Will I stop losing weight? 800 - 900 calories a day?

Options
I'm 5'9 and 115 lbs.
Last year, at this time, I was 164lbs.

I've been eating 800 - 900 calories a day but ALL nutritious foods. Clearly I keep losing weight but I want to stop losing weight now and start maintaining.
If I am honest I HATE eating. It's a chore to me and I don't enjoy it.

But what I really want to know is: what will happen if I continue to eat only 800 - 900 calories a day? Will I lose so much weight I could eventually be really sick and 70 lbs, or will I eventually stop..?
And if the answer is the former: how many calories do I need to maintain?

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    /headdesk.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Get help is my suggestion. You are now underweight. Not smart.
  • jannessy
    jannessy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    did your dislike for food happen after you lost weight?
  • lovemehobo
    lovemehobo Posts: 28
    Options
    5'9 and 115 pounds? That's incredibly unhealthy, I agree with Graelwyn75 you need help
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Yawn
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    "Height: 5 feet, 9 inches
    Weight: 115 pounds

Your BMI is 17, indicating your weight is in the Underweight category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 125 to 169 pounds.
    Talk with your healthcare provider to determine possible causes of underweight and if you need to gain weight."

I really am at a loss for words.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    troll...
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd say don't feed the troll, but I think this one needs a sandwich.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Ahahaahahahahahahaha. Perfect.
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    That is a really low number for someone who weighs 115 at 5'9..
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    So everyone's already told you that your weight to height ratio labels you as underweight/too skinny. However, you may be one of those types of people that has a very small frame and wears 115 like someone else would wear 130, so I'm going to answer your question as best I can.

800-900 is a very, very light and incomplete day. I know that eating heathy stuff fills people up faster than the unhealthy, but adding things in to bulk up a meal or a shake wouldn't hurt. Even peanut butter if you're hurting for calories isn't a bad option. You don't want your body to start going after your muscle mass and leave you small but squishy (i,e. "skinny-fat").

I don't know how active you are, but even at a sit-down activity level, you want at least 1200 calories per day.

And for the next person to come in and flame -me- for actually answering: my mom was at the same height/weight before she got pregnant with me, and she wasn't unhealthy. Body frame and mass matter. Not everything is text-book cut.
  • mandapoca
    mandapoca Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you! This was very helpful (unlike the unfortunate handful of answers I seem to be getting..)!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    troll...

this
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest speaking to your doctor and making an appointment with a dietician to set up a plan that will help you gradually increase your calories so you can stop losing and (if your frame is very small and 115 is healthy for you) maintain or add a few pounds to move you into a healthy range. At the very least you can show him/her print outs of your food log to get suggestions on what to add and where.

It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to someone about your feelings for food and eating as well. I'm not saying food should be the be all end all of life, but it also shouldn't be a chore that you have to force yourself to do.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it will depend on you body.

You also need to realize your body may not want to "maintain" at the already very low weight you are at. You may gain a few pounds. You may gain 15lbs. Who knows. Everyone has a different body that wants to naturally sit at a different weight. You will likely gain some weight, 800 a day is very low. That is okay though. Your body needs fat. Fat is okay. And you need to learn to love your body at every size. There's a lot more to life than being skinny, and a lot of life's best events involve food and drink.

If eating feels like a chore, or you're intensely scared of gaining back any weight I would consider getting into some sort of therapy. Your eating is likely disordered, and you need to establish a healthy relationship with food and your body before you'll be truly happy.
  • DevenWinton
    Options
    Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is how many calories you burn if you sit and do NOTHING ALL DAY. This will give you the MINIMUM amount of calories you should consume each day. This is how many calories you need to survive and not send your metabolism into starvation mode. On days when you workout, you should add 200-300 calories, based on the intensity of your workout. If you are active at home / work (not sitting all day), you may need to add even more calories. To find out what your BMR is, here is the formula:
    655+(4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

I got this info from fithealthymoms.com. If you go onto her blog, Sara Dean will respond to your questions.

Good luck.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    I love how quick people are to shout "troll". I get that forums get a lot of trolls, but you'd think that an underweight person with disordered eating habits was akin to a unicorn.
This discussion has been closed.