Weight gain that doesn't make sense - feeling dismayed

Options
I've been doing this diet thing for just over a month. I don't have much to lose only 22 pounds or so. I've stuck to the plan and recorded food and exercise every day that I've had access to a computer. I've been away on two short breaks when I did not stuff my face and in fact cycled/walked in excess of 50 miles. I've kept it very low key and haven't posted anything on this message board until now.

Until one week ago I had lost 9 pounds and was really pleased with my progress but in the last 7 days I have put 5 pounds back on. I am exercising every day and keeping to my calorie goal. I am measuring portions and logging everything. I really just don't understand why this is happening and it is really getting to me.

Hopefully my metabolism will know I am venting my frustration on this computer and kick start the weight loss again.

Any support or suggestions would be most welcome.

Replies

• pig2201
    pig2201 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would just wait a week and then weigh again it could be just water retention.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    What's your total NET intake by the end of the day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It can take time for your body to adjust. Try to see these changes you are making as lifelong improvements rather than a short term 'diet'. Your weight will fluctuate and you will notice it more now that you are monitoring your weight more closely. Take heart knowing that you are doing good things for your body and in time the weight will come off, little by little. At different times of the month your weight can be vastly changeable as your body retains water in different ways. It can be surprising by how much.
    Relax and carry on with the changes you have made, the weight WILL come off.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    my weight stalled after 4 months so increasing my calories was recommended. I was at 15 pounds lost when it happened. Someone told me to increase to 1500 calories adding only 100 a week. So I went to 1300 and then 1400 and finally 1500 calories gradually. I have now lost 20 pounds total.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If your totm is coming up, that very well may have something to do with it.
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    You can do it! 20 pounds isn't much but it only gets harder the less you need to lose so stick with it. My honest advice is if you want crazy results you must be willing to get crazy.

A lot of people shoot for the bare minimum. This would be ideal and should surely put you on the path to success. I believe everything you are saying but let me share a little insight from what I've read and experienced myself as well.

5 pounds ain't nothing to get worked up about. I could get you to drop 5 pounds this week if you followed what I had to say, despite the extremity. Fighters regularly loss 10-20 pounds in a week before a weight in by very nontraditional (non-recommended) methods.

As others have pointed out, this could be due to water retention. Typically I notice a lot of water weight being linked to Sodium intake. Your body holds onto water to dilute the salt. Oddly enough, the way to loss the water weight is by either sweating it out or drinking MORE water (as you would urinate more frequently).

Muscle does weigh more than fat but 5 lbs of muscle in a couple of weeks seems unlikely. Despite the scale, how do you feel you are looking recently?

What is the approach on your "diet"? Unless you're going die hard in the gym, many people have found success with a low carb, high protein diet. This allows your body to use fat as energy. If you're more curious on the subject, search for more information on "Ketosis", also known as a "fat burning" diet.

Hope this helps. Go hard!
  • HelenJEMason
    Options
    Thanks for your messages! This was my first post and I didn't know there would be this much support - it is wonderful!

I might have gone for the crazy route when I was younger but am now a home-educating, self-employed mum of 6 which is crazy enough ;)

My approach is to get down from bmi 25 to bmi 21 or 22. I want to do this in the space of about 4 months. The myfitnesspal app suggested 1200 calories a day for my height and age. I have stuck to this net amount and only gone over it once or twice. I am frequently under it.

I have always loved sport and fitness but no longer have much time for team sports and clubs. I go to the gym for one hour of hard labour every other day. On the intervening days, I walk a minimum of 2.5 miles a day at a fast pace of 4mph. This is the basic fitness plan but I also go cycling when I can.

I take your point on sodium intake and water though I never add salt to food (except a pinch in porridge) and don't eat ready-meals. Will up the water intake and see what happens.

I will also investigate the high protein approach. It might be the key. I may be in touch again if I feel crazy enough to go for your extreme route...

Cheers!
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    Ok, if you're not at your goal by the 3rd month I'll help you finish it in the 4th (for real).
  • HelenJEMason
    Options
    Cheers!
    :smile: