Fruit and sugar levels :(

Options
Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted else where... but everytime I eat a good portion of fruit my sugar goes way over. Should I worry? I am not eating sweets or anything (well not very often) so should I ignore it? Or are there lower sugar fruits I should be eating?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugars I wouldn't worry about it. I took sugar off of what I track since I was always seeing it over by the time breakfast was over just due to fruit.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You can ignore it. (: That level is actually the recommended FDA maximum for added sugars, not naturally occurring. Otherwise, just count it as a carb.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I have my sugar tab turned off. It's useful if you're corn-syrupy, but pointless if you're picking up all the sugar from fruits.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    For some reason, the sugar level at MFP is set to the recommended level for *added* sugar.

Unless you really need to watch sugar for some reason, such as diabetes, being over from fruit is not something to worry about.
  • puddleduck16
    Options
    Thanks for asking that question as it was something I was wanting to know too - a couple of bits of fruit and that's me well over!!!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I changed my sugar setting to allow for 50g per day. I have added sugars under control, and I don't care if fruit or lactose sugar puts me over. But the red number bothered me so I increased it manually ;)
  • duran2fan
    duran2fan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can ignore it. (: That level is actually the recommended FDA maximum for added sugars, not naturally occurring. Otherwise, just count it as a carb.

Thank you for the info. I kept thinking that I was doing something wrong and would wind up being a diabetic quite soon based on the sugars I got just from fruits and veggies.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    << Eats Krispy Kreme donuts and chocolate ice cream.
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    <(^O^<) <(^o^)> (>^o^)>
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    <
    Just ate a guilt free orange thanks to this post :)