Spin Class? Is it worth it?

Options
iSpeakLife
iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
The gym is having free classes all this week...there's a cycling/spin class tomorrow at 5 in the morning...I don't think if I'm THAT dedicated yet though lol

I went once a few years ago and it wasn't the most comfortable exercise (I was sore in places that I won't mention...but you get the picture).

Has anyone had great success with spinning?

Replies

• Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    *bump
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I love spinning class! However, I wear bike shorts. They have padding in all the right place ;)
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I love spinning! :) It's worth the uncomfortable pain. According to my HRM, I burn about 400 cal in an hour of spinning. The loud music and instructor motivation/not wanting to look dumb in front of a group of people really pushes me to do my best! It's worth it. I think you should try it. It's free...nothing to lose! :)

Also, getting in/out of the saddle doing jumps is really good for your bum muscles :)
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    lol - bump. I'm curious too, I've never been to spinning.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I do spinning at least once per week... I sweat Ike crazy and love it:)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I used to love doing spin and stopped for a while when I fell out of the habit of going to the gym. I've been meaning to get back into it. I think it is totally work it. You get as much as your put into it and I like how much control the individual has over his or her own ride and how much of a struggle it was going to be. Somedays I pushed myself super hard and somedays the tension was a little wimpy and I never left my sandle.
  • KMJ73
    KMJ73 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do spin class as well and you do get sore, instead of the expensive bike shorts, I use a removable bike gel cushion you can put on the seat, you will however still be sore and it will get better in time. It does burn a lot of calories and I have bad knees and is one of the few classes I can take where I feel it is not going to trash them. I do have to say a good instructor makes all the difference & have them adjust the bike for you as well to help avoid injury.
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also do a spin class once a week & I'll call it a love/hate relationship. Your booty will be very sore, but you do get through it and eventually it just stops. While I am there I pretty much hate it, but with a good instructor that hour can go by fast & you burn a lot of calories. I feel great after class, very accomplished that I made it through another class. It's not something I could do more than once or twice a week - I switch it up throughout the week. It's worth trying but I'd say give it at least three or four classes before you ditch it.
  • lisacopeland72
    Options
    Totally worth it. After a couple of classes the sore "lady parts" feel fine.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    you can get a seat pad that helps with the "punched in the crotch" feeling. However, that will go away with time. I lost a ton of weight a few years ago spinning twice a week. For your first few classes, just try to stay on the bike the whole time and keep peddling...even if it's slow. It is a really intense class, and you may waddle after, but its a really good calorie burn.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It's only worth if you are trying to lose weight, tone up, get fitter, improve your health or are into meeting energetic, supportive people. Otherwise, stay in bed :)
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Spin class was probably the first workout (besides swimming) that I actually looked forward to. With good tunes and a good instructor, you can burn a ton of calories in an hour. I did spin alone for quite some time before I was coerced into walking across the hall to the yoga part of the studio, and now find that they complement one another quite nicely.

Definitely WORTH it though. What is the worst thing that can happen?
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    To me every workout is worth it! Do it! You're more likely to regret NOT going than going. I do spin once a week and it's a good workout. My crotch only hurt the very first time.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I did spinning once. I expected it to be easy because I've been a runner forever. Man, that class kicked my butt! It's amazing cardio, for sure worth getting up early if it's your cup of tea. I get up at 5 for my 6 am boxing class, and I love knocking that out in the am. I feel like I've already done something awesome even before I get to work or wherever I'm going.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really like spinning! The instructor is really good at motivating you, good music and I sweat my butt. I am training for a 5K and I like to do the spinning in between running days since it is an awesome workout but low impact compared to the running.
  • ptammyw
    ptammyw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes! I take spin class 3x/week and love it, though I started off hating it. I am a runner and had hurt my knee, so I turned to spin for an alternative cardio workout. Spin is great for HIIT intervals. I have never sweat so much in my life! It works your glutes, quads, hamstrings, and core. I say go for it...you'll certainly burn a ton of calories if you push yourself. As my instructor says in our 6 am class, "you didn't wake up at 5:30 in the morning to cheat yourself." Good luck and have fun!
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It is a great workout. I remember I used to do it in Italy in winter time at 8pm for 1hr The trainer usued to switch off the light leaving on the one from the reception so you still see each other. And you kinda feel alone with the bike and you hear the voice of the trainer telling you to push hard. It was hard but very relaxing, listening to music and can describe it, but it is worth trying.
    P.S. When you stand up from the bicycle you can feel pain in your butt and you may fall down as muscles are not responding. :) ha ha ha
    GOOD LUCK
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It's only worth if you are trying to lose weight, tone up, get fitter, improve your health or are into meeting energetic, supportive people. Otherwise, stay in bed :)

^^^What he said...

DO IT!!! ;)
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    Definitely worth it! I teach spin and love it! Your places that hurt will toughen up after a few classes and you can always wear bike shorts or get a gel seat for the bike. Best advice is to go at your own pace until you get used to it. Every instructor has their own style so do what you are comfortable with and since it's free this week, you've got nothing to lose.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I got hustled into taking a spin class not long after I started going to the gym, and I was still way out of shape and very intimidated... haha. it was very intense but a lot of fun. I was pretty saddle sore for a few days, but padded bike shorts and a few more classes and I was good to go. Definitely worth it imho!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!