Gym rant

Options
So I just have to get this out of my system. Yesterday at the gym I was happily cruising along with my treadmill workout and this girl hops on the one right next to me. But, oh wait, she gets a phone call before she can start. So she stands there on the treadmill yacking away for like 10 minutes periodically looking over at me to (possibly?) see if I am annoyed, (why yes, I am annoyed) but I keep looking ahead trying to focus. She finally gets off her phone and starts jogging. Good for her. Yay! But, oh wait, her phone rings again and she must stop and take this very important call. So back to standing motionless on the machine again for another 5-7 minutes. Still, I am working away. She finally gets off and gets back to her jogging. (Good for her because I can't jog at all. Seriously.) This is when she starts burping her garlic lunch. The guys at the gym have been kind enough to turn the fan on us today which helps because it is normally about 90 degrees in my gym. However, this fan now blows her (chinese? greek? italian?) lunch burps directly into my face. I had one of those fantastic moments where you see yourself just reach over, push someone down and continue on your merry way. Oh that would have felt good. Luckily, I was able to finish my time without screaming at her about her stink or knocking her over.

Thanks for listening. Normally I am quite pleasant and can ignore things like that but I am a little over-stressed lately. :happy:

Replies

• _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    LOL That's disgusting! I hate when people are on their phones at the gym..ESPECIALLY when I'm on the treadmill!
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh dear me , that was a good rant!
    the worst thing that happened to me in my gym at work was when the girl next to me got off her treadmill and reached down to unplug her machine - but she unplugged mine by mistake. That could have need dangerous but luckily I came to a dead stop. Just when I was getting into a goos sweat too!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Oh I sympathise with you 100%!!!!

Since I moved from our nice exclusive gym to the local leisure centre "facilities" *cough cough* I tend to encounter a lot of this!!!

Like you, I can't run so well either and am currently battling my way through Week 8 of Couch to 5K...last week encountered BOTH the problems you mentioned (all be it, by different people, not the same one!!)

...As if running isn't hard enough as it is without giving you more excuses to give up!? hehe
  • brynntozer
    Options
    I really dont see why this is such a big deal. You should be totally focused on your workout by either watching the tvs in the gym, listening to music, or doing something that should keep your mind off everyone else in the gym. If they were cackling or saying something about someone in the gym, then thats kinda different bc that IS annoying. But dont assume that other people havent noticed you having bad breath at one point in your life or you doing some annoying habit. We all have it....

On the flip side though... there are times where ranting is good for you! So rant on! BUT MY rant is that this just wasnt even worth fussing over, at least not publicly. If you want to go rant about something this minut, then go yell at your pillow, talk to your dog, or run a few extra miles to help burn off your steam that seems to of been building up for a while since you are ranting over something pretty harmless.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I know it is a trivial rant but it made me laugh to write it down and I can always, always use a good laugh.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    So, you pay for a gym membership. Take time out of your day so you can "work out". Then you take phone calls??? OK, whatever works for you.

Is this woman make anymore sense than a co-worker who washed her BP Medicine down with McDonalds....every morning?
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but you know what, Sillygoose? YOU'RE the one who was burning the calories while being consistent on the treadmill! She just spent her time yakking into the phone and burping!
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    Silly
    I found it very funny and can relate to it. Ive gone less to the gym b/c of rude peopls as I have let it get the best of me :(
    Im proud you stayed and delt w.the stinky breath and the womens phone calls.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yeah, other people at the gym can be quite the distraction! I hate it when I end up working out next to the garlic breath people. Ugh!

My thing is people who are on the equipment and just talking away like they aren't even out of breath. I even apologized to one acquaintance after working out next to her on an elliptical, because I didn't carry on a conversation. I just can't do that, well not at the level I'm working out at. I'm too busy using all my breath to stay alive. :laugh: I am really very friendly but honestly, I can't workout and chatter at the same time...unless I'm on a rest break. Heh.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    There is a guy at my gym who is there every morning. He uses the elliptical, which is on the other side of the gym from the treadmill that I usually use. Every morning, at least two or three times during his workout, he calls out "whoooo....nelly!". (I'm serious. He actually says "whooooo...nelly!".) It's loud enough that I can hear it through my music--and I use sound-dampening earbuds. It drives me NUTS. And there is another guy who comes periodically whose shoes constantly squeak on the treadmill. If you think 15 minutes of cell phone yakking is annoying, try listening to an hour of squeaky gym shoes. By the end of the time I feel like my hair is standing on end. (In fact, that guy is one of the things that prompted me to suck it up and buy an mp3 player with sound-cancelling earbuds...)

There used to be a woman who would come in and use the treadmill. She'd set it at 15% incline and 5 mph, and then hold onto the handrails for dear life while stomping away. Her whole body was literally hanging by her arms, with her feet just barely touching the deck. Every time I saw her I felt like saying to her "you do realize that the calorie burn on that thing is only accurate if you're actually bearing your weight--and that walking that fast in that posture is going to destroy your back?!" She doesn't come anymore, though--maybe she did actually hurt her back....

For a great (and funny) mini-series on how not to be a jerk at the gym, check this out:

http://www.obesitypanacea.com/2010/01/what-to-wear-at-gym-tips-on-proper-gym.html
    http://www.obesitypanacea.com/2010/01/10-most-annoying-gym-personalities-tips.html
    http://www.obesitypanacea.com/2010/02/basic-guidelines-tips-on-proper-gym.html
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Perfectly acceptable gym rant imho.
    brynntozer, you must be one of the people doing this, lol.
    Anyone has the right to talk on their cell phone but what would it hurt to go to the locker room, step outside, etc. to take the call just for common courtesy? Even better, why take your phone in the gym? What is so important that someone can't leave their phone in the car for just ONE hour while they workout?

