vitamin B12 shots

Options
hype or help for losing weight? Anybody done them? Opinions?

Replies

• AJB87
    AJB87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I bought a bottle of b-12 tablets to take, but haven't started them yet since I wanted to research it more. Hope we get some good input from our fellow MFP's.:smile:
  • tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i've been taking B12 for a couple of years. Their purpose is to increase energy level, which it has been doing for me. My weight has stayed the same throughout, so using it as a weight loss aid... I would say no such luck.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think Vit B12 kind of has the placebo effect. I'm sure it actually does something, but a lot of people are lazy are simply because they are / want to be that way. Once they start doing Vit B12 they usually clean up their diets, try to exercise more, etc.. Which we all know gives us more energy.
  • MrsMac927
    MrsMac927 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get one shot a week. I have lost weight (35 pounds), but in addition to the shot I have changed my eating habits, increased exercise and started taking other vitamins. I noticed increased energy the first couple times but not so much now.
  • tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think Vit B12 kind of has the placebo effect. I'm sure it actually does something, but a lot of people are lazy are simply because they are / want to be that way. Once they start doing Vit B12 they usually clean up their diets, try to exercise more, etc.. Which we all know gives us more energy.

I agree with this mostly. I know alot of people who have taken b12 supplements and complain that they notice no change in their energy levels. But i've never talked to anyone who takes it specifically for weight loss.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    B12 shots or vitamins will not increase your weight loss. They won't make you burn more fat.

B12 can help give you more energy if you are short on that vitamin (which is common among vegans and vegetarians as B12 normally only comes from animal products... minus nutritional yeast which is a great B12 food). If you aren't short on the vitamin there is really no need to be taking it.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I use them for good health and to keep what little energy I have. I actually switched from the shots to the sublingual tablets, though, because they are just as good (at least for me) and don't involve jabbing myself with a needle. They don't really give a jolt of energy, like, OMG, I feel SOOOO good. I just notice that when I quit taking them, I feel more tired.

As for weight loss, no. . .