The scale just won't budge

Options
Fab30s
Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
I've been stuck at 100kgs or 220lbs even though I am clearly working out alot and eating alot healthier. For the whole of May I went to the gym religiously and sweated profusely with an hour of cardio, including running and walking 3.5m/hr or 5.5km/hr on an incline of 7-10. Then I would do weight lifting for another hour gradually increasing my weights. I am at 60lbs on the barbell squat and deadlift. Could do more with the deadlift if my ghetto *kitten* gym had heavier weights. I've been having salads for lunch, and roasted chicken for supper, really minimizing my carbs intake. Before May, since November I worked out atleast 3 times a week playing tennis and walking on the treadmill/high incline. I see women and men come in to the gym for sauna and steam bath everyday and they express their amazement about my hardwork and dedication. I am usually the only one in the gym (this is Uganda so don't be shocked). Lots of skinny unfit women come and spend 10 minutes on the treadmill and proclaim how tired they are. One had the audacity to tell me to stop eating fats because they will kill me. It ruined my day coz I've always eaten somewhat healthily avoiding fried foods and sweets. These skinny unfit women look good, they're thin and am not. The lowest I have seen on the scale has been 99kgs which was no loss because its back and forth between 99 and 101kgs. Infact, before all this daily dedication I was 97kgs for a while. I know you initially gain some weight when you lift, but I am not even sure that's it. Needless to say, I am quite frustrated. I am not giving up but I would love to see some changes. I haven't taken pics but my clothes fit the same and I don't see any difference in my body. I have now cut out egg yolks, eating just the whites of my boiled eggs but thats BORING. I am thinking of cutting ovacado out of my salads but then they'll be much less yummy. No oil is used in the preparation of my meals. So I need your motivation and enouraging words, advice, whatever, coz am enjoying this fitness journey a little less now.

Replies

• CatStiles
    CatStiles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry - your exercise will be building lots of muscle tissue and burning the residual fat. The old adage that muscle weighs more than fat is completely true, so don't think your progress is being lost!

Besides, it sounds like you're making a conscious effort to be fit and healthy, which is more important than being slim - if these skinny women can't do 10 minutes on the treadmill, then they're hardly healthy!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I see you're cutting out egg yolks and potentially avocado next - what's your fat intake like? You need a certain amount of dietary fat for hormonal balance.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're really making an effort to be fit and healthy but are you eating enough to fuel your body? Ignore the skinny women in the gym, who wants to be skinny, I'd rather have curves! x
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Measure in inches. Suprised myself to find out how much I had lost (10). Muscle and fat weigh the same 1 pound vs 1 pound. Muscle takes up less room therefore your shrink inches. Mix up eating plan more calories and less calories. Mix up workout cardio vs weights and training with high and low intensities. Sometimes you have to to through plateau or you might have to bump up your intensity and lenght of time. P90x does a great job with this. If you have pinterest google fat and muscle. Check out pictures. Keep it up and don't give up.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What calories are you eating? What are your macros?
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 100kgs or 220lbs even though I am clearly working out alot and eating alot healthier. For the whole of May I went to the gym religiously and sweated profusely with an hour of cardio, including running and walking 3.5m/hr or 5.5km/hr on an incline of 7-10. Then I would do weight lifting for another hour gradually increasing my weights. I am at 60lbs on the barbell squat and deadlift. Could do more with the deadlift if my ghetto *kitten* gym had heavier weights. I've been having salads for lunch, and roasted chicken for supper, really minimizing my carbs intake. Before May, since November I worked out atleast 3 times a week playing tennis and walking on the treadmill/high incline. I see women and men come in to the gym for sauna and steam bath everyday and they express their amazement about my hardwork and dedication. I am usually the only one in the gym (this is Uganda so don't be shocked). Lots of skinny unfit women come and spend 10 minutes on the treadmill and proclaim how tired they are. One had the audacity to tell me to stop eating fats because they will kill me. It ruined my day coz I've always eaten somewhat healthily avoiding fried foods and sweets. These skinny unfit women look good, they're thin and am not. The lowest I have seen on the scale has been 99kgs which was no loss because its back and forth between 99 and 101kgs. Infact, before all this daily dedication I was 97kgs for a while. I know you initially gain some weight when you lift, but I am not even sure that's it. Needless to say, I am quite frustrated. I am not giving up but I would love to see some changes. I haven't taken pics but my clothes fit the same and I don't see any difference in my body. I have now cut out egg yolks, eating just the whites of my boiled eggs but thats BORING. I am thinking of cutting ovacado out of my salads but then they'll be much less yummy. No oil is used in the preparation of my meals. So I need your motivation and enouraging words, advice, whatever, coz am enjoying this fitness journey a little less now.
    OMG! You sound exactly like me. I've been working so hard that people tink am a gym addict or freak buh I've got nothing to show for it. Ok, my body shape is gradually changing. I deadlift 200lbs 5*5 and squat 156 5*5 and I workout in a pool of sweat.
    My diet is pretty good, imagining avoiding all the sweet Nigerian foods at my disposal! Arghhhh! It's so frustrating and I understand exactly how you're feeling, let's just keep doing what we are doing and am sure things will turn around soonest.
    Like I always tell people I've been weighing 95kg since the day I was burn, lol, I became 98 after I started heavy lifting buh am told it will go down, ok, am willing to wait.
    Long story short, lest keep at it. Good luck.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    avocado is really really good for you, dont cut it out! im betting you are gaining lots of muscle, while losing fat which means the scale wont show a number difference. just keep going, dont worry too much what the scale says, tho i completely understand your frustration. have you lost lots, and now youre just plateauing? the body is a strange thing...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

