i'm sad!

Options
i wanna lose 20 to 30 pounds sooo bad it makes me depressed and i feel embarrassed about how i look
any advice on losing it and how long?

Replies

• Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've always been told by my doctors that 1-2 pound weight loss each week is a healthy rate at which to lose it and they actually recommended 1 pound a week in my case to allow for the skin to recover. That has been my intention but I've been losing an average of 1.6 lbs mostly due to water weight I think. Now that I'm staying better hydrated my body doesn't need to hold onto it as much. Good luck to you on your journey:smile:
  • k8n1
    k8n1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are so much more than your looks. Love yourself, take care of yourself; all the rest will follow.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Figure 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week. Slow and steady is definitely the best way to go.
  • PTIdgie
    PTIdgie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up first of all - Just get proactive! :-) 2 pounds per week is a safe amount of weight to lose and a realistic goal. In order to achieve this you need to burn approximately 1,000 calories per day more than you eat. So, if you are eating 1200 -1400 calories per day, you need to burn 2200 - 2400. You should be able to lose 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months. I know we all want it yesterday, but it takes planning and determination. You can do it!
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i wanna lose 20 to 30 pounds sooo bad it makes me depressed and i feel embarrassed about how i look

What do you mean? You input your information and you eat within your calories most of the time and exercise. How much you lose and how long depends on how much you exercise and how well you boost your metabolism sometimes when you decide not to stick to your calories. One size does not fit all. I only work out once a week for an hour and five minutes because I have a special needs child I have to keep my eye on, but I log daily and eat over my calories twice a week, and then stick to my calories pretty much daily besides the two days. I went from 240 pounds to 189 pounds and I have been logging since December of 2012, even though MFP has not given me credit for last year, just this year. There is nothing else to know though...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm 64. I'm set at 1700 cals. a day but sometimes eat more than that, but I'm always under goal because I exercise a lot. Living on a working farm does that for you. I have an elliptical machine, which I use most days, a beginner strength workout DVD and a couple of pair of dumbbells, and I've been losing weight slowly but very steadily. I don't do "cheat" or "binge" days at all, I don't see any profit in that, and I stay on the program, eating what I want but healthy ( I've never been much for fast food or high carb junk), eat a lot of vegetables, fruit and meat. Since I don't want to end up looking like a half melted candle I've been taking it slow. I've lost 15 lbs. in a little over 3 months, have more energy, I'm stronger, and I feel better than I have in years. Most importantly, it's easier for me to do farm work, gardening, stall cleaning, hay hauling, so forth. That's what works ( and very well) for me, anyway.
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Beating yourself up emotionally won't help at all :(
    so keep your chin up and get started:)
    I'd suggest that you
    watch what you put into your body - a lot of "healthy" snacks are not all that healthy
    eat LOTS of veggies and some fruit too *not loaded with sauces or dressings
    and exercise or jog or walk
    you may be doing all of this idk can't see your info
    as far as weight loss in a specific time frame is hard to tell it will depend on your calories and exercise and your current build

Being very diligent about my exercise and calorie intake I lost 12 pounds from May 1- June2
    I am 5'7 and I was 167 now 155.

A major part of my exercise was walking. You can do whatever you put your mind to.
    So smile and get your exercise on!

edited 4 typo
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ........also, when you get started exercise and healthy food make you feel better emotionally too!
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options

You just have to take it slow and be patient. It has taken me 6 years to lose 34 pounds. I did it by getting active. I just started with taking a half hour walk during my lunch break and slowly building until now I do an hour of cardio at least 5 days a week. Then make minor changes in eating habits that you can stick with. The first thing I did was eliminated the little Debbie snack cakes I was adding to my lunch and replacing it with fresh fruit. It can be frustrating but be positive and you can do it. The My Fitness Pal site has also given me a lot of support and motivation. Stay strong you can do it. :smile:
  • justneedmotivation
    Options
    Add me, You be my support team I'll be yours!:happy: