Can formerly obese people really get fit/abs?

Options
I ask for my own personal reason. I'm technically still "obese" but blood pressure wise, I'm BELOW average (: I usually range at 76 and my doctor said that means i'm in good shape. That made me happy. But I don't look the part. Will I ever get a lean physique? I don't do cardio but I lift 3x a week and eat at a deficit and while I see that my clothes fit different, I feel like I look the same? Will I ever lose the fat rolls and dunlap (spare tire, lower pooch, front butt, etc) and love handles and look anything remotely similar to this: tumblr_mjv3gqKLFz1s8p19yo1_500.jpg

Minus the boobs? I just get disappointed, I guess. I'm in smaller clothes but I still look big.

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    First, you are confusing heart rate with blood pressure. The 76 would be a heart rate. Blood pressure is given as one number over another. For example, 122/84. As an african american , that is a set of number you want to watch.
    Regarding your main question, it is possible but will take much dedication and effort over a long period of time. However even if you don't achieve that specific look you can have a fit and strong core.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    This look is achieved at a much lower body fat percentage. My guess is ttis picture is in at least the athletic range.

Being that you are lifting while you are obses means that you will retain more muscle as you lose and have more muscle mass than someone small that starts lifting will have. It is easier to retain it than build it, particularly for women. This will work in your favor.

On the other side of the equation is loose skin. It varies from person to person, based on a variety of factors, as to how much loose skin, if any, the person will have. Even so, regardless of where this comes out, you will achieve a lot if you keep it up.

I will tell you though that I was a size smaller (or slightly more) for the same weight after adding weight lifting. It does change your shape. I have some loose skin from three pregnancies but I still rock this body the best I have ever done. Keep it up!

As for losing the pooch, yes you can. It takes a lower body fat. Keep in mind that women are predetermined to biologically keep far in certain spots for reproductive reasons. Having said that, with dedication, you will reduce this to a great degree over what you have now.

It is important, however, to celebrate the variety of looks of women. My *kitten* shape, for example, is different from the one I like the most. Some women keep more boobage. Some women have different shapes, different looks for their thighs, hips, waist, etc. after reading many threads on here, I aim for being the best my body can be rather an a specific look. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't base my goals on wanting a cerain look but rather comparing ourselves to others too specifically may not always be the best idea.

My advice? Keep lifting. Keep learning. Work on your diet (generic statement- did not attempt to look at your diary). Celebrate the changes as you see them. Get your gym to do a caliper body fat test (unless you can afford the medical kind--forgot the name). Keep taking pictures. Keep the faith!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/985079-this-is-a-photoshop-signed-a-graphic-artist-with-pics?page=7

That's not to say she isn't truly fit and looks that great in real life, but I think you should read the link above. :)
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    U ain't alone! I went from 225 to 175 a few years ago doing only cardio, i think shot of that was muscle, then i got pregnant and packed on 60 lbs! Shot up to257! Now I'm at 168. I'm stuck like a thumbtack! I would love to look like that girl, but there is not enough time in the world! Lol. Best odd luck to u
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Depends how much extra skin you have/how fat you were. I've seen some amazing transformations from flat out obese people into Abs. The body is an amazing thing
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes you can get fit and have abs:) I am not trying to brag, but I started off at 280.6 pounds, and finally hit 222.6 yesterday:) I have alittle more weight to drop but check out my profile picture...anything is possible if you put your mind, soul and heart into it!!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    This look is achieved at a much lower body fat percentage. My guess is ttis picture is in at least the athletic range.

Being that you are lifting while you are obses means that you will retain more muscle as you lose and have more muscle mass than someone small that starts lifting will have. It is easier to retain it than build it, particularly for women. This will work in your favor.

On the other side of the equation is loose skin. It varies from person to person, based on a variety of factors, as to how much loose skin, if any, the person will have. Even so, regardless of where this comes out, you will achieve a lot if you keep it up.

I will tell you though that I was a size smaller (or slightly more) for the same weight after adding weight lifting. It does change your shape. I have some loose skin from three pregnancies but I still rock this body the best I have ever done. Keep it up!

As for losing the pooch, yes you can. It takes a lower body fat. Keep in mind that women are predetermined to biologically keep far in certain spots for reproductive reasons. Having said that, with dedication, you will reduce this to a great degree over what you have now.

It is important, however, to celebrate the variety of looks of women. My *kitten* shape, for example, is different from the one I like the most. Some women keep more boobage. Some women have different shapes, different looks for their thighs, hips, waist, etc. after reading many threads on here, I aim for being the best my body can be rather an a specific look. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't base my goals on wanting a cerain look but rather comparing ourselves to others too specifically may not always be the best idea.

My advice? Keep lifting. Keep learning. Work on your diet (generic statement- did not attempt to look at your diary). Celebrate the changes as you see them. Get your gym to do a caliper body fat test (unless you can afford the medical kind--forgot the name). Keep taking pictures. Keep the faith!
    My gym has this electrical bf measuring thingy. And thank you for all the advice. I don't want to look like her, exactly, just in good shape and what not. My ideal bf would be 18 percent.

