Is your 'goal' a number or a look?

Options

Replies

• starmickey03
    starmickey03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My original goal was a number. But then I began Insanity and started to gain weight. My weight was rising but my body began to look better. I was more toned and I felt better about myself. I completed Insanity today and only lost 5 lbs during the 63 days, but lost 6 inches off my waist, a couple off my arms, and a couple off my legs and hips.

The scale doesn't matter to me anymore.
  • sheisadventure
    Options
    Both weight and look!

At first I was obsessed with the number, but as I'm approaching that number and seeing the inches I wanted to lose are still there, I think I'm getting into the look. Don't get me wrong, I have had a huge change in the last 5 months, and at first my goal was 122, but then a couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted 120lbs. When I got out of high school I was 118lbs, but looking at those pictures my face was too skinny. Now I'm 123lbs and my face/chin is still chunky WTH??? lol. I know I don't want to be any lower than 120 though. And after having two kids my weight structure has changed because now I have hips. oh, well, I will finally post some before and after pictures as soon as I reach my goal!!!
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have always said 135 was my goal. I was 150lb and still had fat and skin. I didn't work out then. Now i'm 189 and am working out 5-6 days a week. I've not lost a lot of weight in the last couple months but the numbers are changing. Right now my goal weight is about 150-160. I'm just guessing because It's really once I get to how I want to look. I want to be a size 8. I've never been a single digit size. If I hit this at 165 I'm happy but I doubt that will happen.
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's a look. I used to think it was a numbers thing but then I met my first weight goal and still Wasnt happy. Also some weeks I gain pounds and lose inches, which is loads better. I just want to feel healthy and attractive. Whatever the numbers say it's that feeling that counts for me.
  • jodsap
    jodsap Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Started with a number on the scale. However, I am anticipating that as I get further along in this, it will be a look. The main one being " no more flabby underarms"!!!!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Same as above. It was a number, then a new number..

now it's the tape measure.

MUST GET UNDER 10% BODYFAT!!
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Originally it was a goal weight of 135-145, but id rather have smaller measurements.

Current measurements
    34D
    30" waist
    40" hips

I would like lost 4-5 inches of my waist and 2-3 inches of my hips soo...
    Waist 26"
    Hips 37"

I dont know what weight I have to be to achieve that, but Ive started strength training which I think will help.

I have no desire to be "skinny" Id much rather be tight, toned and curvy.
  • montlucia
    montlucia Posts: 90
    Options
    Originally it was a goal weight of 135-145, but id rather have smaller measurements.

Current measurements
    34D
    30" waist
    40" hips

I would like lost 4-5 inches of my waist and 2-3 inches of my hips soo...
    Waist 26"
    Hips 37"

I dont know what weight I have to be to achieve that, but Ive started strength training which I think will help.

I have no desire to be "skinny" Id much rather be tight, toned and curvy.

We have similar goals and measurements. I'm also 34-36D with 28 waist and 40 hips. Also hoping to get down to around 145lbs although my ultimate goal is maybe 138lbs, depending on how I feel. Currently I am at 150lbs and my start weight was 184lbs.

My plan is to go for the number and then start working on the 'look'. The closer I get to goal weight, the better I feel and hence the lazier I get with my diet. I don't want to be skinny. I want to keep my curves but I'm disappointed that my boobs have gone down from a 38D to 36D bras (which are now getting big). At the same time I'm glad to not have a big belly so you can't get everything you want, I guess.
  • MimiG1979
    MimiG1979 Posts: 7
    Options
    This might make me sound vain, but I don't really care what the scales say as long as I look good in clothes and feel good about myself.
  • jillianlamb
    Options
    Both for me. I need something definitive and real to strive for, so having a number fills that requirement. But I also have a "look" I'm going for too, what I want to see and be happy with. Both are important in their own ways for me.
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be 120 and a size 4 by my 30th b-day. Which is Nov. 2014. I'm currently pregnant so my dieting won't begin until sometime at the end of Oct or early Nov this year. But I agree with the goal being a "look". These numbers are stuck in my head because after my second child my goal was to be 120 and a size 4 but I never made it there. I got to about 128 and a size 6 then gained over ten pounds (depression) and then got pregnant again. I learned a lot since my last year of losing weight. Maybe as I get smaller, I won't focus as much on the number. But part of it is also I'll be facing a milestone birthday and I would like to be the same size and weight I was at 20. :) So maybe after I reach that goal, it will just be to look and feel thin and healthy. And to maintain that.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I have a weight goal in mind now, but I'm sure as I get closer to that goal it will become more of a look goal. I know I need to lose a certain amount of weight to even be able to get to the look I want.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My fitness goals involve neither a number nor a look! Although looking hot is a nice side effect.
  • clockthatticks
    clockthatticks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The number is what keeps me motivated because I can't always see the changes my body is going through with weight loss, but I can see numbers changing on a scale, however, I weigh myself so infrequently because there is simply not a working scale near me, and I'm too cheap to buy one, I've started shifting to more of a "feel" goal. I can't see my changes, but I can feel them. Not being tired when climbing stairs, pants that no longer fit, and tight shirts with awkward gaps because I've lost a few lbs all keep me going. My goal is something I want to "feel right" at. The number part of it is my desire to be in a healthy BMI range, and I feel like "feeling right" will cover my looks too. So on the most basic level it's a number goal, but there's more to it than that.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about reevaluating my goal. My original goal was #127 with an ultimate goal of #124. However, after doing Jillian Michael's and starting insanity, I realized that my weight is more than it was when I was at my lowest, but my clothes fit better than they did back then --- must have been that 'skinny fat' thing going on.

So I think maybe my goal should just be a look - a feel - do I feel good, is it flabby and squishy or firm and toned?

How many go for a look/feel rather than a number?

Well, both. I started out saying I wanna lose 50 LBS, putting me at 174. But I feel like I will need to raise that. I want to be able to wear a bikini, and I also what to tone everything up.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I first thought it was about weight but sometimes I wouldnt lose anything but in 1 week lost 3 inches off my belly. I think what is most important is how you look in the mirror and do you like what you see and how many inches have you lost. You can be 140 but solid and muscle or your goal of 124 but it could be flabby. I would choose the 140 and toned :D

Your profile pic is beautiful.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For several months I had a definate number in mind but lately I've been thinking that I will know by looking when I'm done.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Before it was a number. Now that I've reached that number I still don't like how I look, so now its a look. 12% body fat is the goal. I'm at 20% now. >_>
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. The main big goal is to lose 100lbs. The next goal after that is to be in size 12 pants... Which may not happen because I have birthing hips like a hippo... Literally can feel my pelvis bones at this point and I don't think I'll be having any bone shaving surgeries... If I don't get into size 12 pants It's not the end of the world. My look goal is to look like my Ma did in high school. I'm getting there!

Oh and for anyone who thinks size 12 pants is huge, try being 5'11" then come talk to me. I will never be a size 0 or 2 and I'm perfectly happy about it. I'll take my height over being short any day!
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My goal is a look. I don't really care how much I weigh. Also to deadlift my body weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!