Runners...92%-95% Max for 55min?

Options
2»

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Whatever your MHR (and I agree the formulas can be craptastic), doing 92-95% of it for 55 min would be crazysauce.

my RHR is high 40s, I max out around 180 on intense hills, usually in the 150s for long runs. if I had to sustain around 170 for an hour...

...welll I just wouldn't make it

I do not usually run outside for more than about 35 minutes, I just happened to take a slightly different route, and it does involve some uneven terrain and hills. I am also probably accustomed by now to working out with fairly high heart rates because even when I do not feel breathless and can still talk fine, my HR can be at 85% for a long period. I do not start to get breathless until it hits around 90%. It took me very little time to recover from the run, I was happily sat on here typing within a few minutes, having already taken my trainers off and got a glass of water. It only hit 95% a few times on long hills, remained between 89 and 92% most of the rest of the run, other than the first 5 or so minutes.

I don't want to sound like you're not putting in a hard workout, but if you're not getting breathless until 90%, its probably not really your 90%
    90% is edging up to an all-out sprint

Possibly not, I simply went by the generic 220 - your age calculation basically, when setting up my polar FT4. Bear in mind, by breathless, I mean uncomfortably breathless, as in breathing hard and loud enough that people look round as I come along (yes this did happen the other day, lol).
    I do not know if the fact I have low bodyfat% would have any impact on my max heart rate, someone has suggested that my lung condition alongside genetics may play a role in my ability to sustain activity at a high heart rate and that my max might be higher than I have calculated. I shall probably try a different method of calculating my max, though I am not immensely fussed as I tend to just get my workout in and carry on. I do not want to have to be obsessing and worrying about my heart rate every time I run or exercise. I been there and done that the first year I had a HRM.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find It frustrating too, but in my case, it is my lungs letting me down. Out of all exercise I do, running outside seems to put the most strain on my breathing. This means I will never be able to run long distances.
    As previously posted... I have a heart condition... and I was told by my Doctor that it would be MUCH "SAFER" for me to run indoors with A/C than outdoors on a treadmill... because of temperature changes, allergens, humidity, and other factors that could affect or impair my running.

So... I'm ALSO a "Treadmill Queen" and I'm proud of it! If a treadmill is what you need, try running to things other than music sometimes to escape the SERIOUS BOREDOM involved. I like comedy sketches personally, but if it's a lung problem, you probably don't want to laugh a lot while running. I would try downloading some books on tape, or maybe soundtracks to musicals... I like to run to Les Misérables sometimes.

And screw that "I will never be able to run long distances" attitude.... think of how far you've come, VS where you were when you started. I don't believe that you're stuck with short-distances permanently. I mean... I'm not!! Took me three years of running to GET to a 10K, but I'm here! In a year---maybe two---you never know... I'm sure you'll surprise yourself!

Good luck on your journey!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Well...

I have a heart murmur... so my heart beats 3 times instead of two times.

My HRM says that my heartrate (sustained) for my entire hour-long run is 210... which, if you drop that extra 1/3... equates to 140bpm.

YES... trainers have checked my heart monitor and FLIPPED OUT previously... but it's just me... it's how I'm built... I'm NOT dizzy, nauseated, suffering muscle cramps, stomach cramps, light-headed-ness, or any other side effect issues.

Because technically... my heart is at 140bpm.

My advice to you? Get a stress-test. Because if you actually HAVE a heart condition (like me) the Doctor is going to tell you what you need to do, and how you need to adjust your thinking. (Like my math: "subtract a 1/3, & that's your real heart rate"). Heart rate monitors are really sensitive, & don't take into account such things as irregular heart beats. Maybe you have one---like me---and just don't know it? How do you FEEL when your HRM says your heart rate is that high? Cuz personally... I feel JUST fine when mine reads 210 for 60 minutes!

And for the record, before I get any hate-filled troll-style posts... my Doctor says I'm in great shape for someone with my condition, and LOVES that I'm active, taking care of myself, and keeping my weight down. Because being overweight with a heart condition is WAY more dangerous that MONITORED exercise with a heart condition!

I have had hearts tests before, had a monitoring device attached for a long period as well, a few years back, when I was getting panic attacks, to check everything was okay. I don't get dizzy, faint or nauseous at that rate, but I do get pretty breathless. But that is to be expected because running puts a lot of stress on lungs that are not fully functional. I will never be able to run up inclines or at any great speed outside, without getting out of breath, that is part of having COPD (emphysema). Outside the breathlessness and slightly stiff legs going up the hills, I manage fine. I wont deny it is uncomfortable to be breathless, of course it is, but I am hoping that when I have been running outside for longer, it will improve.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Yes, I find It frustrating too, but in my case, it is my lungs letting me down. Out of all exercise I do, running outside seems to put the most strain on my breathing. This means I will never be able to run long distances.
    As previously posted... I have a heart condition... and I was told by my Doctor that it would be MUCH "SAFER" for me to run indoors with A/C than outdoors on a treadmill... because of temperature changes, allergens, humidity, and other factors that could affect or impair my running.

