Taking responsibility for obesity

Options

Replies

• sewingdiscontent
    Options
    Whoa! Awesome article! Thanks for posting!

I like what she says about a fast food chain's sales going down 25% after not running tv ads for a week. It is so true. If I don't see it, I don't even think about it, which is why I pirate all of my tv (no commercials). Do I feel bad about "stealing" from corporations who are trying to kill me? Nope.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well written article.
    The attempt to help people lose weight is generally seen as one of the most futile acts we as doctors of internal medicine can perform: pretty much all we can do is make you feel crappier about yourself than you already do.
  • GymBeast2
    GymBeast2 Posts: 81
    Options
    Awesome read.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had been anorexic and spent her teenage years in and out of hospital, being fed through a nasogastric tube. She recovered in her 20s and managed to channel all of her intrusive obsessional thinking about food into athletics. One day she said to me that she didn’t understand why she could be hospitalised against her will for not eating enough, and yet there was no limitation on how fat you could get. It was completely unfair, she said, that you could be refused alcohol if intoxicated but roll into your local fish-and-chip shop 100 kg overweight and be served the equivalent of a week’s worth of calories for lunch.

That right there. Just WOW!

That part of the article really struck me too...I had never thought about it....but so true...great article :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole article, but, hmm... not sure about this part:

"I wish you could get morbidly obese and be considered beautiful."

I understand her point. That she wishes those who are "morbidly obese" are considered conventionally attractive, but the wording just rubs me the wrong way. Like, NO ONE who is morbidly obese can be beautiful. *kitten* off with that.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    really interesting article, thank you for posting!
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Awesome article! Thanks for posting!

I like what she says about a fast food chain's sales going down 25% after not running tv ads for a week. It is so true. If I don't see it, I don't even think about it, which is why I pirate all of my tv (no commercials). Do I feel bad about "stealing" from corporations who are trying to kill me? Nope.

I watch Tv with those ads on & there is no motivation to go buy it. I dont think about it at all. I think it's more sad people have no willpower & wonder how on earth they walk past signs with any food on them without giving in or complaining.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Great read!
  • teresab101
    teresab101 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing~ Interesting article. I am mentoring a young man who is morbidly obese. He has a new baby on the way and a 5 year old daughter. When I was asked where I saw him in ten years my response was dead. Sounds cruel, but he hasn't been to a DR in years, he walks on the inside of his ankles, his legs always hurt, he moves slow. I have noticed his lack of personal pride and confidence. I have printed this article for him to read. He has finally bought a scale (suppose to weigh this morning), paying more attention to what he eats, and (occasionally) actually moves those extra steps I ask. All I want is for him to see his kids grow up and to be the best he can be! Thank you again for sharing!!!!!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    A very good read.
  • Kgholli
    Kgholli Posts: 27
    Options
    Great article and very thought provoking..
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole article, but, hmm... not sure about this part:

"I wish you could get morbidly obese and be considered beautiful."

I understand her point. That she wishes those who are "morbidly obese" are considered conventionally attractive, but the wording just rubs me the wrong way. Like, NO ONE who is morbidly obese can be beautiful. *kitten* off with that.

You are quoting out of context. I recommend you read the whole article and her comment will make more sense to you.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing~ Interesting article. I am mentoring a young man who is morbidly obese. He has a new baby on the way and a 5 year old daughter. When I was asked where I saw him in ten years my response was dead. Sounds cruel, but he hasn't been to a DR in years, he walks on the inside of his ankles, his legs always hurt, he moves slow. I have noticed his lack of personal pride and confidence. I have printed this article for him to read. He has finally bought a scale (suppose to weigh this morning), paying more attention to what he eats, and (occasionally) actually moves those extra steps I ask. All I want is for him to see his kids grow up and to be the best he can be! Thank you again for sharing!!!!!

I think it's great that you are taking the time and making the effort to help him. If he has sense and courage enough to let you guide him, he will thank you in ten years.
    I wish him well. Good for you!!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    brutal.

"Globally, we are carrying 18.5 million tonnes of excess fat under the skin of the overweight and obese, which – if it were still food rather than adipose tissue – would feed 300 million people for life."

its sad that this is the way the world is right now. people starving to death, others dying from gluttony.

its f^cked up.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nikilis
    Options
    this times the power of one million dwarf stars

"There are more shelves in some supermarkets selling highly processed, nutrient-free combinations of starch, fat, sugar and colouring than there are bearing fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and grains combined."

yah, thats how I feel when I go to the supermarket. theres the dairy isle, the fruit and vege isle an the bread isle. then theres 8 isles of *kitten* and a bunch of canned food ranging from good to bad.

its fKked up.
  • nikilis
    Options
    best article ever. ill have her babies. any time.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    There's something special about the writing of a doctor who can also write well. I bookmarked this article; it blends hard scientific facts with compassion for her patients. I live life on the skinny side (partly good genes and not having any psychological eating issues, partly careful diet and exercise) and it's good. I want everyone to feel this way at 60.