Eating healthy on a STRICT budget....

Options
2»

Replies

• DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I use coupons combined with sales to cut down on food costs. Sure there are tons of coupons out there for crappy food but if you take the time to look you can find some great ones. I have been able to get pouched tuna for free, eggs for free, whole wheat pasta for free, pasta sauce for free, frozen vegetables for free, 100% whole wheat bread for $0.39, etc.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of very good advice here.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but when that craving hits, it HITS. I buy (usually at Target) the bags of either Ghiradelli squares or the Dove small squares. They're individually wrapped, and when the sweet craving hits, I'll have a Ghiradelli square or a couple of the Dove squares. It's just enough to satisfy the craving, it's cheaper, and SO many fewer calories than eating a whole candy bar. Might be worth a try.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on MFP since November (this is my new account after a hacking incident) and I've been struggling for a while now. It's not the exercise part that I'm struggling with so much as it's the eating healthy on a strict budget part. So I've decided to put it to MFPland to see if you all can help me out. So here are some details....

~ I have a wicked sweet tooth and I fail miserably when it comes to passing up the candy at the checklanes at work (I work overnight at a Target store).

~ My food budget for now is $40 every 2 weeks.

~ I'm lukewarm on most veggies. I do really like peas, corn (especially sweet corn on the cob), potatos and salads.

~ I LOVE fruit, though I have a tendency to not venture to far from fruits that I know I like.

~ I have no food allergies.

~ Though I am trying to eat cleaner I still consume a lot of processed food too.

Any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jamie

I felt for you when you said you have a wicked sweet-tooth - I am the same, in fact, it is so bad that I can't just eat one square of chocolate, it has to be the whole damn bar and a big bar at that! The other thing I found is that if I started eating sweets and chocolates, it would make me crave them even more, but if I could just refrain from eating them, the cravings started to get less and less until in the end I didn't think of it anymore (took around four days to stop the cravings).

I therefore, log everything and that stops me even wanting the sweet stuff as I just do not have enough calories left for those sort of items. It is not a hardship for me now either, because it was eating so much sweet stuff that made me put on the weight in the first place.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    At $20/week, candy is not affordable nutrition. For every dime, there's a better option.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you have to have a sweet treat that is sort of on the line of candy, but healthy. Try Diamond's Honey Roasted Almonds. A can is often on sale 2 for $5. 7 almonds are only 40 calories. You could make up bags of 7, 14, 21, etc. whatever you feel you would need to keep you satisfied and munch on them one at a time to help with your sweets craving and still be healthy. A can would probably last you all week and be a lot less expensive than the candy and much healthier. :smile:
  • FedoraNinja
    Options
    Dried beans are inexpensive, easy to cook, and very healthful.

This!

If you can find a pressure cooker used at a thrift store, you can cook presoaked beans in about the time it will take you to cook rice. Together, rice and beans make a "whole" protein and a wonderful evening meal.

Beans are the more nutritious part of the meal, so go heavy on the beans, light on the rice.

Here's a super handy chart of cooking times:
    http://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My staples are:

Brown rice
    Arborio rice
    Quinoa
    Dried beans (need rehydrating)
    Oats
    Potatoes (white and/or sweet)
    Frozen veggies
    Fresh seasonal veg when can afford to: I buy bananas every week + 1 other fruit box for the week if within budget
    Nut butter (Wholeearth or Meridian = planet and body friendly: no nasty palm oil or added sugar) [quite expensive for what it is but if you only have 1 tbsp each day it should last at least 1-2 weeks]

TIPs:
    Cut your meat intake (if you're a meat-eater) as prices are high, but when you do, I suggest sourcing your meat locally, so go to the butchers and your local fisherman? If you live no where near these places, then obviously just do what you can.
    Fish from local fisherman (I live by sea so this is possible - do what you can)
    Meat from local butchers
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much on the same budget and manage quite easily on $20 a week.

I mainly shop at Aldi.

My weekly shop usually includes:

Quick oats

rice

frozen veggies

Whole wheat pasta

block of cheese

loaf of bread - I freeze this and it lasts a week or two.

apples

minced beef

chicken breast
  • tmccarter11
    Options
    Your freezer is your friend. I freeze almost anything either as a leftover or as extra of something that i bought on sale. Meat can be super cheap on sale and if you freeze indiviual servings, there are more meals in the future and you dont have to worry about it going bad. Good luck ;)
  • kslade81
    kslade81 Posts: 3
    Options
    If an outside garden isn't an option, try planting a few staples inside in pots. We live in Alaska, but being from the south, I'm used to having a garden. Right now I'm growing tomatoes, spinach, basil, zucchini, cucumber and bell peppers in 5 gal buckets in a sunny window.

