Defense training

ZiezieO
ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
Hi! I live in a little bit of a pesky neighborhood. I don't know any of my neighbors and by appearance and rumors-it's not that great regardless. I am a 5'6" and 135lbs 23 year old female, I generally walk my dog during the day but I have to take him out at night too. Sometimes I can hear my door handle to the entrance of my house jiggle at night. I own mace and I know the usual abduction protocols.

I'm interested in taking some defense classes. I'd like something that doesn't take a ton of coordination. I'm terrible at zumba. However, I'd like something that helps build my strength as well (two birds with one stone).

Any recommendations?

Replies

• newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Karate
    High pitched whistle
    Security system for the house
    A guard dog (have one, why not 2?)
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    There are lots of combat sports/martial arts classes that people can take in most cities. MMA style workouts are all kinds of hard and will build strength and endurance like no other, plus it's a trendy sport right now so there's a good chance there's a gym near you that specializes in it.

Specific disciplines though are often pretty technique dependent so they also often require coordination. Krav Maga is designed to not require tremendous coordination.

None of them are hard. One of the worst parts of a real fight is controlling your fear. If you can control yourself you can continue to think your way through it and you'll be much more likely to be able to capitalize on any new skills you gain in the mean time. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training is great for that, it teaches you to be able to slow down and think while someone is trying to wrestle you into submission.

**For the record, I am a use of force trainer( I teach cops to fight and to shoot)**
  • Karate
    High pitched whistle
    Security system for the house
    A guard dog (have one, why not 2?)

agreeing with all of this except swap that Karate with Tae Kwon Do. ;)
    Tae Kwon Do is a modern martial art that is made up off all the best techniques of THREE older martial arts, Shotokan Karate, Subak and Tae Kyon. Basically they got the best bits of all three and got rid of the not so ineffective techniques. Having said all this really it depends on what martial arts classes are in you area :p

Oh and what about having a pellet gun? Don't need a licence. It wont kill anyone just bruise em really badly. my Dad has one he keeps under the bed in case we have an intruder...or to shoot foxes when they get into the garden and try to eat the guinea pigs.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Go to gym
    get personal trainer
    no sersly GET him and move him in with you
    all the problems solved. and then some. :wink: the end.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Also, impact or pressure point defense tools like a small kubaton or even a collapsible baton makes a VERY effective tool but they do take some skill to employ well. Not much for coordination, they are like a concealable baseball bat.

Taser int'l has their C2 device which is designed to be carried and concealed on your person as long as you're not a felon.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    If your looking for self defense I would recommend something along the lines of Krav Maga.

It's not designed to be a sport. It's designed for practical application in real life scenarios. Karate, kickboxing, etc., anre great but they're all designed around rules and sport.

Krav Maga is brutal and efficient. Look up classes in your area and maybe get a dog.

Edit: I just creeped your photos. Perhaps your only option is to let me move in with you for protection and what not . . .
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    If your looking for self defense I would recommend something along the lines of Krav Maga.

It's not designed to be a sport. It's designed for practical application in real life scenarios. Karate, kickboxing, etc., anre great but they're all designed around rules and sport.

Krav Maga is brutal and efficient. Look up classes in your area and maybe get a dog.

Edit: I just creeped your photos. Perhaps your only option is to let me move in with you for protection and what not . . .
    told you.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member

told you.

Hahahaha, If I don't die from kidnapping, I'm dying from laughing right now! cute :)

Thanks ya'll I appreciate the advice.
    I'm gunna learn how to kick me some *kitten* and not be afraid of potential *kitten* kickers
    Love ya'll!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    I took a self-defense course last year and it was awesome. Not only did the instructor teach us specific martial arts moves to get away from an attacker, he also taught us some of the "mental" part of dealing with an attacker. For example, he told us that most bystanders won't get involved in helping you if they think it's a domestic matter. So his suggestion is to yell loudly "Who are you? I don't you!" Things like that.

Towards the end of the class he had us do role playing and I gotta tell you, that was the hardest part of the class. He dressed up as a thug and really acted the part (he is also an actor) and even though I knew it was him, I totally had that "fight or flight" feeling when acting out the scenario.

I would google "self-defense class" and your area and see what you can find. I also agree with other posters about Krav Maga or other martial arts classes.