How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself daily. I only track my weight on Monday.

I can't help weighing daily, the number, be it up or down, motivates me. I've lost and gained weight a few times and when I quit weighing, I start gaining. Recently, I was going between 2 weights for about 10 days. It caused me to look at my Intake and output and research and learn. I fixed the problem, and the scale is going down again. If I were only weighing once a week, it would have taken much longer to see the pattern.

I know the scale isn't the only measure of success, it's a tool that motivates me. I also track measurements, take photos, and compare how my clothing feels.
    Definitely this! Totally agree
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessive - I get on "daily" - track it "weekly" - the ups and downs motivate me... i can't say it does not bother me when I'm up...but it gives me a kick in the butt when I'm up... what peeves me off is if half way through the week i'm down, then when it comes to my weekly tracked weight i'm up...i get peeved... i should back off of the daily weigh in...but I'm OC! LOL
  • sbhall52
    sbhall52 Posts: 1
    Options
    Every morning, and log it every day too. I like having the feedback, and even a slight gain—although I know they are to be expected due to water retention, etc.—is additional motivation for that day.
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I keep a spreadsheet with a running 5-day average to try to smooth out the little water fluctuations here and there.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Every morning but I only count it every Saturday, regardless of if it's up or down.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    When I was in weight loss mode, I was taking "official" weight measurements once a week. at the gym with my trainer every Saturday morning. And logged into the gym's fitness program (as well as here). Of course at home, I'd step on the scale every morning before work, and then another time or two during the day. More for a chuckle to see what the effects of what I've eaten and drank during the day. The daily measurements were for amusement purposes only.

Now that I'm more in maintenance (and actually muscle building) mode, "official" weight measurements are occurring about once a month.

Actually a funny one was once I stepped on the scale just before getting in to the bathtub for a relaxing soak (as a treat). I weighed 179. After soaking in the tub for about 20 minutes, just relaxing, I got out, dried off and weighed myself. I was at 182. My body absorbed 3 pounds of water just laying in the tub. With nothing going into my mouth. That experience really taught me not to freak out about daily weight fluctuations..
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Daily every morning after my pee, and I write it down a piece of paper. On MFP I only log if there's a loss.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but only log when I get a new low. This wouldn't work for some. I don't get hung up on it, I'm just curious how my body changes and reacts. Example, I had mexican last night, so lots of sodium. I would expect now to hold on to some water for a couple of days. My weight swings up and down as much as 5 pounds in a day on occasion. I think it is fascinating to pay attention to the daily variances.
    Exactly what I do.
  • augustholly
    augustholly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once first thing in the morning everyday, I get worried that if I don't weigh myself I will become unmotivated and subconsciously slip back into old habits! If I weigh everyday, I can notice patterns right away and curb any bad ones.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't get obsessed, daily weighing can be very informative. I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning every day, but I only log a change on MFP when I have seen the same weight several days in a row.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Always in the morning, after bathroom but before shower. Never any more frequently than once a week. I know my exercise & diet is working, so the scale for me is more about knowing when to adjust calorie intake more than anything else. A number to enter into a calculation.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in daily using our Wii so it logs it for me. When I was on the first stages of weight-loss, and using eDiets, I would only weigh in once a week. Even though there are some pretty wacky fluctuations evident with daily weigh-ins, if I only look at the pattern of a weekly check-in it's pretty much the same--1-2lbs a week, even though there have been some days where I've stepped on 4.5lbs heavier than the day before and dropped 3 lbs another day. It all averages out. As someone mentioned, I'm more in "maintenance" mode now, so I do the deed daily.

I weigh in daily as well. My weight fluctuates based on water retention, so yes I too see the numbers go up and down by a few pounds. But that is to be expected in maintenance mode. I don't worry about the fluctuation because I always keep my calorie intake below my daily allowed... when I don't weigh in daily I find I obsess about weight gain and then I loose weight. Loosing weight is not good when your are 5'4" and your weight is 108. Weighing in daily is not for everyone... but with my OCD's (after loosing 86 pounds total) this is how I manage!
  • Leslie735
    Leslie735 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself just about every mornings but my official weigh day is on Saturday. I like to see even little losses so it helps keep my motivation! :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Every day. Wake, pee and weigh. Chart it and learn from it. The red line is the only one that matters, the rest is just information.

libra.jpg
  • therainandthunder
    Options
    i weight myself daily, in the morning just to check on how well i'm doing. I only log it if i seem to be staying on that amount.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and log here when I have a confirmed loss (or gain). I like doing it daily because my weight can fluctuate 4 lbs or so day to day so if I picked the wrong day for a weekly weigh in I might be a little sad.

I have started logging daily at beeminder and I enjoy the fancy graph that site creates for me.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    Once a week.
    First thing in the AM.
    Naked.
    Before eating.
    After peeing.

Gotta love this! I have done before!!!! :D
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    A few times a day! I like to understand the fluctuations/patterns. I only record one a week - the heaviest observed over the week
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I wake up. I log anytime I see a loss on my scale that lasts for more than 2 days. I find weighing myself every day keeps me on track and helps me recognize foods and activities that aid or hinder my weight loss.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only log new lows or once a week, whichever comes first.

My weight fluctuates a *lot*, so I don't get hung up on highs and lows, but I find the daily ritual motivating.