GOING OVER 300-400 CALORIES DAILY, CAN I STILL LOSE?

Options
Hello all,
I seem to be going over by 300-400 calories everyday. And this is with me trying VERY hard. VERY VERY HARD. I have cut out all sweets besides marshmellows (they are fat free) and a 90 calorie fiber brownie from time to time. I am drinking water, and lightly exercising. Will I still lose?

Replies

• purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well, that depends. What's your BMR? What's your TDEE? How tall are you? How many calories are you eating a day? Do you measure your food accurately and log every single thing that you eat?

If you're eating more than a 300-400 calorie deficit, you'll still lose weight, however slowly, depending on how much of a deficit is left over.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your daily scheduled deficit is. You can see what your daily deficit is by clicking on 'goals' under the 'home' tab.

If your daily scheduled deficit is more than that, you should still lose, even if slowly.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It depends what you burn every day. If you are eating less than you burn, you will lose.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    whats with everyone's obsession with fat free!?

work out your tdee etc etc and go from there! if you under it you will still loose not matter what you eat...even fat free marshmallows
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try it for a couple of months and see.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows may be fat free, but they are all sugar. One hundred percent empty calories. Cut out the marshmallows 4 marshmallows are 100 calories, and they don't even come close to being filling. (They are my weakness, too). To gain one pound in a week you only need to eat 500 calories more than you burn daily.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Yes, you can. I tried sticking to a 1,200 daily net, but wound up binge eating every few days and the scale got stuck between 132.5 and 136 for six months. I upped my allowance to 1,200-1,500 daily - and I can stick with that for a long time. Now, my weight fluctuates between 127.5 and 130 even.

I still goof up sometimes (like today, barf) but overall, I'm doing well and happy with my weight.

(I also guesstimate high on portion sizes when I can't measure, and guesstimate low on activity. I even knock off a few minutes on weight lifting time, etc. because I rest between sets . . .)

I hope it works for you as well as is it did for me. I wish you every success. Friend me if I can be of help.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight if you're 300-400 calories over daily if you set your goal to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week. That's already a 500-1000 calorie deficit without doing any exercise.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It depends on a few factors.
    1) what is your calorie goal set to? Because if its 400 calories over 1200, then yes you will lose weight as long as you are not 4 feet tall and you occasionally get up to walk around the house or go shopping.

2) what sorts of exercises do you do if any? If you eat 400 calories over but you burn that many, then it cancels out the excess.

3) how accurate are you with counting food? If you are overestimating then you will likely lose, and if you are underestimating then you might not lose a single pound.

As for marshmallows, fat free means nothing. Nothing. Seriously its all about calories. Marshmallows are full of sugar. Sugar is full of empty calories.

Now, when fat free meets sugar free, thats where the fun begins. It is also often where clean eating ends because sugar free means artificial sweeteners, and fat free means weird things you cannot pronounce. I for one LOVE jello fat free sugar free cook and serve pudding. I lost the weight I had by first starting with 250 calorie mini meals every 3 hours. The whole box of this pudding fits into a mini meal. Yes a whole box of pudding eaten for lunch, by myself. Also, jacks links original beef jerky makes a good mini meal. Why did I start with mini meals? Well the doctor told me to. It is supposed to keep the metabolism up and it also gives your stomach time to shrink so I literally cannot eat the huge meals I once ate.

If you open your diary, it will be easier to see where you can make lower calorie choices. It really is not that hard once your stomach shrinks. Though the stomach shrinking process can take more than 2 weeks. Also, after a while you wont be able to eat a lot of the junk foods you used to eat.
  • lisavolungis
    lisavolungis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe change your goal to lose weight more slowly. I changed mine from a pound a week to half a pound a week, and it was MUCH more manageable (1600 calories a day versus 1200). This will allow you to stick to the program over time, as well as give you the feeling of success. Nothing to say you can't eat less or exercise more and come in under calories.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    you will only lose weight if you burn off more calories than you eat.

Therefore if you eat 2500 calories but burn 3000 that should equate to a 1/7th of a pound of fat.

Body fat is converted to energy only after carbohydrate energy has been used up, usually 20 minutes into a workout.