What's your height?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Do you log absolutely everything?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Are you taking measurements?
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! Keep on track I know it's discouraging but it sounds like you are doing everything right. The only thing I can think is maybe you need to up your calories. Sounds silly but it seems to work for a lot of people on here when they have plateaued. Read some of the posts from others and see what you can do. I also would make sure I was not eating after 7p.m. and make sure you eat breakfast w/in an hour of waking. Good luck and keep us posted!! You can do it!!
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Without nosing around on your diary I'd guess you aren't eating enough. That seems to be the issue with a lot of people who are working as hard as you are. I'd suggest you checkout IPOARM, it might help! :) (search for IPOARM in the forums)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your healthy routine and dedication! Keep going... don't give up!

I struggle with insulin resistance and PCOS so I, too, know what it's like to lose slowly. Due to my Metabolic issues, I need to keep my carbs very low (only veggie-sourced), my dietary fat high, and my protein adequate for my body weight. I work-out daily (cardio and strength training) and eat according to BMR/TDEE guidelines. Even so, I lose scale weight extremely slowly... 15-20lbs./year if I'm fortunate, despite my strict adherance to a healthy routine. That being said, I've lost a lot of inches, body fat% and improved my health considerably!

Weight loss is not linear. Scale weight doesn't tell you much at all. DITCH THE SCALE! Try it for a month. Go strictly by measurements, progress photos (just looking in the mirror isn't enough - sometimes we can't see the changes but they are visible in comparison photos), body fat %, and how your clothing fits! Seriously, I wish this was reinforced more often... people are so scale obsessed these days and it's not doing them any favours.

Are you getting stronger? Do you have more endurance? Has your health improved? The scale doesn't tell you any of that. Reflect on the non-scale changes you see in yourself - that's what counts. You can completely reshape your body without affecting your weight much... but it takes time. I simply strive to trust in the process, and keep going!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    you sound like me. Busted my *kitten* for so long now and nothing to show for it. I'd say start measuring yourself since the scale is a dirty conniving harlot. And take some pictures you might see that your body is changing up but you haven't noticed yet. I'm not sure what kind of cal intake you have set up but you may need to eat a little more you sound like you're very active!! I know it sounds scary to eat more but it seems to do the trick for a lot of people!! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough.
  • lour61
    lour61 Posts: 1
    Options
    First make sure you are getting in enough calories per day. Second, you should check to see if you are sensitive to any foods. I had the same issue and the scale wasn't showing any change. Finally I got checked and found out I was sensitive to wheat, gluten and corn....which was keeping my weight on. You should check to see if you have allergy to eggs, dairy, nuts, etc.

what a difference! read up on going wheat/gluten free. Go on websites to look for guidance. GoodLuck:smile:
  • Fox_Trot
    Fox_Trot Posts: 9
    Options
    Change your routine...From what I read, it sounds like your body is resisting fat loss because you are pushing yourself too hard and you are potentially cutting out important natural fats and sugars, which your body needs to function and burn fat properly. You body is probably thinking your are trying to starve it.