Thansk everyone else, too!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Ok, first of all, I'm pretty sure that image is photoshopped, and the boobs are probably a combination of implants and more photoshopping.

Secondly, you probably can look lean and muscular. I found some women here on MFP that look fantastic and so I hung around to see what they were doing. Almost all of them were strength training in some way or another.

The women I look up to here on MFP have gorgeous silhouettes, so that I know is attainable. Whether or not you can get abs that look cut... well, there's probably some tanner, some bronzer painted on after the tanning, and some more editing in photoshop to make her look like that... AFTER she body builds all day every day...

Try to find a role model that has a similar lifestyle as you do, like a full time job, or kids or whatever. Don't try to look like cartoons in magazines, because most of them don't REALLY look like that.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you are very large, you're skin is probably stretched out, and you will probably need surgery to remove excess skin, but yeah, you can look like that if you do the work.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    A good book: Secrets of Skinny Chicks, in which the author profiles 20 plus women with those "hot bodies".

The take away:

You have to train like an athlete to look like that..count every calorie, reduce your body fat to almost a dangerous level for a woman.

I think unless you aspire to be a fitness model, that can of goal is unrealistic.

There's nothing wrong with looking like a healthy adult woman who has lived a life! My pooch is cause I created a whole human being...!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I've never had children. I don't plan on being a fitness model, but I'd like to be a fitness trainer which is why I asked. I'm hovering in the 190s and I don't think I'll have a lot of loose skin, but I guess I'll have no way of knowing that.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A good book: Secrets of Skinny Chicks, in which the author profiles 20 plus women with those "hot bodies".

The take away:

You have to train like an athlete to look like that..count every calorie, reduce your body fat to almost a dangerous level for a woman.

I think unless you aspire to be a fitness model, that can of goal is unrealistic.

There's nothing wrong with looking like a healthy adult woman who has lived a life! My pooch is cause I created a whole human being...!

I don't think training like an athlete, counting calories, and reducing your bodyfat is unrealistic if that's what someone chooses to prioritize. It's not that huge of a time commitment (maybe 14 hours per week between 10 hrs training and the odds and ends of planning and keeping track of everything). That's about the time commitment of any hobby, and less than most people spend watching TV.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I don't think training like an athlete, counting calories, and reducing your bodyfat is unrealistic if that's what someone chooses to prioritize. It's not that huge of a time commitment (maybe 14 hours per week between 10 hrs training and the odds and ends of planning and keeping track of everything). That's about the time commitment of any hobby, and less than most people spend watching TV.
    Agreed. And I'm thinking that most people on here do that now, at least the counting calories aspect of it.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    deleted.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    <-- Have a ways to go to look like the pic, the biggest hinderance will be flappy skin. But it's doable!

I weigh 152lbs, but am a size 4/6US (8/10UK). BF% is 29 (aiming for 24)

Yep. Doable.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I went from a 44 inch waist to a 29 when I lost the weight and I can definitely see my abs, but with the loose skin I am not nearly as defined as I want to be. My trainer has been helping me out with this for a couple months and I do ab classes 3 times a week. You will get there, but remember to be realistic if you are losing 100 or more pounds and know that the stomach and thighs are usually the last to go and that there will be skin left there. Best of luck to you!
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    I know there are a lot of people on this site that swear by heavy lifting only, but they have no leg to stand on. Even my heavy duty body builder friends do some cardio. Google "Body for Life cardio plan." It's a 20 minute, progressively more intense cardio session.

But, yes, you can be all kinds of ripped if you stick with it.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I went from a 44 inch waist to a 29 when I lost the weight and I can definitely see my abs, but with the loose skin I am not nearly as defined as I want to be. My trainer has been helping me out with this for a couple months and I do ab classes 3 times a week. You will get there, but remember to be realistic if you are losing 100 or more pounds and know that the stomach and thighs are usually the last to go and that there will be skin left there. Best of luck to you!
    I guess I better get some staples.

@Johnny- I do cardio occasionally, just not like, hour long sessions of it. I generally do HIIT after my lifts.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    I guess I better get some staples.

@Johnny- I do cardio occasionally, just not like, hour long sessions of it. I generally do HIIT after my lifts.

That's what the Body for Life cardio session is. Intervals increasing in intensity for 20 minutes.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    look anything remotely similar to this:

Yes, if you lose the weight and build some muscle, plus also have professional hair and make up, professional lighting, a boob job and extensive photoshopping.

In fact, you could probably skip all the rest and just go right for photoshop.

You can definitely get fit if you stick with it. You can get your body fat percentage down. You may (probably will) have to contend with loose skin which might tighten up somewhat if you are young and have elastic skin, or might never be that tight again without surgery. I know you said 'minus the boobs' but I can't resist pointing out that a woman with a low enough body fat percentage to show abs will not have boobs that big without surgery and/or serious photo editing.