Stubbornly Determined to Succeed

Options
Hello Everyone,

I began my “lifestyle change” April 23, 2013. I started doing Weight Watchers, but after three weeks realized that was not the program for me and began to count calories. I have been using MFP for 3 weeks now and loving the ease of it. Being I can be a tad methodical, I enjoy knowing how many calories I am consuming per day. I also purchased and began using a Fitbit two weeks ago.

I am setting “mini-goals” for myself as a way to make this lifestyle change not seem overwhelming. I have thus far lost 14.4 pounds and need to lose another 12.6 to reach my first mini-goal. From there I will set another mini-goal.

I have been lurking on the boards for about two weeks now, but figured it was time to come out of my shell and say “Hello!”. I’m hoping to meet some new people and share in some great conversations.

~Kelly

Replies

• emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! :)
  • Kellyerin1217
    Options
    Thank You :smile:
  • laluce63
    laluce63 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, Kelly:

Nice to meet you.

My weight has been an issue for so long that I have lost track of how many times I have started and re-started. I noticed your topic and thought I would join you.

I too can be stubborn and so WANT to succeed. So I have started again this morning. I hope we can continue to help each other out. I had lost 30 pounds from May 2012 through February of this year. I have gained 12 pounds back and want to get back on track.

I like the idea of min-goals so I am going to start one today. Thanks for the idea. Good luck to both of us.

Lucy
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the WW magic number really seemed to dumb it down for me. I needed to know what the numbers mean & follow my nutrition and calories, so this is working great for me too. I am going to look into a fitbit &/or heart-rate monitor this week. Hope to see you around!
  • bluebelltinkerbell
    bluebelltinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey I agree, cals in v cals out. All you need to know really. Why make it more complex than it needs to be? Love the mini goal idea too
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was a former weight watcher also and it didn't work for me. I am now seeing a dietitian who is helping me achieve my goal. I like to see the nutritional value in what I am eating and not only the points. The dietitian has me on 1400 calories and 70 protein. Ever y time I eat a protein I have to have fruit. I have never eaten so much fruit in my life like I have the past 2 weeks. Good Luck to you, add me if you need a motivation buddy!!!

I also have a fitbit but I don't have it hooked to MFP, I did for awhile but the activity numbers between the 2 sites didn't jive. So I do fitbit separately.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm a WW dropout as well. I didn't get the big nutritional picture on WW and I found myself eating a lot of processed foods and adding chemically stuff to other chemically stuff just so I could eat more. I was avoiding good for me foods because of the points they cost.

It's a great program, but I wasn't good at working it.

I love MFP, I am learning so much by reading the forums and I like seeing all of my nutritional goals in front of me.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    SimpleStepsHealthCoach Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly!

Welcome to MFP. It's a great community and a great way to keep you on track to your goals (or mini-goals :smile: ). You will get out of MFP what you put into it; meaning you need to be honest with yourself, your documentation, and your follow through on keeping true to the goal numbers you set. However, it sounds like you're already on the right path by committing to a 'lifestyle change'. When I personally committed lifestyle change is when I finally started getting the results I always wanted.

I'm glad you're here and I look forward to seeing your progression.

Cheers.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi - Another newbie and Weight Watcher dropout here. I was another one who "worked the program" by eating more fake, low point foods just to satisfy my hunger. It wasn't sustainable for me.

I recently decided to simply count calories in/out, and that's how I ended up here. I'm taking what I learned and liked from other programs and leaving the rest. For example, I did South Beach Diet successfully at first, and I will seek out whole grains, but I'd rather have REAL brown sugar in my oatmeal and just count the calories! I just don't want to stress over it!

Anyway, congrats on your initial loss, and the setting of mini-goals. Good luck!
  • pjwarre
    pjwarre Posts: 15
    Options
    I took interest in the Weight watchers, but It didn't really float my boat I ADORE the myfitnesspal app though its a life saver! I do have a weight watchers recipe book and it's pretty helpful for dinners. I also have a 'cooking light' book that's pretty great too.