So... I'm ALSO a "Treadmill Queen" and I'm proud of it! If a treadmill is what you need, try running to things other than music sometimes to escape the SERIOUS BOREDOM involved. I like comedy sketches personally, but if it's a lung problem, you probably don't want to laugh a lot while running. I would try downloading some books on tape, or maybe soundtracks to musicals... I like to run to Les Misérables sometimes.

And screw that "I will never be able to run long distances" attitude.... think of how far you've come, VS where you were when you started. I don't believe that you're stuck with short-distances permanently. I mean... I'm not!! Took me three years of running to GET to a 10K, but I'm here! In a year---maybe two---you never know... I'm sure you'll surprise yourself!

Good luck on your journey!!

Oh, I love Les Miserables, the stage show version moreso than the movie.
    Indoors on the treadmill, I can do HIIT with sprints of 17km/hr lasting 60 seconds, and I managed to run 10k in less than an hour, with little issue. I can do 5km in just over 24 minutes on the treadmill, with a few inclines along the way, but shove me outside onto the sidewalks, and the park with it's hills, and the bumpier ground, and I am pulled right back to around 10km/hr, faster downhill or on the flat. I never imagined how much of a difference running outside would make. However, I found on the treadmill, I was getting a frequent knee injury, that did not cause me issues running outside (usually the opposite, apparently).

I would say I ran about 5 miles, maybe a little more, in those 55 minutes. It was my 6th time running outside, spread out over a month. (because I tend to mix things up a lot). I remember a time when I first tried the treadmill, when I would get as breathless on that, as I do now running outside, so I have hope. Thanks for being so positive.
  • xeyda
    xeyda Posts: 7
    Options
    I actually work with several doctors - a sports guy and an ER guy, and the sports doc wanted me to try interval training, because he thought it would help with my weight-loss and fitness-gaining journey.

Many months ago, I gave it a shot. And I ran between 90-97% of my "max" HR for two effing miles (23 minutes) straight. I could not seem to reach the 'topping out' point, where I just HAD to stop or die. I kept going for the full five for that day, but my HR never dropped under 80 until I was in cool down mode. A few minutes after the run, I was fine and ready to go again.

I have since spoken to several other doctors, including a cardiologist, because, y'know, that was kind of worrisome. The resounding answer I have received? Some people are just wired differently. It is not totally unheard of, and nothing to be concerned about, after you get the nod from whatever doc you are seeing for this sort of stuff.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Indoors on the treadmill, I can do HIIT with sprints of 17km/hr lasting 60 seconds, and I managed to run 10k in less than an hour, with little issue. I can do 5km in just over 24 minutes on the treadmill, with a few inclines along the way, but shove me outside onto the sidewalks, and the park with it's hills, and the bumpier ground, and I am pulled right back to around 10km/hr, faster downhill or on the flat. I never imagined how much of a difference running outside would make. However, I found on the treadmill, I was getting a frequent knee injury, that did not cause me issues running outside (usually the opposite, apparently).

I would say I ran about 5 miles, maybe a little more, in those 55 minutes. It was my 6th time running outside, spread out over a month. (because I tend to mix things up a lot). I remember a time when I first tried the treadmill, when I would get as breathless on that, as I do now running outside, so I have hope. Thanks for being so positive.

Well... you're leaps & bounds ahead of me! I do a mile in about 11 minutes... I run at about 5.8-6 on the treamill... incline SET to 1. I haven't done any outdoor races yet (I was supposed to last week, but the humidity was too high, so I chickened out... runners got rained on!!) I can run a 10k in about 65 minutes on the treadmill though... but I have to stop the treadmill at 60 minutes (because it auto-stops) and restart it, & that's kind of frustrating. But I wanted to know if I COULD do a 10k... and was happy to find out I can!

I've been trying to add speed with intervals of 5 minutes at 6.5 then dropping back down to 5.5 to recover... it's been making my muscles sore... so it's doing something good.

I have met people with COPD that can't walk up a flight of stairs! It's very impressive that you push yourself so far, and is so inspirational. You should keep up the good work!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5K a few weeks ago.

I was 91% average for the race. I missed my PB by 30 seconds

I'm wondering if my HR was so high because I pulled my hammy six days earlier and it was only 70% on the bad leg and I was really pushing it. Does this sound logical? :huh:

Of course it goes back to the 220-age thing I suppose, no?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I'm wondering if my HR was so high because I pulled my hammy six days earlier and it was only 70% on the bad leg and I was really pushing it. Does this sound logical? :huh:

Many stressful things will cause your HR to be higher than required to supply the oxygen required for the energy being burned.

Stimulants, like caffeine, can not only elevate your resting HR, but also during exercise.
    Hot, such that the increased blood flow is useful for cooling.
    Stress of sore body, or injured body, or body fighting a sickness.

