Will DIET sodas cause me to gain weight?

Options
I'm not talking about an increase an appetite or long term weight gain. I'm asking if the soda contains 0 calories will and I drink bottles of it will I gain weight?

Replies

• GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    No.
    Don't listen to people who say otherwise.
    Weight loss or gain comes down to calories.
    Drinking 0 calories CANT cause weight gain.

We aren't mice either so the mice studies are irrelevant.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My body seems to because I get bloated if I drink too much pop but everybody is different!
  • jacki1976
    jacki1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They may not cause you to gain weight but you're not doing yourself any favors by drinking them. Once in a while probably wouldn't hurt but not everyday.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You will probably feel bloated. I usually do when I drink soda. Does it make me gain weight...no. I have days where I don't drink any and other days like yesterday and today where it's about all I drink. It's a bad habit of mine, but diet drinks haven't made me gain weight or crave sweets (the sweetener can make some people crave sweets).
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I watched a food documentary that stated the chemicals/artificial sweeteners (found in many diet or "healthy" foods and drinks) will keep you wanting more and make you hungry. If you can, It may be a good idea to dump the diet drinks. Sorry I don't recall the name of the doc. but I do believe it was on Netflix.
    Good Luck! btw cute user name
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes
    Diet soda might not help you stay trim after all, new research suggests.

A study presented at a American Diabetes Association meeting this week shows that drinking diet soda is associated with a wider waist in humans. And a second study shows that aspartame -- an artificial sweetener in diet soda -- actually raises blood sugar in mice prone to diabetes.
  • Jaxter888
    Jaxter888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about an increase an appetite or long term weight gain. I'm asking if the soda contains 0 calories will and I drink bottles of it will I gain weight?

Yes, you will gain the weight of the fluid you just drank! 1 litre = 1 kilogram... same with water, or green tea, or black coffee !!

But if you are asking if you will gain fat... then no... there's only really one thing that can do that... being in a caloric surplus.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It might not cause you to gain weight and the chemicals in it can effect your metabolism and hunger. I used to drink 1-2 cans of diet soda a day and now don't even drink 2 cans in a month. I feel so much better and have more energy after giving them up.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    if you have blood sugar or insulin sensitivity issues diet drinks can be harmful. they 'trick' your body and can sometimes trigger chemical responses which can spike blood glucose levels.

Make you gain weight? Probably not if you are healthy, but everyone is different. Your milage may vary.
  • lunahbby
    lunahbby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Diet soda does not raise blood sugar. At all. Ask any diabetic who monitors themself. This is misinformation that won't stop spreading around. They've done countless studies on this. Artificial sweeteners do NOT raise your blood sugar.

Diet soda won't make you gain weight. I like carbonated drinks because they make me feel full (everyone else is describing it as bloated, whatever yolo). On the other hand, eating artificial sweeteners can incite cravings. If you don't think you'll have a problem controlling cravings, drink your diet soda. If you think it will trigger cravings, probably best to avoid it. But you won't gain weight by drinking it, no.
  • Brendajo510
    Brendajo510 Posts: 153
    Options
    I believe that you may see the scale increase when you drink diet soda. But, that would be because of the liquid you have taken in plus keep in mind that diet soda is high in sodium and sodium causes water retention. However, I do not believe that diet soda will cause actual weight gain, mostly just water retention.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I believe that you may see the scale increase when you drink diet soda. But, that would be because of the liquid you have taken in plus keep in mind that diet soda is high in sodium and sodium causes water retention. However, I do not believe that diet soda will cause actual weight gain, mostly just water retention.

Pop is not high in sodium... there is like 40mg of sodium in a can.

OP, diet pop will not cause you to gain weight. It is 0 calories. You only gain weight (fat) by eating more than your TDEE.
  • farroz
    farroz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article that diet soda can decrease your metabolism. I know there is a lot of information on aspertane. I once heard from a teacher that aspertane was used when it was first made to encourage weight gain. But things do all do come down to calories. If all you drank was diet soda you would not gain weight other than water weight. If it does slow down your metabolism then if you started drinking diet soda and kept the same diet you would think that you could gain weight because your body is not burning the calories you are consuming as efficiently.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    yes

And killing turkeys is associated with the onset of Winter.

A study presented at a American Diabetes Association meeting this week shows that drinking diet soda is associated with a wider waist in humans. And a second study shows that aspartame -- an artificial sweetener in diet soda -- actually raises blood sugar in mice prone to diabetes.

When the ingest the human equivalent of 10 lbs of aspartame.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If anything... maybe water weight from sodium or bloating from the carbonation.

but not fat
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    yes

And killing turkeys is associated with the onset of Winter.

When the ingest the human equivalent of 10 lbs of aspartame.
    what makes you think I wont eat 10 lbs of it? you challenging me?
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    yes

NO.

Only because they say you crave sweets etc from it, We aint talking about diabetes either.

She will no get fat from drinking Diet soda.

Your fine, Drink your Soda.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options

If you're consuming nothing but the 0 calorie soda? No, you shouldn't gain weight from the soda.

If you're consuming a 0 calorie artificially sweetened soda alongside something else? That's a question that some people have had, whether the 'sweet' in any way could stimulate an insulin response regardless of the actual calorie content. From the stuff that I've read (simply from being curious about the subject), there's no real evidence that consuming 0 calorie soda will cause you to gain weight, even if you're consuming it alongside something else. Granted, there have been extremely few studies on the subject so someone could always do one and come out with something someday, but as it stands today, there's little to actually support the theory that it could in any way cause weight gain even when consumed with other substances (which isn't to say that the no-calorie sweetner might not be problematic in other ways, but again, there's little real evidence of that either, although precious few independent studies have been conducted). The only actually independent study on the question of diet soda and weight gain that I remember reading seemingly indicated that, for whatever reason, drinking 0 calorie soda -- without any other planned intentional changes to diet -- didn't actually facilitate much weight loss ( a couple of pounds in men, no weight loss in women. Maybe the participants unconsciously compensated for the calorie reduction by adding it somewhere else? The study didn't say one way or the other.).