Day 1 Low Carb Difficult!!!

Options
I just started a low carb nutrition plan today. Protein, nuts, olive oil, light sauces, veggies, only 2 fruit and 2 dairy per day. My total carbs was still 104 today BUT there is lots of fibre to minus from that too (Im type 1 diabetic and take insulin for carbs - fibre) Anyways, it's 830pm here and I am getting hungry and im supposed to lift some weights too!!! It's gonna be challenging! Does anybody think this hungry at night will go away in a few days???

Replies

• skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It hasn't for me (but I'm not low carb). Then again, I also haven't been able to successfully resist it...
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary - you're just at 1361 calories! No wonder you're hungry, that's very little!
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets much easier..I felt so much better after about day 3. Small meals help me.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I know. I am desperate to lose these last pounds from pregnancy - it's been a 17 month journey already!!! I am sooo desperate.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Yes it gets much easier..I felt so much better after about day 3. Small meals help me.

Did the weight fly off for you? What weight did u start at? How long did it take to lose x amount of lbs.?
  • challenger9509
    Options
    If you go low carb it's good to be in the right mind set to stay that way. You should see weight loss pretty quickly. Seems you have a good balance. Just have to get through the adjustment in the beginning..but you will see a difference in how you feel soon. Feel free to add me and good luck!
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    You could eat some protein: beef, bacon, chicken, a slice of cheese, some nuts. They'll be more satisfying ans won't increase your carb count.
  • challenger9509
    Options
    I started over 31 days ago and down 21 lbs. I'm type 2 so I felt this was best for me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    the only time i successfully did a low carb plan it was very strict but it did allow me to have free reign on portions. that was key because when I was carb craving, I could eat any amount of whatever i was allowed to eat and that got me thru it.

I hope you are not trying to cal count and cut carbs to nearly zero at the same time? if you are I hope you have some plan that you really see the merit in and makes sense to you because otherwise from my experience it would be a recipe for starvation, hangry, and lots and lots of falling off the wagon. shoot my plan which eventually worked, made me fall off the wagon repeatedly before getting going full swing.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    personally i do most of my carb morning and up until about 3pm.. then really lighten up on them and the fat so at evening is protein and like a low carb veg like broccoli or green peppers asp. I rarely am hungry and rarely ever have any cravings.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    From your diary it doesn't look like you picked very filling foods, I'm set for 5/35/60 for carbs/protein/fats and during the week I'm normally around 10 grams for carbs then 30 grams on Sat's and never hungry.

Adding in more meat and less nuts will give you more calories to work with without the higher carbs.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no.....................
    keep the crabs. exercise. stay under calories
  • DeniseMJE
    DeniseMJE Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged - hang in there. It does get better.
    I've been eating high protein & low carb since mid-February, have lost 20lbs, feel like I did when I was in my 30s (I'm 54yo), but I did find it difficult the first 3 days. During my first 3 days, I only ate food that was high in protein with very few carbs. That's so my body could get into ketosis, which is when your metabolism burns your body's stored carbohydrates/fats rather than the carb-rich food you've just eaten. Also by doing it this way, you are eliminating all foods that your body may be sensitive or have food allergies around, but you just don't know it yet. After 3 days of no sugar, wheat & dairy, I found I wasn't really hungry for them.
    If you don't want to go this hardcore, I'd suggest that beginning at breakfast you do eat high protein foods every 3 hours & watch the type of carbs you are consuming. Read labels & try to only eat food that contain complex carbohydrates. Next, drink 1 gallon of water a day. Your body needs to flush the carbs & toxins out of your body as you are in ketosis. Don't skimp on this. I use a gallon jug & fill it the night before so I can have it ready to pour from in the morning when I take my am medication & vitamins. I also try to finish drinking all the water by 6pm so I am not waking up needing to go to the bathroom all night long.
    Take a multi-vitamin with minerals every day. Pay particular attention to whether you are getting enough A, B6, B12, C, E, Calcium, & Selenium.
    Finally do cardio at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes & weight train the same amount of time. The more muscle you build, the more weight you will lose. Good luck!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't see any water, but hope you're getting quite a bit to help things along.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Okay, how in the hell do people only eat 10g carbs in a day. Vegetables are full of carbs BUT they have fibre too which reduces the need of insulin. Carbs minus fibre = insulin to carb ratio. Non diabetic, your body does it automatically. Type 1 diabetic, you have to inject the insulin. But really, how can u only eat 10g carbs in a day??????

Also, I am bad with water (i use MIO) but I do get a good 2 litres in a day plus a couple coffee.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I just started a low carb nutrition plan today. Protein, nuts, olive oil, light sauces, veggies, only 2 fruit and 2 dairy per day. My total carbs was still 104 today BUT there is lots of fibre to minus from that too (Im type 1 diabetic and take insulin for carbs - fibre) Anyways, it's 830pm here and I am getting hungry and im supposed to lift some weights too!!! It's gonna be challenging! Does anybody think this hungry at night will go away in a few days???

Eat something fat and protein filled.............
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Im having a hard boiled egg and a 5g carb 0fat yogurt.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could possibly be happy eating such a low amount of carbs.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I don't think I could possibly be happy eating such a low amount of carbs.

Do u think 100g of carbs is low??? Did u see some people are eating 10g of carbs!!!! WTH!!!!!!!!! Now that I couldn't imagine. FOr me, the 100g today has been good. Didn't put me in a mood...