Any successful weight-loss runners?

Options
Marcillene
Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
any success photos or progress photos of people who just run? anyone who didnt run before... and began running.. and has had success without hitting the gyms hard? or does running usually just tone you, get your heart in better shape, ect..

Replies

• daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Me personally no, but I have a co-worker that cancelled her gym membership and started running outdoors. She started at a size 10 and now she is like a 0 or a 2. It took her about 6 or 8 months to do this.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Me personally no, but I have a co-worker that cancelled her gym membership and started running outdoors. She started at a size 10 and now she is like a 0 or a 2. It took her about 6 or 8 months to do this.

Wow! so she just runs and no longer goes to the gym? That is an awesome success!
  • im_analog
    im_analog Posts: 8
    Options
    When I was in high school I was about 205 sophomore year and started doing track/cross country. I was 160 by mid-junior year (probably about 6 months) without any other changes in my diet or lifestyle.

Your mileage may vary with that because I had a typical 17 year old boy metabolism but if you have the willpower to make yourself run then it definitely will get you in shape.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I started at 195 and ted doing running twice a week and bootcamp once a week and got down to 168.

It's not strictly just running. I think the bootcamp helps as it's lots of different exercises so can't really say it's all from running but the running has certainly improved my breathing and fitness levels.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I started running a long side doing P90X in January. I was 164 lbs then.

Now I am down to 143 lbs. I love running, so that is more of my focus. I do this alongside NROL4W.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started running May of last year. I'm down 48 lbs and down from a 38 pants size to a 32. Running helps for sure but as you will hear everyone say, it all starts in the kitchen.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    When I first lost weight (back in 2005 or 2006) I lost weight only by running & The Firm Upper/Standing video. I went from about 152 to 110 in about 8 months or so. My body is used to running now so I had to change it up a bit with other stuff. Still no gym though.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Me, I lost 30 lbs. I am happy with my weight now. I am still running. :happy:
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've lost 81 lbs, and the first 50 were by becoming a runner. Now I've diversified my routine a bit to get out of a plateau.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do not go to a gym and have lost 75 pounds through clean eating and running (primarily). I do change things up sometimes - elliptical trainer, a couple months of Insanity, etc. but for the most part running has been my exercise of choice. I think running is fantastic for weight loss - in addition to being great for cardiovascular health!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I ditched my gym membership (after managing to pay for two years and never actually going once) and started running.
    By a mix of running (a lot!) and eating a bit better I lost about 18kg in 6 months.

I've now toned down the running to keep my weight stable
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Running alongside 30 Day Shred, running doesn't really tone you, only your legs and bottom, so you do need to do some weights or other exercises that help tone your muscles. I lost 26lbs overall (I started on Fitday and only moved onto here towards the end) from 160lbs to 142, I'm 5'9". I've always gone running, but I started again following an ankle injury.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    49.2 lbs down and training for a half marathon has broken my plateau. Also i second the circuit training/ shredding along side, although it's hard to fo that while running 25 miles or more a week...
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    BUMP!

I am also interested as i have just started recently!
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of running in my weight loss. 10 years ago when I lost 120 lbs, I started with walking, then power walking, and then running. I also did cycling. Just a warning, after doing only running for several years, my knees started protesting. I didn't tear anything but they hurt 24/7 and I had to give up running. Unfortunately, I didn't replace the exercise once my knees started feeling better and I let my guard down in the kitchen and I gained 25 lbs back after 8 years at maintenance. I recently joined a gym and am enjoying the classes. I've done a lot of bootcamp like classes including strength training and have found recently that I can add some running back in:) I'm very excited but also very cautious to not overdo. So, yes running will definitely aid in your weight loss as long as you are careful with your eating. I would do some other exercise too so you don't hurt your knees. There are tons of free exercise videos on you tube that would help you with toning(with or without weights)> I think Jillian videos are really good.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 75 pounds lighter from just running and perhaps 5 pounds over my goal weight. I had been sedentary and started with an elliptical machine. I literally couldn't even stay on the thing for 5 minutes at first. After two weeks, I was up to half an hour. A few more weeks, I was up to 2.5 hours. A year later, I started running. Despite my year of workouts, I ran 1 mile that first day and thought I was going to die before I finished it. A month later, I finished my first 5 mile race. Three months later, my first unofficial half marathon. I now run 6 miles most mornings. For me at least, it just took time and commitment. And the pounds just fly off when I'm consistently running most days. Good luck to you!
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I started at 195 and ted doing running twice a week and bootcamp once a week and got down to 168.

It's not strictly just running. I think the bootcamp helps as it's lots of different exercises so can't really say it's all from running but the running has certainly improved my breathing and fitness levels.

the breathing and fitness level is definitally something i would like to improve too! thanks for sharing!
  • Marcillene
    Options
    When I first lost weight (back in 2005 or 2006) I lost weight only by running & The Firm Upper/Standing video. I went from about 152 to 110 in about 8 months or so. My body is used to running now so I had to change it up a bit with other stuff. Still no gym though.

what is the firm upper/standing?
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and I feel as though it definitely helps in slimming down, especially my legs. A lot of my weight lost was with running AND eating right. I recently joined a gym because I'm trying to build muscle everywhere to lean out.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!