Sore Calves From Running

Options
Hi so I've just got back into running and am doing a mix of longer runs on the treadmill and shorter runs outdoors. I find that I start to get tight calves while running and they can get quite sore if I do a long run.

At the moment my warm up is 2 sets of 12 squats and lunges and a 2 min walk. Can anyone recommend a better way to warm up my calves and some good stretches for afterwards?

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Try calf raises. I do 20 squats and 20 calf raises before my runs. Really makes a difference after a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwLzBJYoWlI

Love em.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Change the incline on the treadmill during your run. That helps a lot. Also, after stretches I do ( I will just attempt to describe them). Sit on the floor, legs stretched out and grab your toes pulling towards you. If you can't reach your toes use a towel and pull on the ends of the towel. Also, stand up, put one foot in front of you and point and flex your toes several times, then rotate your foot to the right and to the left. Finally, try a roller on your calves. You can pick one up for about $15. Generally they come with a handout of various exercises, but google videos and you will find a ton of information.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You're sore because you just got back into running. Dunno if the warm up or stretching is going to do anything for you. Wear your calf soreness as a badge of honor.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of time if I'm getting soreness in my calves I have to check my form. I think about landing mid-foot, bending the knees, and bringing the heel down so the calves can relax at the end of each landing.

When the incline is steeper, bend your knees more.

I also use these stretches after I run, just to keep everything loose:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Good luck :D
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Now that you have stretches, do them. You can warm up before a run then stretch, stretch in the middle of your run, and always after. Hold them for at least thirty seconds twice.
    I used to have a hip flexor issue that wouldn't go away but once I was diligent about stretching, it improved.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    29283779.jpg
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    For me sore is good!!! That means I have pushed my self to the fullest!!! When I ran 5 miles a few times without being sore, it was time to push myself to run 5.5 miles. Then I went home sore and happy!!
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys.

TBH I was concerned about the calve soreness because when I used to run I always felt it in my thighs and bum and never in my calves!
  • bumblebums
    Options

TBH I was concerned about the calve soreness because when I used to run I always felt it in my thighs and bum and never in my calves!

Are you using a different gait? My calves are more involved now that I use a forefoot strike (used to be a heel striker).
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Are you using a different gait? My calves are more involved now that I use a forefoot strike (used to be a heel striker).

I'm attempting to run so my foot hits the ground in the centre rather than the heel hitting the floor first. I read this was a better way to run so you don't cause so much stress on your knees? My pace is slower atm, towards the end I am probably running pretty slow but just trying to finish. However I've been running faster each time so hopefully this will improve.
  • bumblebums
    Options

I'm attempting to run so my foot hits the ground in the centre rather than the heel hitting the floor first. I read this was a better way to run so you don't cause so much stress on your knees? My pace is slower atm, towards the end I am probably running pretty slow but just trying to finish. However I've been running faster each time so hopefully this will improve.

Well, there's your answer--your calves work harder when you use that gait. They'll catch up, just give them time.

And yes, as someone above suggested, calf raises help--I do them with a 45 lb plate in each hand (they can more than handle it, since each foot has to propel your entire body). You can challenge yourself by doing one-legged calf raises--good for balance, too.