I absolutely hate standing in line at the supermarket, being in line at the bank, trying to workout and it seems you've always got some rude-*ss individual talking as loud as he/she can on the cell, like everyone wants to hear whats going on in their life, lol.

One of my biggest peeves is talking to a friend or acquaintence you havent seen for awhile and right in the middle of the conversation, they'll cut you off to grab a cell call from their mom or someone they've already talked to 3 times that day and keep holding up their finger saying, "Just a minute". I just think it's rude. Whats voice mail for anyways?
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Cell phone yappers rank right up there with girls that wear make up to the gym --as far as being an annoyance....Wearing makeup while working out is just plain GROSS -- not to mention totally bad for your skin!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So I just have to get this out of my system. Yesterday at the gym I was happily cruising along with my treadmill workout and this girl hops on the one right next to me. But, oh wait, she gets a phone call before she can start. So she stands there on the treadmill yacking away for like 10 minutes periodically looking over at me to (possibly?) see if I am annoyed, (why yes, I am annoyed) but I keep looking ahead trying to focus. She finally gets off her phone and starts jogging. Good for her. Yay! But, oh wait, her phone rings again and she must stop and take this very important call. So back to standing motionless on the machine again for another 5-7 minutes. Still, I am working away. She finally gets off and gets back to her jogging. (Good for her because I can't jog at all. Seriously.) This is when she starts burping her garlic lunch. The guys at the gym have been kind enough to turn the fan on us today which helps because it is normally about 90 degrees in my gym. However, this fan now blows her (chinese? greek? italian?) lunch burps directly into my face. I had one of those fantastic moments where you see yourself just reach over, push someone down and continue on your merry way. Oh that would have felt good. Luckily, I was able to finish my time without screaming at her about her stink or knocking her over.

Thanks for listening. Normally I am quite pleasant and can ignore things like that but I am a little over-stressed lately. :happy:

The gym I used to belong to had a rule that all phones had to be turned off, the reason given was that gym time was "me time" in their view and people's phones going off were considered unfair to everybody else.

That girl sounds a right selfish pig. Shame you couldn't turn the fan on full-blast and then place it right in front of her face :laugh:

Next time she gets on the treadmill, bung a toilet freshener under the magnet bit, that should sort her :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cell phone yappers rank right up there with girls that wear make up to the gym --as far as being an annoyance....Wearing makeup while working out is just plain GROSS -- not to mention totally bad for your skin!

People wearing makeup at the gym is your rant? Seriously?

Some of us come right from work and work out...and my skin is perfectly fine, thank you.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Some of us come right from work and work out...and my skin is perfectly fine, thank you.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of fully made up women in the gym. I have done the after work workout as well, but I usually have face cleanser in my gym bag. But to each his own. If I wore makeup while working out, I'd end up looking worse than I do with no makeup.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    As for cell phones....I use mine to record my work out so I am sure I look like i am texting or something but oh well. I don't answer anything. It is usually on vibrate. My husband is guilty of answering a phone while I am in the middle of a sentence. It is horrible since his is on vibrate and I did not hear it ring. I am talking and all of a sudden he is answering the phone. We have serious discussion in our house on cell phone etiquitte. Put the darn thing down.

Make up at the gym....Correct me if I am wrong. Coming from work is one thing. I come from work and usually have make up on. Granted it looks like it has been on all day. I think she might be referring to women who come to the gym dolled up. I mean seriously dolled up. They look like they are trying to impress and often are not sweating.

I can relate to all the rants. Some days my tolerance is just not normal for little things.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm not a fan of fully made up women in the gym. I have done the after work workout as well, but I usually have face cleanser in my gym bag. But to each his own. If I wore makeup while working out, I'd end up looking worse than I do with no makeup.

I would end up looking like a panda :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I really dont see why this is such a big deal. You should be totally focused on your workout by either watching the tvs in the gym, listening to music, or doing something that should keep your mind off everyone else in the gym. If they were cackling or saying something about someone in the gym, then thats kinda different bc that IS annoying. But dont assume that other people havent noticed you having bad breath at one point in your life or you doing some annoying habit. We all have it....

On the flip side though... there are times where ranting is good for you! So rant on! BUT MY rant is that this just wasnt even worth fussing over, at least not publicly. If you want to go rant about something this minut, then go yell at your pillow, talk to your dog, or run a few extra miles to help burn off your steam that seems to of been building up for a while since you are ranting over something pretty harmless.

you must be the rude phone talking, garlic burping culprit! :laugh:

Besides there is such a thing as gym manners, you know that everyone is there for the same purpose so get off your phone because IT IS DISTRACTING to everyone in the gym, not to mention just a flat lack of common sense and manners. If you can't be separated from your precious phone for 30 minutes it's time to buy a treadmill and workout at home.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Another thing, you don't need perfume at the gym, or for the work day in general. Perfume just makes it hard for the people around you to breathe. IF you wear perfume during the day do the gym a favor and wipe your neck and wrists and whatever other body parts you slathered with perfume down with a wet cloth before working out.

Ok, that's my add to the rant :bigsmile:
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    About the make up thing, I too work out after work and am made up. Normally, I also would look like a panda, but my eyeliner and mascara are fabulous and stay on despite the buckets of sweat - the brand is Make Up For Ever and it really does stay on.