Do we watch we eat on Vacation

Options
Hi everyone Do we watch what we eat ?

Summertime is here and I would love to know if most of you keep track with MFP while on vacation? My family will visit me here in Italy in July from America and they all want to feast on the local cuisine here. My Mother already has a 2 day wine tour in Tuscany that we'll be doing. How do I watch my calories for 12 days with the Family ? lol love to hear your experiences.

Replies

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I tend to not log my calories on vacation and I do eat pretty much what I want but I still watch my portion size I split my desert. So I am a bit more careful but don't make my life and those around me difficult. I also will also make sure I eat one meal a day this is smaller and lighter most often breakfast.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no way! A holiday is a holiday. If you can't let your hair down on a break, when will you ever let your hair down?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    I still log and will try to do as much walking as possible. I often get day passes at a local gym as well and workout in the mornings. I will indulge in the local food though and just try to net within maintenance on the indulgent days.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    yes so true!
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    I tend to not log my calories on vacation and I do eat pretty much what I want but I still watch my portion size I split my desert. So I am a bit more careful but don't make my life and those around me difficult. I also will also make sure I eat one meal a day this is smaller and lighter most often breakfast.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Nope. I went to Ibiza few weeks ago and ate/drank what I liked. I however did a lot of walking and sight seeing so probably burned a lot of it off. Came home, 1lb or so up on the scale but got rid of it pretty quickly.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options

This's what I will do in Sept on a trip with daughter,her husband & mine.Going by plans for the day,will stay aware,make good choices & be happy with no loss/no gain those 2 wks.
  • tram54
    tram54 Posts: 6
    Options
    Well, I have a just over week long vacation planned in June, and I am going to try and be smart about it so I don't un-do my whole first month's worth of hard work. I have the mobile app for MFP on my phone, and I'm going to wear a pedometer to record how much walking we do (to hopefully off-set some of the 'guilty eating'), and I'm going to try and make smart choices about where and what to eat. I know that there will be stops along the road at fast food restaurants; I'm going to try and do some research ahead of time about what the smarter choices are at the various chains so that I don't make a bad 'in a hurry' decision when we are trying to make time on the road. I figure that if I can 'hold the gains' (come back weighing what I did when I left), it will be a major victory.
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    One of the great secrets to vacation Eating or should I say Indulging haha..is the few weeks prior! Be at your best with your Plan and your workouts should be very consistent. The last week before a vaca my deficit will be much greater and when The vaca comes I have fun! I notice that I was fine after because of this preparation also..even when I am on vacation I remain active and still find a way to move my body gym or no gym!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No logging during vacation for me! I will make better choices and I wont eat much breads (we cruise a lot and although the breads are fresh and delicious they are just not worth the cals!)
    After the holiday its back to logging again :-D
    So far on my 2 week cruises I have never gained more than 3lbs and I have got rid of those within a few weeks of logging again.
    We gotta live a little but theres no point in going crazy either, just find a happy medium and stick to it :)

oh and of course get lots of walking/exercise in whilst away, that'll help big time - always take the stairs, walk as much as possible etc
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use vacation time as an extra boost of exercise -- getting up early to walk or jog, hitting the pool for swimming, etc. Think of all the extra opportunities to BURN, in amongst the naps and lounging around. Biking, hiking, dancing. Going for a stroll with relatives is a great way chat up, and fully digest local delights. Did someone say "dancing?"

It's a wonderful opportunity to test out your committment to a healthy lifestyle, all good things in moderation, etc. Keep drinking lots of water, start each day with a good, healthy breakfast, and pack snacks that are full of fiber, lean protein, and other healthy alternatives. Keep the alcohol in check, you don't have to say "no," but don't fill up on wasteful alcoholic calories beyond a really good SAVOR.

Keep your portions in check, and you'll be fine. Enjoy!
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My family is going on vacation in 3 weeks. Our first one in 5 years. I am not going to log anything, heck I am not allowing any smartphone, laptops or ipads to be used during vacation, but I will be mindful of my choices.
  • spally2
    spally2 Posts: 22
    Options
    don't watch what I eat/drink on holiday as I'm on holiday but I do do lots of walking around when I'm away and might do a bit of swimming. Plus given that I will be going away in June to Portugal the nice weather means I will eat more fresh fruit and veg/salad and fish anyway
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't. Its a vacation, you deserve a break!
  • paulbear75
    paulbear75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your stories :) Enjoy your summer
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I didn't really log properly or weight myself for 2 weeks over christmas, I ate so much, but came home to weight myself and I'd lost 2 kg lol. It's like my metabolism is working alot better these days. Now I give myself the weekends/holidays to relax and not log as long as I can get myself back to eating healthy eating at the end of it. I only learnt how to manage to do this after 4 months of very strict logging though.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    It's a sort of yes and no answer. I don't deprive myself of anything but I don't go overboard either. I tend to log in once a day around lunch time and log my cals at once. That way I am still checking in so it keeps me in check but I am not obessed with it either. I usely go away camping on my hols so tend to cook for myself most of the time, its the alcohol that goes with it lol.
    The other thing is usely I am on a site in the middle of nowhere with very limted signal so logging in all the time is not available.
    Just remember this has to be a life thing so make it suit you.
    Enjoy your vacation.
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am teaching myself to live a new life, not dieting... so yes, I watch what I eat. I don't go all out simply because it's a vacation, I learn to enjoy myself with my new lifestyle.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Depends on the internet access :wink:

I'll have hopefully reached my target by the time we go away, but I will still be aware of what I eat - not depriving myself, but checking if I really want something/want that much of it before I eat it. But it is a holiday, so I would say don't stress about it, just go easy on the puddings and second helpings.

We were away over Easter and the first day we skipped lunch because we'd had the big breakfast in the hotel. The second day - not so good :ohwell: But I solved that problem by getting the winter vomiting bug on the way back:laugh: