Carb/Pro/Fat Ratio for Woman Losing Body Fat?

Options
Hello!

Long time 3 - 4 times a week cardio bunny here. Always enjoyed running, but never paid too much attention to weights or the fine print of my diet. As such, although I'm a healthy weight with pretty good stamina, I've never been strong or toned (apart from my legs. My arms are useless.)

Finally looking to build some muscle, introduce some weights into my routine, but from the little I know (very much starting out with this), I need to get my body fat percentage down first, so I'll actually be able to SEE the muscles, and because it's difficult to juggle losing body fat/muscle building at the same time. Is this correct? If so, do I just keep plugging away at a calorie deficit, or is there a carbs/protein/fat radio I should also be looking at? I've seen a 35%c/40%p/25%f figure bantered around, but very much clueless.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It doesn't change for women versus men.

The spread that I use is 40/30/30
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I have read that jogging builds muscle but around here people are saying its not true.

I'd also like to know why is it that some women can weigh 140lbs and have defined muscles while other women have to get down to 130 or 120 before seeing any muscle on the body?
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I have read that jogging builds muscle but around here people are saying its not true.

I'd also like to know why is it that some women can weigh 140lbs and have defined muscles while other women have to get down to 130 or 120 before seeing any muscle on the body?

Ugh...seriously?
  • watermillion
    Options

Ugh...seriously?
    yes i'm serious.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat at 40:25:35 generally.

I also am between 138 and 140 Ibs, and my muscles show, because I increased muscle and dropped bodyfat along the way.
    I was 16Ibs less last year, and a higher bodyfat. But I am also tall(5'10), hence 138-140Ibs is appropriate for my height.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm losing body fat (at what looks to be a really good ratio with most body fat tests suggesting I've lost next to no muscle in 4 months) eating 1g+ protein per lb of LBM (about 110g per day or more), 0.5g fat per lb of total body weight (about 75g) and the rest filled out with carbs.

Overall my goals are 45% carbs, 25% protein, 30% fat, but it does vary by day. I'm usually under on carbs, over on protein and about right on fat (averaged over a week).

I think the weights I'm lifting probably have more to do with it than precise ratios. As long as I'm getting enough protein I'm pretty much fine.
  • whierd
    Options

Ugh...seriously?
    yes i'm serious.

I think you would benefit from reading a book or two on some basic nutritional/fitness information.

It depends on height, genetics, activity type/level, nutrition, etc etc etc.
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Very helpful and great to see some examples. I think I'll attempt 40/30/30 for a bit then, and see how I go. Cheers!
  • watermillion
    Options

Ugh...seriously?
    yes i'm serious.

I think you would benefit from reading a book or two on some basic nutritional/fitness information.

There's a model who is the same height and weight as me yet she's much more toned than I am. Even if I work out and do cardio everyday, my body never gets toned like hers. I'm 160lbs 5'8
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It doesn't change for women versus men.

The spread that I use is 40/30/30
    I use 40/30/30 as well.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Ugh...seriously?
    yes i'm serious.

There's a model who is the same height and weight as me yet she's much more toned than I am. Even if I work out and do cardio everyday, my body never gets toned like hers. I'm 160lbs 5'8

Have you considered heavy lifting? There are a lot of amazing looking ladies on this site who are into heavy lifting. I have just started the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program. I've also found a couple of great groups, the Stronglifts Group and the Eat Train Progress group. I think heavy lifting would help you get the look you want.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Ugh...seriously?
    yes i'm serious.

Um, because height and build and frame size and muscle mass have something to do with it? Because you can be 140 and 5"10 or 140 and 5'0" and they look different? Because you can be 140 at 20% body fat or 140 at 30% body fat same height)?

You see the muscle that fat loss reveals. If you don't have any muscle to reveal (because you didn't build any, because you were a victim of "phys ed classes" that didn't have girls doing strength work, because you bought into the 'I don't want to get bulky' mentality), then fat loss isn't going to do all that much, visually.
  • watermillion
    Options

Ugh...seriously?
    yes i'm serious.

Have you considered heavy lifting? There are a lot of amazing looking ladies on this site who are into heavy lifting. I have just started the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program. I've also found a couple of great groups, the Stronglifts Group and the Eat Train Progress group. I think heavy lifting would help you get the look you want.
    thank you. I'll look into that
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I go with 40/30/30 as well. You may want to pick up the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Good starter program for lifting but also explains a lot about nutrition as well,