How true is this?

Options
My fitness center just got a new protien drink it is trying to promote - just wondering how true the following statement is, or if it is just a statement to sell the product -

"Did you know that after working out you have only 10 minutes to supply your body with lost protein before it goes into 'survival mode' and produces extra fat to surround the new muscle tissue you've just worked hard to create? Drinking this high quality, pure whey protein with essential amino acids can make the difference between FAT & FIT"

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I dunno but I know I'd rather just eat a banana and some crackers or something.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I read a lot on this kind of stuff and I've never heard of a study that says that.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've always heard you need to intake food with in an hour of working out. Usually a meal that contains a carbs to protein ratio of 2:1. So I typically shoot for 30 grams of protein and 60 grams of carbs within 30 minutes of working out. You will definitely benefit by the intake of protein after a workout.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you need to consume some fast digesting protein (like whey) within 30 minutes of finishing your workout to realize any gains in muscle/strength. Not sure about it producing fat though... I don't think your body produces fat; it just stores it.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My trainer always suggested within 30 minutes -- but it could be as little as 4 oz of protein drink or lean meat, or light cheese. But I have never seen any scientific studies based on it.
  • gvcgoldmedal
    Options
    Utter BS. Your window after working out to supply your muscles is around 60-90 minutes. But, you have to allow for digestion. So your post protien drink should be taken no more than 30 minutes after your workout. They are right about the Whey protein though. This type of protein digests quickly, where as other forms digest slowly over hours. Depending on how far way from the gym you live, you have time to get home and have your post-workout meal. That meal should include your protein drink and some form of carbs. Yes I know, the dirty word, carbs. But you need them, no matter what the latest fad diet says.

If you invest in a $2 shaker, you can have your protein drink at the gym with you. I do 60 minutes of cardio then lift. While I'm lifting I drink my post workout drink, that way once I'm done the protein is entering my system immediately.

So, to answer your question directly, does it have to be taken inside 10 minutes? No, it doesn't. But the closer to your workout the better. Hope this helps.
  • jojigirl
    jojigirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question. I work out at night - between 8 and 10 o'clock. I haven't been eating anything after the workout because it's so late. Even if it's 10pm, do you think I should have some sort of protien after?

Thanks!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question. I work out at night - between 8 and 10 o'clock. I haven't been eating anything after the workout because it's so late. Even if it's 10pm, do you think I should have some sort of protien after?

Thanks!

I say "yes"! It doesn't have to be a huge meal.... could just be a scoop of whey protein & shake with 1/2 cup of milk.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Remember, you don't get stronger when you work out. That happens AFTER you work out, when the muscles rebuild themselves. Imagine building a wall. If you have only mortar and no bricks, you can't build a very strong wall. After working out your muscles are starved for nutrients, so this is the best time to give them what they want so they can start rebuilding as soon as possible. I drink a protein shake and also take my evening supplements right after my workout to kick-start my recovery. I even use low-fat chocolate milk after a lifting or perticularly intense workout for my protein shake, to get a good shot of carbs. Just make sure you have the room left in your daily intake to allow for it.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    "Did you know that after working out you have only 10 minutes to supply your body with lost protein before it goes into 'survival mode' and produces extra fat to surround the new muscle tissue you've just worked hard to create?
    BS

I've always heard 45-60 mins. 10 mins or it goes into survival mode.. Wow.. Scare tactic?
    I've never heard this as well. "Producing extra fat to surround new muscle tissues that you've worked hard to create"

You don't create muscle right away at your workout. While working out you break the muscle fibers. The nutrients and protein are what help rebuild the muscle bigger and stronger.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I say "yes"! It doesn't have to be a huge meal.... could just be a scoop of whey protein & shake with 1/2 cup of milk.

Some people enjoy a glass of chocolate milk as a perfect post workout drink.
  • jojigirl
    jojigirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys. That was fast. I have been using choc milk at breakfast, I'll just move it to the end of my day instead of the beginning!

Thanks again !
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    My trainer always suggested within 30 minutes -- but it could be as little as 4 oz of protein drink or lean meat, or light cheese. But I have never seen any scientific studies based on it.

Here ya go:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/89/1/161?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=Ingested+protein+dose+response+of+muscle+and+albumin+protein+synthesis+after+resistance+exercise+in+young+men&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

The article is insanely technical but the short of it is that muscle building activity responds to protein consumption but 20g of protein is the most the body can use at one time to maximize muscle development and the rest is just converted to energy (excess calories). They also surmise since resistance exercise affects the body for up to 24-48 hours, you could do this a few times during a 24 hour period. Doesn't quite show a need to immediately consume the protein but it also doesn't study that directly.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there are any studies to back this up. But I am under the impression that most fo the muscle repair happens while you are sleeping. Hence, When you go to bed you're sore(torn muscle fibers). You wake up and you are less sore (repaired muscle fibers) . Given that, I would not hesitate to have a protien shake right before bed. But that's just me thinking out loud.

To the OT, I know enough to know that's BS. As similar to what I stated above, fat loss or creation also occurs while you are sleeping.

Feel free to call me out on this, and post any studies that speak to this.