All reasons you can indeed have an elevated HR for a common pace you might normally do at lower HR.

Shoot, you do a set pace on a treadmill for 1 hr, and observe the HR, you'll get cardiac drift and HR will slowly go up. Your pace and workload never changed, your need for more oxygen hasn't gone up, just happens, might say stress of long exercise.

And the above are all exactly the reasons why a HRM estimate of calories burned can be thrown off so well. There are so many reasons beyond the actual exercise why the HR may be higher.

And yes, the HRM assumption of HRmax could be very off.

The way to tell if you were truly elevated from normal. Find other runs of the same pace and course type. Same HR?
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Well... you're leaps & bounds ahead of me! I do a mile in about 11 minutes... I run at about 5.8-6 on the treamill... incline SET to 1. I haven't done any outdoor races yet (I was supposed to last week, but the humidity was too high, so I chickened out... runners got rained on!!) I can run a 10k in about 65 minutes on the treadmill though... but I have to stop the treadmill at 60 minutes (because it auto-stops) and restart it, & that's kind of frustrating. But I wanted to know if I COULD do a 10k... and was happy to find out I can!

I've been trying to add speed with intervals of 5 minutes at 6.5 then dropping back down to 5.5 to recover... it's been making my muscles sore... so it's doing something good.

I have met people with COPD that can't walk up a flight of stairs! It's very impressive that you push yourself so far, and is so inspirational. You should keep up the good work!!

Thanks, I got lucky in that I was caught before it hit the more serious level and stopped smoking immediately. 28 was young to be diagnosed though. I did a lot of skating when younger, always been a big walker, cycled for a few years etc, and swam a lot when younger, so I guess the fact I was never sedentary for long might have helped me somewhat there. I do get slightly breathless up some stairs, but I can still run up them. I do push, I was born with a competitive streak, I am insanely competitive. If I see someone on a posh road bike up ahead of me as I cycle, I will go hell to the pedals to try and catch up, haha, I hate having something holding me back.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Many stressful things will cause your HR to be higher than required to supply the oxygen required for the energy being burned.

The way to tell if you were truly elevated from normal. Find other runs of the same pace and course type. Same HR?

My HRM only holds so much data and its already deleted. I run 10k every weekday morning and half marathons or close to on Sat and Sun.

I only did the 5K because of the charity involved...
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks the OP's rhr of 35 (1 above Lance Armstrong at his peak) might be a bit of an exaggeration? Lots of people's actual max heart rates vary from that formula wildly, but super fit athletes and those about to die of heart failure are the only ones that dip into the 30s for rhrs.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't accuse anyone of anything but it struck me as a likely incorrect value, yes.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't accuse anyone of anything but it struck me as a likely incorrect value, yes.

RHR 35, well, according to ,my polar hrm, that's what it says when i do the 5min rhr test that takes an average over 5mins...keep in mind RESTING HEART RATE is first thing in the morning, not ye out of bed and moving around, relaxed in a quiet environment...

This pic is from a couple weeks ago, but as you can see, had been up for an hour, taken a caffiene supp and am dressed and ready to head out the door on a run...
    7950539_7422.jpg

So yeah, my RHR is really that low. Even doing intense exercise such as 4 sets of 12 deadlifts at 250lbs, my hr gets up to 140 and in the 90 sec btw sets drops back down to the 50s-60s ...

...but its only fair to call bs on me since that's what started my asking the original question
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Miguel Indurain RHR 28 beats--professional cyclists have incredibly low heart rates at rest--

His heart pumped much slower then the comp and his volume amount was double even triple of most men--very unusual to have a heart rate at rest this low. Not impossible, but very unusual.
  • Just_Scott
    Options
    http://www.training4cyclists.com

One of the points mentioned is some cyclists have RHR in their 40's all the way down to the low 30's--also, don't compare yours to another's. Each individual is different--sorry guy's--cause we love to measure and compare stuff-but, in this case, somebody may very well have an RHR in the low 30's.

Peace
  • Just_Scott
    Options
    http://www.training4cyclists.com

One of the points mentioned is some cyclists have RHR in their 40's all the way down to the low 30's--also, don't compare yours to another's. Each individual is different--sorry guy's--cause we love to measure and compare stuff-but, in this case, somebody may very well have an RHR in the low 30's.

Peace
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    is it even possible to maintain that heart rate intensity for that long without dying...from everything i've read, that intensity is for interval training and one should not be able to maintain it for more than 5-10 min max. for reference, i have a rhr of 35, run 50-80 miles of san fran hills a month, and if i get my heart rate up to 170 there is NO WAY i can go even close to that long...

This would be called racing. A friend of mine(woman) is an elite runner. When she runs half marathons, she is between 93-95% of max the entire time (1:30:00 or less). She is far from normal. When i race, i'm usually around 90-93%, but see much, much slower results.