How often do you weigh yourself/ measure?

Options
I've been on My fitness pall for at least 3 weeks. weighed my self in the beginning and havent since, but i have been working out when i can and trying to eat right and or smaller portions. i just want to know how often i should weigh myself so i see progress and not get discouraged. But I know i shouldnt weigh myself TOO often because that will make you crazy. Any thoughts??

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong. I only weigh once a week. I personally think it is not wise to weigh everyday or multiple times a day. Body functions and all that cause fluctuations that can be defeating. Many people disagree with me and that is their choice. My ego cannot handle all that stress. One piece of advice, weigh only on one scale. Every scale is different. It doesn't really matter which scale is "right". You can tell and so will it when you lose. Good luck. Find what works for you.
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every week and measure every month.
  • majesticaldreams
    majesticaldreams Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, naked right after using the restroom. If I don't I will fall off track and start to gain.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Once a week.

I don't enter it into my profile unless there has been a change from the last entry.
  • DAISYMAY72
    DAISYMAY72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday evening. The weekends are usually the hardest to stay on track and knowing I have a weigh-in on Monday has kept me eating good over the weekends.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, naked right after using the restroom. If I don't I will fall off track and start to gain.

This.

A long time ago I heard an expert say that daily weigh ins were correlated with higher long-term success rates. The immediate feedback helped hold people accountable for each days choices.

It definitely takes a thick skin- there are days I eat nothing and gain. But it's been educational. I've learned how my body responds to my weight loss efforts. If you can stomach it, you'll learn a lot about yourself.

But obviously don't do it if it will discourage you.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday because I can't fight the temptation, but I only record the weigh-in from Monday morning.
  • Flagirlof3
    Flagirlof3 Posts: 86
    Options
    I weigh and take a picture every week!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Wednesday. That way if I mess up on the weekend, I have two days to undo the damage.
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    I weigh on every Wednesday and measure every other Wednesday.
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Friday's and measure once a month.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh myself every week, but it's seriously gone to my head the closer i am to my goal. as soon as i see my scale near me i think hm......wonder how much it is now. going to have to start hiding it LOL.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Several times a day, lol. I have a WiThings scale that auto syncs, I keep it next to the toilet so I'm there all the time. I like seeing the different weights throughout the day. And it takes some of the scary factor out too, nothing is a huge surprise.
  • tccanzoni
    tccanzoni Posts: 33
    Options
    I find it unnecessary to weigh yourself everyday, or even every week. A lot of people tend to become discouraged with their workout and diet regiment when they weigh themselves that frequent.

I personally weigh myself every 30 days. And also, the scale doesnt often tell the true story of your success.
  • Swehl
    Swehl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Saturday morning at the gym. I refuse to keep a scale in the house because I would obsess and weigh everyday. However, I do measure my waist multiple times a week first thing in the morning. I'm a control freak, and it satisfies my need to "know" how I'm doing if I can measure. I'd rather measure than weigh myself -- smaller numbers.
  • GAB219
    GAB219 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Several times a day, lol. I have a WiThings scale that auto syncs, I keep it next to the toilet so I'm there all the time. I like seeing the different weights throughout the day. And it takes some of the scary factor out too, nothing is a huge surprise.

Same here, I think I have become obsessed ;) We have a scale at work, I weigh in when I get to work, then just before or after lunch and then again just before I leave for the day. Scale doesn't bother me, but it does make me aware of my body and the changes it goes through everyday. If the numbers do not go down or they went up for a week, then I start tweaking a bit. I only record every Tuesday though and measure every 2-3 weeks.
  • RB101011
    RB101011 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am one of those people that weigh in every day. If I dont i know I will not stay on track. So every single day I step on that scale and face any number it gives me. I dont believe there is a right or wrong. Its just what ever motivates you.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday. I used to not weigh myself for years & little by little gained weight. Keeping track is pivotal for losing weight for me. I do measure myself for the times that the scale does not move. I love waking up in the mornings & looking & feeling skinny, or skinnier!! lol
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I go to the bathroom. Weighing myself everyday keeps me on track. I log the weight on Sundays.

I measure myself every Sunday.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I weight every morning before I jump in the shower.
    I measure the 1st of every month.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!