Gastric Bypass - I dont understand

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Although I think that societal efforts should be directed towards assisting people in staying at a normal weight, I'm loath to judge people who have weight loss surgery if they are morbidly obese and already have made several attempts to lose weight. It must be terribly difficult at that stage unless you are completely committed. The fear of the difficulties associated with losing a lot of weight is one reason I've always controlled my own weight.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to think gastric bypass was too dangerous for anyone, but then a loved aunt died of an obesity related stoke at 49. Maybe the surgery would have saved her.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How ironic that this is on the motivation and support board, and so many people are being anything but motivational or supportive.

There is nothing easy about WLS. Both the traditional and non-traditional ways of losing weight are difficult.
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Most of you people make me want to scream. DO NOT JUDGE until you have walked in our shoes. Gastric bypass or any kind of bariatric surgery is not an easy fix. It is our last resort after a life of morbid obesity. If you can't support your friend in HIS VERY PERSONAL DECISION you need to back out of his life for awhile because it is people like so many of you that help us to fail. Our kind of obesity is different than just adding 10 pounds every year and waking up at forty and finding out you are fat. It is a disease and this surgery is just a tool to help us treat it just like insulin is to diabetics. Would you tell him to stop taking his insulin if his sugar was down a few times because he watched his carbs? Hell no. So be a friend. Be supportive. Or step away from him. His road is and will be hard enough without being judged. I wish him all the best. The horror stories are exaggerated. Most of us have amazing success with this surgery as an assist to help us make the right choices.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I really think that people should have to work with a dietician as well as a therpist that specializes in over eating before being considered for the surgery. The surgery is just a quick fix but many times nobody addresses the issues as to why they are at the weight they are in the first place.

It is required by many insurance companies pre-op. It's not an easy process to have weight loss surgery. There is a lot of hoop jumping just to get approved for the surgery and for my husband and I, meeting with a therapist and nutritionist was required.

Also, I want to get kinda pissy and *****y/defensive about your comment about "why THEY are at the weight they are in the first place", but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not take it as a snarky comment. There is an ugly stigma attached to those of us who have had WLS from some folks and I have mad bat-**** crazy ninja skills that come out when I feel like I'm being looked down on or judged for my decision. :wink:

To be absolutely honest with you, it's not that we are looking down on you it's that we are bat-**** crazy jealous that you are getting the end prize! A new body, the ability to do a harder workout, the ability to stop eating, becuase you have that "tool" that we don't have.
    I don't look down, I have honestly caught myself saying (my friend had it done not that long ago) that she cheated, but I know that I'm just putting a bandaid on a wound with those words, it's better than eating my emotion, right?
    My insurance won't pay for it, and my insurance is also ****ty enough that if you mention weight loss in a doctors visit, they will not pay for any of the visit, regardless if you went in for a cold or a broken toe, if the code for weight loss or weight related anything is written in the transcript you owe at least $300.00 - the price of the doctors visit. They are rabid about not allowing anything weight related into the plan.
    So I'm doing this ignorantly, all by myself and listening to everybody say I should do this I should do that....when 1 tool, worked for someone who had the surgery.
    I believe I'm healthy, I really do - from where I was 8+ years ago I'm damn healthy....but I'm not. I'm at the highest weight I've ever been.
    So we are proud of you for losing the weight but we are rabid crazy jealous that you got there and we didn't. Period.
    That's what it's all about, getting there. Who fn cares what it took you to get there, you just have to get there. I hate this society.

Congrats on your success!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    I believe having or not having the sugery is a very personal choice. And it is not an easy fix to anything, I thought long and hard and did alot of thinking and praying before I had the lap band done. I also had to jump thur alot of hoops before my insurance would ok it. I also know when I made the choice I needed people around me to be supportive not judgmental. True friends know this is not the easy way, but another tool in a life time of changing. I wish everyone the best on whatever road they take to lose the weight. I know for me the lap band was the way after years of trying to lose the weight. I have lost 75 pounds and feeling better then I have in years. I still have a long way to go and it is not easy. I have to watch what I eat and exercise just like everyone else.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You don't get it because you've never lived it. Everyone's personal decision is simply that...theirs, and not yours to analyze. Surgery saved my life.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    How the devil can so many people judge people for what they do with their lives. Judge not for you may be judged. It's amazing, I've never in my life seen the likes of the judgements that people dish out as I have seen on this weight loss site. I take it none of you who are completely correct in your way of thinking KNOW any of these people, nor do you have a medical degree, and what about experience in psychological counseling? All of that is needed before a person gets the surgery. Those who fail after the surgery and go back into their usual habits, are not failing any worst than anyone else who counts their calories, lose, and gain it back. Nobody knows what its like unless they have done it or have a loved one who did it, and have seen close hand what is involved. I've had my say.
  • BustedBeauty
    Options
    I too have never understood how one could not lose weight on their own, but could lose weight to have the procedure. Makes no sense to me. :frown:

