The Paleo Diet (No Gluten) Vs. Clean Eating (whole grains)

Options
124»

Replies

• uscdrj
    uscdrj Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you!
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    read enough books and you'll starve to death.

LOL true:laugh:
  • garaidhsingleton
    Options
    No one here knows any more or anything better than you do. There are no experts, think for yourself.

Edit:
    Didn't mean that to be harsh (sounded that way when I re-read it) ... just mean that you should do what works for you.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Depend on what you think is sustainable. It's unrealistic to be on the Paleo diet forever to cut out one whole food group. One can do it for a while. but can one do it for life? If the answer is yes. Go for it. Pound for pound meat and vege contain more complex nutrient than starch. But cutting it out is not just cutting sugar but other nutrient as well. Research what you are missing. Just my $0.02
    Peace
  • ThatOrganicMom
    ThatOrganicMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the only thing I'd miss on Paleo is oats!
  • southofgrace
    Options
    First of all, gluten is a fairly new topic in the health world. Celiac disease (severe gluten-intolerance/allergy) affects 10% of our population. There is evidence that gluten causes inflammation in people without Celiac disease. Inflammation is the body's natural response to invaders (like when a bacteria or virus invades the body). I think that autoimmune is the wrong word to use when describing the body's response to gluten. The word "autoimmune" refers to disease caused by antibodies produced against substances naturally present in the body (aka the body attacks itself). Celiac disease is classified as an autoimmune disease because the body's immune system attacks and damages the villi of the small intestines.

There is another part of the population who have gluten-sensitivity. These people can't tolerate gluten very well without experiencing stomach pains, bloat, heartburn, joint pains, headache, skin rashes, fatigue, insomnia and brain fog. Unfortunately, there is no way to diagnose this. The best way to figure out if you are in this group is to cut out gluten and see how you feel.

I know I am gluten-sensitive because I eliminated gluten in my diet for two weeks about 6 months ago could tell quite a bit of a difference. I was never a huge bread eater, but I would have the occasional sandwich or pasta dish. I have always had elimination issues. I eat a TON of fresh fruits, vegetables and fiber and I am CONSTANTLY drinking water. I exercise regularly (6 days a week) and I would have a BM every other day. I would feel very bloated and sluggish most of the time. I thought that was normal. It's not btw... After cutting out gluten, I lost about 5 lbs (all water from inflammation), I hardly ever feel bloated (except when I'm on my cycle) and I have 1-2 BMs a day. Honestly, that is the only thing I eliminated in my diet. I don't consider myself Paleo, because I still eat rice and oats (you can get gluten-free oats).

That is another thing about the Paleo diet that I don't really agree with. I do know everyone is different with the amount of nutrients they need. I am a very active person. I run/bike 4-5 days a week, crossfit 3-4 days a week and weight train 3-4 days a week. In order for the body to repair, maintain and build muscle, it needs carbohydrates. The Paleo diet doesn't really allow for adequate carbohydrate intake for my needs. fruits and vegetables do NOT contain enough carbs (especially with their high fiber content) to sustain the energy I need for my lifestyle.

Although a low-carb diet has been a huge success for some individuals with weight-loss goals, it is not a sustainable diet for the human body. It comes along with many adverse effects. One of the main side effects is depletion of muscle glycogen and as glycogen is stored with water this also goes which can lead to dehydration. Dehydration will cause loss of water weight which some people will mistake as fat loss. Another serious side effect that will affect your training goals is that on a low carbohydrate diet you will fatigue earlier which in turn leads to feeling lethargic and you don’t feel like training. This then leads to lack of exercise and will lower the metabolic rate. Since glycogen (found in carbohydrates) is the body's first fuel choice for it's muscles. When you don't eat enough carbs, your body then turns to the protein in your muscle and fat stores, breaking it down for energy. I want my body to function the way it was meant to, so I supply it with gluten-free carbs in the morning, afternoon, after my workouts and usually try not to eat carbs past 3-4 pm, unless i am working out late.

I have found what works for me: Usually oatmeal with my breakfast, rice or sweet potato with lunch and some grain-free protein bar (home-made with coconut flour) post-workout, then fruits, veggies and meat for dinner. I have gained 7 lbs of muscle and gotten down to 16% body fat from 20% in 6 months. I feel amazing and energized. Remember, it's all about listening to your body and giving it what it needs to function properly! Hope this helps you with your decision.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is tons of conflicting supposedly scientific information out there about nutrition. If you watch Forks over Knives or listen to Dr. Michael Greger, they will tell you that animal products are horrible and the worst thing you can eat. Paleo supporters advocate the opposite. We obviously have to eat something, and if we listened to all of those people, we would have nothing left that's okay to eat. You have to experiment for yourself and listen to your own body. Some people's bodies don't respond well to meat or dairy, others have a bad response to gluten. Personally, my body has a bad response to sugar. You can try eliminating gluten for a month, and see if you feel any difference. I've done this and experience no difference. I've done the same for dairy, and have determined that I don't have a sensitivity to dairy either. However, I definitely feel better when I eliminate processed foods and sugar. Just experiment and figure out what your body responds well too. Everyone's bodies are different and respond differently to different foods.