Feeling angry since I started hardcore Dieting

Options
13»

Replies

• beautifulmama11
    Options
    Everyone that had mentioned protein, carbs and calcium, I get all that I need of all of those. I often find that at the end of the day I have eaten too much protein on the myfitnesspal. I drink a cup of milk a day too!

It seems like you are not happy with any of the advice that people are offering, that you are content that what you are eating is correct.

IMO I would wait for the test results from your doctor.

then if everything comes back good, re read this post and see what you can learn from it :smile:
    It is not even like that. I just asked for people's thought on my concern. A lot of people have been asking or stating things and I wanted to give a reply so they would have more info. Because then they could maybe help with thoughts even more. I have taken everyone statement to thought!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You have to make a change for life, not be on a 'hardcore diet'. Make small changes that you will hardly notice.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP i have the same thing now that i'm getting back on the bandwagon and the same thing happened last year when i first started. you get used to it. it takes about 2 weeks for me to get used to eating 1000 calories below maintenance (i'm still eating around 2K a day) and getting through my workouts 6 days a week.

for me i think it has to do with changing inertia. eventually your body will get used to having to do the same with less.

it might be helpful to switch the types of food you are eating so at least you dont feel hungry : full fat yogurts, eggs, nuts, avocado, vegetables and fruits will help keep you feeling fuller longer.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Is it low fat yoghurt? I used to have that and found it did nothing for me - I'm better with 25g nuts (even if I have to sacrifice a few calories). Also, rather than a protein shake try a bowl of porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast - I make mine with half milk and half water, add a spoonful of maple syrup and some cinnamon, and it keeps me satisfied for much longer. Also, for your evening meal do you cook from scratch? I mean properly, chopping veggies and all that? Its the best way to control what is in your meal, not just caloires but also ingredients.

If you get cranky try a cup of tea - regular with milk, green tea or whatever and see of that helps. And as others have said maybe get your blood checked for blood sugar levels.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am eating almost 1,500 calories a day! I have my breakfast shake in the morning, small snack between, Lunch is normally a apple with cream cheese dip and a CarbMaster or lite yogurt, a snack between and then dinner. I know I am getting food. But I have cut things down from what I use to eat I bet I use to eat over 3,000 calories not even thinks about it!!

You might be eating enough calories, but you aren't full, so you're hungry. Eat vegetables. Broccoli has only 30 calories a cup and will fill you up. Yogurt just doesn't cut it as far as doing away with hunger. Also, if you try to cut down on sugar, some of your cravings should go away.

^^THIS!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I get really mean when I am hungry too. I want to hit people and I am rude to everyone around me. This is what happened on that 1200 plan that myfitnesspal recommended. I upped it to 1400 after my husband pretty much begged me to. Through my hunger induced rage, I saw that he had a point. I love to eat, and I hate to deprive myself of eating the things that I love. 1400 has been working out fine for now. You can eat what you want, just make sure it sticks in with your calorie count. If you go over one day? Well, work out extra hard the next day so things even up. Look at the big picture: Could you sustain emotionally on just lettuce and diet food forever? That would be torture for me...so I have to learn to incorporate my beloved Mexican food, cheese, beer, pizza, etc. with all that healthy vegetable crap.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    If you are trying to do it quick and extreme, or "hardcore"...then that is why you are having issues. Slow and steady is better, in my opinion. You can get used to changes and turn them into habits.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The dizzy spells are concerning. You don't mention how many calories you are consuming, or what you are eating, but your body is telling you that something is wrong. I
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what to do! I have been up and down dieting and I have never had this problem. In the past almost 2 weeks I have really gone hard on my eating habits! Watching what I am eating and how much I am eating! But in the past 5 days I have been VERY touchy, cranky, angry, and violent feeling. Also getting dizzy spells. I know it has nothing to do with my menstrual cycle. I have talked to a few people and they said it is just the bodies reaction. Is this true? Or is there something else going on? I have talked to my doctor about losing weight, and how hard it is for me. So he is doing blood work testing different things like Blood sugar, thyroid, ect. I find all that out in a few days! But this is bothering me, I don't like feeling like this! I could use any thoughts at this point!! Thank You