I have always been able to lose around 20 lbs, which when you have to lose 120 is just a splash in the bucket. There is a huge difference btwn losing that same 20 lbs that you can't seem to break past and losing an entire person.
  • BustedBeauty
    Options
    I have a legitimate question for ppl who are speaking out agains WLS: Why does it offend you? Or better yet, how does it affect you-- really....
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think that these days we are really used to "take pills for this" and "get surgery/procedures for that" and we believe it will magically make us happy and give us what we want, *even if we don't really know quite what we want*: to 'be happy' or 'look good' or 'be young forever' or something even more drastic like 'show everyone how great I really am' or 'get people to love me' etc. Surgery for any reason is hard on the body, and one lady I knew had it, lost a lot, had surgery again to remove extra skin (again, so hard on her!), and they screwed that up so that she was almost dead from internal bleeding by the time her fiance pointed out to the doctors that she was just zonked out and unconscious. I know a lot of people who have eventually gained it all back and were even more depressed, plus those who developed eating disorders as a result.

If it genuinely helps people, then it can be good for them. If it messes with their bodies and health and mental health and makes them worse off, then I think it is sad (and I'm a psychotherapist who knows a bunch of psychologists, so that is part of what I am basing it on). Surgery to me is not good or bad on its own, just is just an activity that can help people especially in accidents etc., and can also kill or harm them for life, and at any rate requires healing of the body afterwards and risks.
  • caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had an honorary uncle growing up whose sister had the surgery. It went alright for the first couple of years, but then she had continuing pain and trouble eating. The doctors tried to fix it, but it never got better. Shortly after her daughter graduated high school the lady killed herself because she couldn't take living like that any more.

Personally, I have trouble with anesthesia so it would never have been an option for me anyway but her reaction to the bypass made it so I would never even be tempted to try that. Yes, I know I have food issues but that won't be solved by surgery. I have to figure out what not to eat and what triggers overeating.

And there's another question on my mind after writing this, what happens when someone has bypass who has food allergies? Is that a contraindication for surgery? What if someone is allergic to whatever is in the lapband? Too scary to seriously contemplate in my mind.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    dumb question: why do they have to cut? why not put IN a balloon or some other device that would take up space? is it because of acids possibly destroying the material of the device?

edit: hunh - looks like they are starting to do that in some places: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bariatric_surgery#Intragastric_balloon_.28gastric_balloon.29

nyt article on it (from that wiki link): http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400EED61030F930A35752C0A9609C8B63&sec=health&pagewanted=all

^^ apparently the balloon can be fitted via a tube, and inflated in the stomach, in 15 minutes, no cutting. Seems like a safer 'boost' than taking out or damaging entire portions of the digestive tract. no FDA approval yet for the US though

OK, 0.002 incidence of serious complications:
    : "In a recently completed clinical trial involving more than 2,500 patients in Italy, serious complications occurred in 5 patients when pressure from the balloon eroded the stomach wall and caused it to burst. Two of the five patients died."

would depend on the engineering/materials of the balloon

Another article: a Canadian clinic that offers nutritional and psychological counselling with this balloon thing. The idea is that the balloon gives people initial help with appetite suppression, while they learn to eat/live differently. Costs $8000, including a year of counselling, vs $15000-25000 for the more drastic surgical options. Apparently, they serve US patients as well..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/gastric-balloon-offers-weight-loss-hope/article4327646/
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. It saved my life. I have lost and more importantly kept off over 200 pounds. No way I could have done that without my surgery. Some of us just need a little help. I have to assume your friend has done his research. why can't you just support him??
  • tlebel
    tlebel Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it either... If you can't teach yourself to eat healthy and maintain healthy habits, I would think that the weight will come back eventually. I think people are too quick to take the easy way out. In my opinion if its too easy, it is not going to work. I know someone who has the lap band. The healthy habits are not there so therefore, the weight does not come off. Just lots of throwing up b/c their stomach can't handle the crap they are putting into it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    He mentions his surgery every time I see him, I know he is excited but it's hard for me to get excited for him for 2 reasons 1. I know recovery will be hard and don't want to see anyone go through that and 2. It seems to me if he can lose 20lbs now before the surgery, and was able to before - the surgery is not needed....I mean why not just continue to cut calories and go to the gym?

