Healthy eating ideas?

Options
So I hope this is not too vague, but I would like to discuss healthy eating. I feel like I'm in a rut.. I feel like I've only been eating peanut butter sandwiches, chicken, eggs, and fruit. I feel like I try to eat healthy, but then I fall off track somehow. I'm trying to stop eating red meat and processed foods, but I feel like I need some new ideas for healthy lunches. Usually for lunch I have a peanut butter sandwich, but I feel like that is getting old and does not provide enough nutrients. I guess I'm really just looking for some examples of what you guys eat for a healthy lunch and dinner. Or if anyone can direct me to any pages that might have like a clean eating challenge or something of that nature. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've really left this wide open, so... veggies? Fish? There's all sorts of healthy stuff out there, anything that's not packaged/processed is a good start. Brown rice, too. Sweet potatoes are a personal favorite, there are a lot of ways to prepare them, too. Beans, another good, filling choice. Quinoa is popular, though I'm not super familiar with it myself. Avocados are a good add on to things, or even by themselves. I don't know, go explore.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    how about a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes for lunch? or fish, or chicken, ham? or a grilled chicken salad?
  • juicybravo
    juicybravo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started off the exact same way....

Think of fruits and vegetables as your go to for food. Never mind all that processed food.

Stay away from white food (bread, sugar, rice (although you can have some rice in moderation), potato,... and so on).

I love making vegetable stir-fry consisting of- onion,zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, carrots, spinach, and any meat (preferably chicken breast or shrimp). I add a little bit of oyster sauce to give it a taste Asian flavor. Sever with rice (white, or brown) and there you go! cook in 30 minutes and its soooooo satisfying, plus you get all the nutrients!! :)
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    What do you like to eat, first off?
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For some reason I have been trying to stay away from carbs for lunch. I may grill extra fish or chicken from another meal for my lunches. I buy a healthy spinach salad mix..put the meat...strawberries. A 1/4 or 1/2 an avo. And a healthy nut with a tsp on olive oil and some type of vinegar. To me it's a tasty filling lunch. I've done ready out of the pouch tuna and mix it with relish and mustard and dipped apples in it. Sounds weird but its good! Black bean burgers...oatmeals...omelettes...pork tenderloin..use nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.... So many variations. Take a look at my diary. You'll see interesting combos! Good luck!
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies. Mixed steamed veggies with light sauces( cauliflower, broccoli & carrots w/a little oyster sauce). Monster salads with things you like (I like craisins, apples, berries, low-cal dressing, etc., my sister likes chicken, hard-boiled eggs, veggies & cheese), zucchini & onions & garlic w/ a little olive oil, lettuce-wraps instead of bread with meats and cheese and veggies, homemade soups like minestrone, Korean sukiyaki (I LOVE it!) from last night's dinner. EVERYTHING in moderation is key.
  • janetdungan
    janetdungan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    CLEAN EATING... google it
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    In the sandwich vein, I had something great today: 1/3 can of tuna mixed with 1/4 of an avocado and about a tablespoon of dill relish, with .5oz of chopped sun-dried tomatoes all mixed together. I put that in a whole-grain pita with some spinach. It was totally amazing, really easy (you could use a can or two of tuna with a whole avocado, etc. to make a big batch for the week), low-calorie, high in nutrients, and super satisfying.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I found too if you work, anything you can make double of for dinner, make a smaller portion for lunch..or sometimes I will make a portion for dinner for me..and then make my family a meal..and i'll my own... so many things you can do.. you just have to have the will power to say no when you need to :)
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Salads are good cause they are filling and less likely to make you want to eat when you return home. I love

Caesar Salad - 200 cals per serve generally (and that's BIG serving). the pre-made salads you can get from supermarkets are especially convenient. but if you don't mind preparing beforehand, you can make croutons easily by chopping up stale break, tossing it in oil and dried herbs and baking it for 10 mins in a hot oven.

Salad with boiled egg, fried bacon bits, mayo, avacado, radish and cheese - more like 400 cals but very satisfying nonetheless

Greek Salad

Salad greens with mayo and thinly slice carrots

If you have access to a mug and hot water cup-a-soups are also pretty awesome... But strictly for snacking...

As for sandwiches? I really like sandwich thins with ham or chicken, mayo and baby spinach. Deli ham and chicken can be very thinly sliced and low calorie! They are also good in torilla wraps with lots of greens but the tortillas themselves can be high calorie so be careful.

To be honest though, I'm kinda over taking food out. I'd much rather eat freshly made food from home or eat out.
  • shelthefox
    shelthefox Posts: 10
    Options
    Well thank you for all the good ideas, everyone. I know my question was pretty vague, but I was mainly interested in seeing what healthy items were eating. So thanks for all the responses. The salads and steamed veggies sound really good.