Wii Active Legit?

Options
So, I'm finally starting to try seriously lose weight. I don't feel comfortable yet with the public workout, or with running yet, but we do own Wii Active. It seems to have a nice array of cardio-based excercise routines, and sets up a 30 day workout plan. It even estimate calories burned, etc. Anyone have any experience with this, and is this a good "entry level" exercise aid?

http://www.easportsactive.com/home.action

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    For a video game system I think its decent, I think its more of a workout than Wii Fit, its like watching a workout video
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options
    I use it as an exercise aid, but I'm also really out of shape and have some old injuries to watch. My suggestion would be to get a stronger resistance band, as the one that comes with it is really 'easy'. I get a good work-out from it, and can definitely feel the "run" and "inline skating" sections.
  • becwheels
    becwheels Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is a start and more than you are doing now. So yes, it will help! I do not have the newest one, but love the things that I do have. One of my games that i bought that I love, and the HRM tells me I burn as much doing this as walking at a fast pace on the treadmill is Just Dance. And it is so much fun you do not even think of it as a workout.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I tried it and liked it. Maybe I am the only one who thought it was a good idea to do this barefoot since I was inside. I made my plantar facitis flare up horribly from doing this without shoes. Wear good shoes while you do it.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii Active and my Wii Fit, they were all I used for workouts when I first started losing weight. I think the workout you get from it depends on what you put into it. You need to make sure that the resistance is a little difficult so that you actually get a good workout (I think someone else mentioned getting a stronger resistance band). If you use it and you sweat you will lose weight. Just like anything else if you don't give it 100% it isn't going to work.

Good luck to you. You can do this!
  • fuzzycop
    fuzzycop Posts: 14
    Options
    Any additional exercise you get is a benefit, regardless of the source. I bought the Wii sports to help me get fit.
  • melissaogdenrhode
    Options
    Wii fit is great! especially when it is winter time and you are reluctant to go outside. The exercises are very good and if done properly, you WILL sweat and be sore the next day. As far as getting a stronger resistance band...yeah...but use it first and shorten it like how they show you on the tutorials before going out and buying a new one. The reason you use light resistance is because you want to have LEAN muscles...use more weight if you want bigger ones. I don't use wii fit a lot right now because it's warm...but come late fall and winter (when it not only is cold but it gets dark by 4) I'll be using it daily...in conjunction with my rowing machine and treadmill.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    So, I'm finally starting to try seriously lose weight. I don't feel comfortable yet with the public workout, or with running yet, but we do own Wii Active. It seems to have a nice array of cardio-based excercise routines, and sets up a 30 day workout plan. It even estimate calories burned, etc. Anyone have any experience with this, and is this a good "entry level" exercise aid?

http://www.easportsactive.com/home.action

This is definitely a good entry level exercise. Last winter I wanted to start exercising again and wasn't ready for outside jogging or P90x, so I did the 30 day wii active. As others said get a stronger resistance band, or myself I used dumbbells.

From day 1, I decided that I would also have some fun. I created a fun workout for another 20-30 mins which included basketball, baseball, volleyball, tennis. and even dance. So after my 30 day workout, I got a bit of my video game craving (trying to hit every ball pitched, make every basket, etc.)

Good Luck, and have fun!