Spagetti Squash...Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    We grow it fresh and love it. My sister uses it for spaghetti noodles but haven't tried that as I am not a lover of sauce but have thought that when the new crop comes in I may try it with sauce.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Crunchy? are you sure you are cooking it and then shredding with a fork?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I really like spaghetti squash, but I don't use it like spaghetti. I tend to fork it full of holes, microwave it about five minutes, then shred it. It's usually still got a little crispness to it, but you can bake it too. There's a really yummy recipe for a spaghetti squash au graten too. http://dandydishes.blogspot.ca/2011/10/spaghetti-squash-au-gratin.html#.UarD3UDCaSo

I've made it with non-fat sour cream and reduced fat cheese and it still turns out good.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!!!!
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Love it! I just had it for dinner tonight! It's great because you can eat lots of it without taking in a lot of calories. It's slightly crunchy but not in a way that is unappetizing.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Definitely yay, but yeah, I don't view it as a pasta substitute. I've tried it a few different ways, and the way that my family (and I) liked best was Au Gratin: http://dandydishes.blogspot.com/2011/10/spaghetti-squash-au-gratin.html#.USemL1rwJuJ
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but based on the comments I'll have to try it out, Thanks!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!
  • MelissaDoc
    MelissaDoc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've never tried spaghetti squash, but would love to try it myself or sneak it to the hubby and see if he notices ;)

Can you buy it in a store or do you have to make it yourself?
  • bethheyyy
    bethheyyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    YAY! Its supper yummy. :)
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Love it, but mine always comes out too watery for use with spaghetti. My favorite way is baked till almost done, scarped out and then sauteed with fresh garlic and butter.
  • OliviaWalton81
    Options
    WOW!! Thanks for the opinion's! I'm going to give it a try.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    never had it but yes.
  • debush1
    debush1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love when I make spaghetti using squash....I also use ground turkey or chicken....It has a bit of a crunch texture but sooooo good...my kids really like it too!
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's inexpensive...give it a shot!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have it all the time and love it as an alternative to pasta. It's not expensive, so my advice is buy one and bake it - if you don't like it, throw it out and you're only out a few dollars, but my instincts say you will like it. Very good with pasta sauce and some grated cheese.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's okay.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I like it with an H.

jk
  • sunnyface86
    Options
    Love it. Don't view it as pasta otherwise you'll get thrown off by the taste at first. I just put with some ragu sauce, garlic, and red pepper and part skim moz. Tastes great.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    As long as I don't try to pretend it's pasta, it's fine. Fairly sweet like most cucurbits and the texture is fun.