I don't get it. Why is major surgery "easier"?? It's his decision and I will support him during recovery but I dont want to ask him why he thinks it's easier so figured I'd come here to try and figure it out.

It's a quick fix. Some people really need the alteration, many don't. Doctors do it because it is VERY profitable.

My mom had it done back in 08. To date, she has dropped everything and kept it off. People who were in her community groups of people who had gotten done around the same time or since have mostly dropped, then worked hard to put it all back on and then some.

There is a large mental and discipline component. For my mom she had to do it because medical issues prevented her from actually losing the weight, she didn't change her intake numbers or macro levels much since the surgery, but the food types changed drastically. (Mostly a switch from normal foods to quick absorbing foods for obvious reasons.)

Many people need to get the surgery and meet with a psych in order to lose and keep losing. Otherwise, they'll lose for a bit and then put it all back on. It's the nature of the beast, and she's seen it happen over and over for years. She's also found that people who view it as a quick fix will fail, completely and utterly. If they are mentally weak and do the surgery, they will fail. Completely and utterly. If they are afraid of pain and difficulty, they will fail, completely and utterly.

It does work, works well, but people have to work within a ruleset, and realize this is for life.

Best of luck to your friend.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    wth? i thought the surgery was for people who were several hundred pounds overweight. when i started getting back into shape i was over 100 lbs overweight and never once thought of doing it through surgery. seems unnecessary for only 100 pounds.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Someone very close to me is in the final stages of having gastric bypass. He is about 100 lbs overweight. 2 years ago he started going to the gym and cutting calories, did really well, started losing weight and was even able to get off insulin. Then he stopped watching what he eats, and started only going the gym maybe 1 time a week. Put all the weight back on and then some.

He has to lose 20lbs before his surgery so this week he is starting cutting carbs (I told him to watch his sugar and count calories but he wont listen)

He mentions his surgery every time I see him, I know he is excited but it's hard for me to get excited for him for 2 reasons 1. I know recovery will be hard and don't want to see anyone go through that and 2. It seems to me if he can lose 20lbs now before the surgery, and was able to before - the surgery is not needed....I mean why not just continue to cut calories and go to the gym?

I don't get it. Why is major surgery "easier"?? It's his decision and I will support him during recovery but I dont want to ask him why he thinks it's easier so figured I'd come here to try and figure it out.

Also why do doctors think if these people cant control their eating now they will be able to after the surgery? If they cant what difference does it make anyways? Isn't the surgery a risk with no benefit then? I know 3 people that have had the surgery and alll of them put weight back on within 3 years.

The person won't have a choice, they will either have to stick to the very strict rules of what and how much they can eat or they will fall ill.

A person at my place of work had gastric band surgery, they shed all their weight, reached their goal and seem to be keeping it that way. From what I gather, they are unable to eat very much anyway afterwards, just spoonfuls of this and that, very small amounts.

I know the person I am talking about did have too much to eat one day and said that she felt absolutely sick afterwards, she didn't do that again.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So my brother in law got bariatric surgery in Mexico yesterday. He is in his 30ties, and obese, not morbidly obese. He has no insurance, and no plan to have checkups when he gets back. I have problems understanding bariatric surgery, but doing it in Mexico, with no prep and follow-up plan???? I don’t know what to say.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I think the reason people are so pissed is ....yes.....they are jealous. BUT fast results isn't always the best route to go. I have been on here for a little over 2 years and have lost 60lbs ONLY. I had over 100lbs to lose but chose to do it myself. I have a friend who had it done when I started my weight loss efforts 2 years ago and lost 130lbs. ......but guess what? She has disgustingly sagging skin....ALOT of it. I have little from having 2 kids. I would trade my slow weight loss any day then rapid fast results that end of with nasty results. And I will NOT congratulate anyone who has had the surgery unless they follow a diet and workout plan that helped them shed all that weight. The scale can suck it...the way I look is the important thing!