Add some variety to your diet. Don't just have salad and chicken. Try fish, red meats, home made vegetable soups etc. Don't cut out fruits and veggies which carries natural oils, fats and sugars either, you dont want to upset your natural metabolism. Dont be affraid of healthy carbs. I know a lot of people are very anti carbs, but when you lose weight your are already depriving your body of certain foods and nutrients. Your body needs fuel, not just for energy but for other cellular functions in your body as well. (I am not saying to go eat a loaf of bread and a bowl of pasta everyday).

Ease off the weights and focus on a variety of cardio workouts. Try new things. Get your heart rate up and your lungs working. Try cycling, swimming and running. Dont forget to take a break either. A break can be just as good as a workout every now and again. Pushing yourself too hard is just added stress and pressure and eventually you will become run down, tired and give up.

I have lost a total of 25 kilo's so far, of which only half with MFP. But I find that the suggestions I made works for me.

Good luck, chin up and chest out :-)
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request with a message. Best of luck.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

What's your height?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Do you log absolutely everything?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Are you taking measurements?

These are important questions to ask before assuming someone is not eating enough.

Also, when did you start lifting? How many days a week do you exercise?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Change your routine...From what I read, it sounds like your body is resisting fat loss because you are pushing yourself too hard and you are potentially cutting out important natural fats and sugars, which your body needs to function and burn fat properly. You body is probably thinking your are trying to starve it.
    Ignore this.
    Add some variety to your diet. Don't just have salad and chicken. Try fish, red meats, home made vegetable soups etc. Don't cut out fruits and veggies which carries natural oils, fats and sugars either, you dont want to upset your natural metabolism. Dont be affraid of healthy carbs. I know a lot of people are very anti carbs, but when you lose weight your are already depriving your body of certain foods and nutrients. Your body needs fuel, not just for energy but for other cellular functions in your body as well. (I am not saying to go eat a loaf of bread and a bowl of pasta everyday).
    Well, this is true. Breath air also.
    Ease off the weights and focus on a variety of cardio workouts. Try new things. Get your heart rate up and your lungs working. Try cycling, swimming and running. Dont forget to take a break either. A break can be just as good as a workout every now and again. Pushing yourself too hard is just added stress and pressure and eventually you will become run down, tired and give up.
    Ignore this very much.
    Negative. Keep going with the progressive training. Add or change only if you have time and energy.

What is your weight training program?

I'd add that question to the list of good questions.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    OMG! You sound exactly like me. I've been working so hard that people tink am a gym addict or freak buh I've got nothing to show for it. Ok, my body shape is gradually changing. I deadlift 200lbs 5*5 and squat 156 5*5 and I workout in a pool of sweat.
    My diet is pretty good, imagining avoiding all the sweet Nigerian foods at my disposal! Arghhhh! It's so frustrating and I understand exactly how you're feeling, let's just keep doing what we are doing and am sure things will turn around soonest.
    Like I always tell people I've been weighing 95kg since the day I was burn, lol, I became 98 after I started heavy lifting buh am told it will go down, ok, am willing to wait.
    Long story short, lest keep at it. Good luck.

WOW!! 200lbs deadlift and 156 squat is amazing. I've been doing 10x3 but read up on the 5x5 this morning and tried it today. I did 80lbs with the deadlifts and 70lbs with the squats. I need to find a real gym with heavier weights coz I piled on all there was and felt like I could do more with the fewer reps of 5. I'd love to get where you are. Thanks for the vote of confidence and I too am willing to wait. I love me some rich Nigerian food so I can imagine your pain :)
  • Fab30s
    Options
    avocado is really really good for you, dont cut it out! im betting you are gaining lots of muscle, while losing fat which means the scale wont show a number difference. just keep going, dont worry too much what the scale says, tho i completely understand your frustration. have you lost lots, and now youre just plateauing? the body is a strange thing...

Thank you. I'll keep the avocado. Someone else also said it's good for skin and Lord knows my skin needs help.