Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use Almased synergy protien powder/shake. It does have milk protein in it though, so not vegan. I actually like that I can add pumpkin pie spice too it and it tastes great.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    Options
    @richard heath

LOL.. yes that was the wrong link.. Sheridan is a bit of a character...

All things considered, powders may be "convenient" but they are no necessary for people looking to build muscle who are following a healthy whole foods diet. Vegan powders are superior to other more commercial variants for those who are still shackled to the "high protein consumption is required for building muscle mass" myth.

Perhaps the link to generic website is more appealing ( http://www.sunwarrior.com/product-info/warrior-blend/ )":

Warrior Blend fuses and multiplies the power of several rich protein sources into a smooth, great tasting, and revolutionary proprietary formula that is overwhelmingly superior to the individual components alone. This dynamic fusion, along with a cold extraction process, creates a unique, raw, plant-based protein with a complete amino acid profile exceptionally high in Arginine, Lysine, Leucine, and branched chain amino acids.
    The next generation in raw, plant-based protein is here, breaking through the constraints of other protein powders. Warrior Blend is an easily digestible, nutrient filled superfood perfect for anyone who wants to amplify their health and fitness levels. Best of all, it tastes phenomenal.

ontains all essential amino acids in a complete, balanced profile
    One of the best protein powders for any lifestyle, not just vegan or vegetarian
    Free of solvents, GMOs, radiation, artificial flavors, artificial preservatives, or artificial colors
    Contains no animal products, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, added sugar, wheat, or yeast
    Great source of energy
    No cholesterol
    Heart healthy
    Increases metabolism to burn fat while building muscle
    Easy to digest and creates a feeling of satiety (fullness)
    Promotes healthy kidney and liver functions
    A green, hypoallergenic food
    Improves mental clarity
    Helps relieve candida
    UNQUOTE
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder its vegan tasteless in smoothies and a filler!
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I rotate my protein so I use plant based proteins a few times a week. Sunwarrior is my favorite, because it is gluten and soy free. I love both the rice protein and the Warrior Blend. They absorb really well and some of the digestive issue with whey are just not present with plant based proteins.

Another really good plant based product is Maximum Vibrance. It is from Vibrant Health, the people who do Green Vibrance (proably the best green supplement on the market). Anyway they have created a plant based protein product that is soy free, gluten free, plant based, that also has green and rainbow foods added. Pricey but really good stuff.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like GNC 100% soy isolate, it's vegan actually. But I'm dairy sensative so soy works best for me. Whey makes me feel bloated too. Mixes well and tastes better than the other vegan protein powders I've had (raw meal and vega)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Go to a good organic health food store, I know my local store has vegan protein powders. (i think its pea protein)
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    Nuzest's Clean Lean Protein. It's a pea protein powder, that aparently has all needed amino acids, etc. I just bought the chocolate flavoured one and it's pretty nice. I often have problems getting all the protein needed, so I decided having protein powder might be helpful.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie too, tend to use Spiru-Tein. It's a blend of rice, pea and soya proteins and it dissolves quite easily, you just need to shake it
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    Options
    Protein in the Vegan Diet

Summary: It is easy for a vegan diet to meet recommendations for protein, as long as calorie intake is adequate. Strict protein combining is not necessary; it is more important to eat a varied diet throughout the day.

Some Americans are obsessed with protein.

Vegans are bombarded with questions about where they get their protein. Athletes used to eat thick steaks before competition because they thought it would improve their performance. Protein supplements are sold at health food stores.

This concern about protein is misplaced.

Although protein is certainly an essential nutrient which plays many key roles in the way our bodies function, we do not need huge quantities of it. Only about one calorie out of every 10 we take in needs to come from protein. Vegan athletes, especially in the early stages of training, may have higher protein needs than vegans who exercise moderately or who are not active.

Vegan athletes’ protein needs can range from 0.36 to 0.86 grams of protein per pound 2. Protein supplements are not needed to achieve even the highest level of protein intake.

How much protein do we need?

The RDA recommends that we take in 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram that we weigh (or about 0.36 grams of protein per pound that we weigh) 1.

This recommendation includes a generous safety factor for most people.

When we make a few adjustments to account for some plant proteins being digested somewhat differently from animal proteins and for the amino acid mix in some plant proteins, we arrive at a level of 0.9 gram of protein per kilogram body weight (0.41 grams per pound).

If we do a few calculations we see that the protein recommendation for vegans amounts to close to 10% of calories coming from protein.

[For example, a vegan male weighing 174 pounds could have a calorie requirement of 2,600 calories. His protein needs are calculated as 174 pounds x 0.41 g/pound = 71 grams of protein. 71 grams of protein x 4 calories/gram of protein = 284 calories from protein. 284 divided by 2,600 calories = 10.9% of calories from protein.]

If we look at what vegans are eating, we find that, typically, between 10-12% of calories come from protein 3.

This contrasts with the protein intake of non-vegetarians, which is close to 14-18% of calories.

So, in the United States it appears that vegan diets are commonly lower in protein than standard American diets.

Remember, though, with protein, more (than the RDA) is not necessarily better.

There do not appear to be health advantages to consuming a high protein diet.

Diets that are high in protein may even increase the risk of osteoporosis 4 and kidney disease 5.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php [by Reed Mangels, PhD, RD - Simply Vegan 5th Edition]
  • TSRMaine
    TSRMaine Posts: 1
    Options
    Thorne makes several, but they taste like protein powder (barely palatable). I do use it, though, because of all the other vitamins and amino acids it has (Metaclear Plus). JJ Virgin also sells several flavors that really are good, not gritty, and tasty, and they are also made by (and shipped from) Thorne. Google JJ Virgin for All-in-One shake - I get both from her site.

My health food store also just started carrying "Phood" which is an all plant-based protein powder that is even a bit more creamy and sweet than the JJ Virgin brand.