Check your local food bank or Aldi. You would be surprised at some of the foods you will find. I work for a wellness coalition in my community and one of our recent programs we offered was Healthy Cooking on a Dime. Fish is a very common food here, and we found out that nuts were very common at the food bank. So one of our themes was dealing with what's available. We demoed how to cook an oven fried nut crusted fish. Very yummy and good for you! Beans, Beans, Beans was another theme, as we have a large Filipino population. Sweet potato and bean enchiladas were a hit! The class got to make their own to take home and freeze for later use. Our snack that night that we provided to them was a homemade roasted red pepper hummus. I hate hummus I buy in the store. But this was great! Most of the recipes I used I got from sites like allrecipes. I would send them to the dietitian that was teaching the classes and she would alter the recipes to make them healthier. Then I would try it out at home, playing with the seasonings.

Choosemyplate.gov also has some great resources. There are sections on eating healthy on a budget. The key is to not limit the foods you try. You'd be amazed at some of the great tasting foods out there. Kale chips...my latest craze. Just play with the seasonings you like, toss with a little EVOO, throw in the oven for a bit, and wham! A crispy, healthy snack when you want. They keep pretty well in a ziploc bag.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of frozen chicken breasts at Sam's every couple of weeks, and buy most everything else at Aldi. Frozen fruits and veggies are a good deal...just use what you need and leave the rest in the freezer. If you have a sweet tooth, try sprinkling Stevia (which you can get at Aldi) and cinnamon on a baked sweet potato or oatmeal... it's not candy, but it's cheap, healthy, and pretty tasty.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    cut the processed foods. :) anything you buy that's "just add water" or "microwave for __ minutes!" and trust me, i love hot pockets. but, $3 for 2 of them is way to expensive for a microwave sandwich. take a good look at your processed foods and figure out what they are exactly. hamburger helper is pasta with dehydrated sauce. you still have to add everything else. you're paying for convenience and packaging.

apples bananas and oranges are usually the cheapest fruits, but look for the seasonal ones too like peaches.there are truckloads of them around right now. look for the roadside produce stands. watermelons are also starting to appear.

check out the bulk sections of your grocery stores for beans, grains and nuts. and check out their weekly fliers too. and compare the stuff that you want. i made that mistake this week. overpaid for blackberries by about a dollar.

sometimes nuts are cheaper in the baking aisle of the grocery store. sometimes canned fruit and vegetables are cheaper and easier to manage than fresh. make your own call. i get canned beans because i do not have enough of my sh** together to remember to soak them. maybe one day. and i don't own a crock pot.

i roast a whole chicken on sundays. i have found them for around $2.75-$5.75 depending on the store and how it's packaged. It feeds my and hubs for about 5 meals and we each get about 3 or 4 ounces at a time. it takes about an hour and a half at 375 degrees. you can also throw in some rice and veggies and have a whole meal in one pot that will last a few days. it can also make a very risch and tasty soup.

the freezer is your friend. i freeze quinoa (i make a big pot at one time) and when i'm ready to use the rest of it, tah dah! defrost. it can be sweet or savory, go in soups or salads, and is wonderful topped with chicken and veggies.

greek yogurt is my favorite staple. i eat it for snacks and light meals. you can make smoothies if you have some fruit that needs to be eaten, and you can also put it in the freezer if you have left over smoothie and make frozen yogurt out of it without doing anything special. great value (walmart brand) is the cheapest and to me, has the closest flavor to fage.

turkey bacon is half the price of regular at walmart. sweet potatoes are dirt cheap and absolutely yummy. one of my favorite go-to quick cheap easy recipes- microwave a sweet potato. but a can of black beans rotel tomatoes on to warm. add cumin, coriander, maybe a little turmeric and some chipotle. microwave a serving of turkey bacon. smother the sweet potato in a serving of black bean/tomato mix top with crumbled turkey bacon and add some cheese on top if calories allow.

PACK YOUR MEALS TO TAKE TO WORK. I can't tell you how much money this has saved me over the last 8 months. it makes me facepalm on a regular basis. :) hope this helps at least a little.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Mosley35
    Mosley35 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    For those candy cravings maybe pick up a bag of dark chocolate chocolate chips, they are much cheaper and easy to portion out. Just make sure you take one serving and walk away.