You did a very good job explaining the problem. But, not a lot of details like how tall you are, your weight, or how active you are. But, if you were eating 3000 calories a day, I am going to assume you aren't quite sedentary, but maybe you aren't extremely active either. Because if you were sedentary that many calories would have you up to like 400 lbs in a short time. If you were extremely active 3000 would likely put you at a deficit. So, with that information I am pretty sure your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is about 1900 calories, give or take 100. That is how many calories it takes you to live without losing weight if you were in a coma. I don't think you are in a coma, so your intake should be at least that according to some people. I am not convinced of this. But, I am convinced that 1500 is way too low if you are exercising on top of the activities you used to do. I would say you need at least 1800 calories a day. Possibly, much more than that. But, it wouldn't hurt to try bumping up your calories closer to your BMR you won't gain doing that and you will more than likely lose some weight even if it's a bit slow. You look good for your weight so I am assuming you have quite a bit of muscle, so keep that it will help you burn calories. Which is another reason to not starve yourself too much, that burns more muscle when you do that.

I am not going to say what you should or shouldn't be eating though everyone is different. Get enough protein sure, that helps preserve muscle, but should it be 20% or 40% of your diet? No one really knows except for you after playing around with it. Get more fiber for sure. But, should it be from a lot of fruits and veggies or whole grains? Again you know you better than anyone. I have done both, eat more veggies and I eat mostly whole grains. The key is to add volume while reducing calories if you do that plus make sure you have enough protein you won't be hungry or hangry which is really bad. If you cut out sugar I am going to say that is a great move. Sugar is not a good thing to have in your diet if you can cut it that's good. Maybe just have a little with your discretionary calories which if you get 1800 calories then you will have some to play around with maybe 200-300 calories for fun foods.

Whatever you do though make sure it's what you can do most of the time like 95% of the time. If you can't stick to it everyday, it's not going to work long term. You will start a bad cycle of losing and gaining and more will come back on every gain cycle and by the time you are in your 40's well that's when many people just give up and then have major health issues. So, get a handle on it now and you won't face that terrible cycle.

PS when I say 1800 that isn't like a rule or anything. It's just a starting point to see where you are as far as your calorie needs. You might need 200-400 more than that, but certainly you don't need less.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Could you have been eating as a way to squash down feelings of anger?

If so, now you aren't, you've got to find another way of dealing with your emotions, as they aren't being stifled by food.

ETA: some people, when they are stressed/angry breathe too shallowly and can actually hyperventilate without realising it.
    47655-Taylor-Swift-whoa-gif-V8eA.gifthis would explain the near fainting and wanting to kill people.

Also low iron makes you irritable, and it can make you feel faint as well. It might be you are eating enough calories but not getting enough iron and becoming anemic. Don't beleive me, go to google with words like "irritability" "anemia" "iron deficiency" "anemic symptoms dizzy lightheaded" and "good food sources for iron". Also since your Dr's checking stuff have him check that too.

Only you know if you are eating the kinds of foods to make you nutritionally healthy. Only you know if you have been carrying around some serious anger that now needs another outlet or some cognitive therapy to help you find another way to cope with it, if food was your tool for that.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'd stop dieting and instead learn how to eat (portion control, etc) - the whole lifestyle change idea. Otherwise, you are going to be even more mad when you rage quit and gain back everything you managed to lose
    qft! if I eat to low i tend to hulk out on people, so like awesome joy said, learn to eat!
  • Jenna1024
    Jenna1024 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get angry and feel sick when my blood sugar is low. Eat every 3 hours...I've been doing that the past 3-weeks and have felt MUCH better, even lost 5 pounds! Your blood sugar doesn't have a chance to get too low and you boost your metabolism because you never give your body the chance to feel "hungry"/"starving" and it keeps running, kinda like a car motor.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump
  • 1love711
    1love711 Posts: 2
    Options
    I felt like this first starting out. It went away once my body got used to eating less, which was about 2-3 weeks. It's almost like I went through a withdrawal of some type. I would get shaky, dizzy, and had headaches.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You should open up your diary. It would make giving advice less of a guessing game. This canbe done in your settings. Then we can have a peak and give you some concrete ideas.