Can coffee help you lose weight???

Options
Okay, so I don't drink coffee anymore and I've gained a good 60+ pounds since I've stopped drinking it. I used to be skinny and drink coffee all of the time. I've been thinking about it lately and it seems like that's when I gained all my weight is when I stopped drinking coffee. My sister also gave up coffee and she ended up gaining weight too. I finally put two and two together and thought maybe the coffee was helping me with my weight. Anyone have any insight on this topic?

Replies

• dreena222
    dreena222 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    very interesting
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the caffeine in coffee curbs your appetite a little bit.

Whenever I drink coffee with a meal, I always tend to eat less. Maybe that's just me?
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    While caffeine is a thermogenic, lack of coffee did not make you gain 60lbs.
  • pinkiecarrie
    pinkiecarrie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the caffeine in coffee curbs your appetite a little bit.

Whenever I drink coffee with a meal, I always tend to eat less. Maybe that's just me?

I was thinking about the coffee curbing my appetite because I have a food diary from when I was drinking coffee and my meals were way smaller than they are now and now I'm hungry all of the time. So maybe it was from the coffee curbing my appetite.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you were choosing to drink coffee in place of eating a meal then replaced your coffee with food, I suppose that it could be correlated. It sometimes curbs my appetite, if I'm not truly hungry. Other than that, no coffee does not have any magic properties that would make you lose weight.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's possible that the caffeine did something to your appetite, or maybe made you feel more energetic. If you drank it black & sugar free, it has very few calories, so if you're someone who doesn't eat much if you have a lot of liquid in your stomach, that could have made a difference I suppose.

I guess what I'm saying is, maybe. But I'm skeptical that it made 60lbs worth of difference by itself...
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You read various studies about how coffee can actually be good for you and other studies where it's bad for you. Don't know who to believe. I drink at least a cup of coffee. If you add so much sugar and cream to your coffee, that stuff is fattening and won't help you lose weight. If you drink it straight up black (which is tough for me), then you could lose some weight.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a stimulant. Stimulants make you burn more calories and eat less. Ergo coffee helps you lose weight. The active ingredient in most diet pills is caffeine. Go figure.
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Maybe try drinking it black with every meal (if you can do that, I know a lot of people can't drink black coffee) for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference?
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    While caffeine is a thermogenic, lack of coffee did not make you gain 60lbs.

^^^^^^
  • SunchipsCathy
    SunchipsCathy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of this sometimes, but don't let coffee become a meal replacement, however.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I dont know, but it keeps me from killing and destroying!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is indeed an appetite suppressant, but the effect isn't all that dramatic.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Did you replace the caffeine with soda? Did large coffee quantities act similar to the idea of drinking a glass of water before a meal so you will eat less as your stomach will be full with the liquid? But lack of coffee definitely was not the reason that you gained 60lbs.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It might have some metabolism-boosting effect, but not 60 pounds' worth. Maybe you're compensating for the lack of coffee by eating something that has far more calories, or, as other have suggested, maybe you're less energetic because you've forgone the stimulant effect of coffee. As you probably have read, coffee in moderate amounts has been found to increase mental acuity.

Why don't you try having a cup of coffee with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of skim milk with no sweetener? Or better yet, black.
  • pinkiecarrie
    pinkiecarrie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe try drinking it black with every meal (if you can do that, I know a lot of people can't drink black coffee) for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference?

Yeah, I'm going to try it and see what happens. I've been off of coffee for years so it'll be interesting. lol
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Drinking coffee can actually help you to lose weight. Caffeine is a stimulant, which causes your body to release catecholamines. Fat cells are then targeted by the catecholamines. The body fat that is stored in the fact cells is then used for fuel. Hence, by drinking coffee you experience weight loss
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Possibly that you ate more when not drinking coffee. I love coffee I wish it helped me lose weight. Many people have told me giving up coffee helped them lose but I only put milk in it. I refuse to give it up!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Appetite Suppression

While the caffeine in coffee may assist in suppressing your appetite, it only works until the effect of the caffeine subsides. According to the Mayo Clinic, there is not enough evidence to support that drinking coffee can assist in long-term weight loss. In order to suppress your appetite for a significant amount of time, excessive amounts of coffee may be necessary, which can have negative effects on your health.

Negligible Weight Loss

The Mayo Clinic also states that even though caffeine may stimulate thermogenesis, or heat production via calorie burning, the amount of calories lost from this are probably negligible.

Because caffeine is a diuretic, coffee might cause short-term weight loss due to increased urination and water loss. But be aware, that just because the scale temporarily says you have lost weight, that does not mean the weight is likely to stay off.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

If you can't drink black coffee, try buying a bottle of cold brewed coffee or making it that way yourself. That process removes all or most of the bitterness and you can drink it hot or iced.