changing it up Hiit lifting to runnjng & cardio

Options
Hi, thought I'd ask. Will be doing 2nd 5K maybe switch to 10K next week. Stopped HIIT lifting and switched to all running. Letting the muscles heal and rest. Anyone else switch up?

Replies

• Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    Wonder if this got post
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on this being a long term change or just until after you've done your 5K?
  • Winston1717
    Options
    After the 5 or 10K I will start up again. I mix weights and cardio etc. But lately the change has mad my body feel better
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Winston1717
    Options
    Hi Alta. What are your thoughts on this?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i started adding lifting to my existing running routine a few weeks ago, and despite being sore a lot, my running speed has actually increased a fair bit. i do take extra days off whenever i feel it's needed though, and funnily, that's the extra rest day that both, my running and lifting plans prescribe, and which i had ignored when i was just running.
    i have to admit, am not too goal oriented - working on a 10k, and i already know it's going to take me longer to get there with the added strain of lifting, but overall i think this works out for me. and i am making progress on both, just slower than probably possible if i did either or...
    from what i've read, too much lifting will hold you back running and vice versa, if you want to be a runner, just do the complimentary lifting that will even out the muscle balance and make you a better runner, if you want to be a lifter... you get the point.

just do what feels right, and then move on...
  • Winston1717
    Options
    Thanks..do not necessarily want to be a runner as a buddy of mine was a 26.2 er and has had to have hip replacement etc at 46. Just want be overall fit and strong. BTW I found Tart Cherry Juice helps with soreness and inflammation
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hi Alta. What are your thoughts on this?

I bumped so someone else with similar experience might see it. If I were you, I will continue to do a light strength training workout, even just dumbbells at home for 15 minutes and some bodyweight exercises, and continue running.