Breakfast

Options
Hiya new here
Just wondered what you all eat for breakfast and whats a good think to eat to get your metabolism going!
I never ever usually eat breakfast bad i know! So I'm just after some tips because I need to start eating something in the morning!
Thanks

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Coffee or nothing. It's actually slightly better for your metabolism to skip breakfast. It also keeps IGF high which is anabolic (more muscles from lifting). Some people find that they end up bingeing if they don't eat breakfast. In this case, I'd recommend a high protein and moderate fat breakfast like eggs. Protein will make you feel full right after eating it and fats will help you feel full throughout the day so you don't have that mid morning crash that you'd get from just a bowl of sugary cereal.
  • losingArni
    losingArni Posts: 89
    Options
    hi!
    I love breakfast! I go to bed early just to minimize the conscious time between dinner and breakfast haha.
    anyway,
    in summer I usually go got low fat natural yogurt with berries mixed into it and maybe a weetbix or wholegrain cereal,
    in winter im usually going to have something like soy and linseed toast with natural peanut butter and a bit of salt, or porridge (which im loving at the moment!) with sultanas and a banana mixed in. - this is really delicious and keeps me full through to lunch time most days!
    hope this gave you some good ideas!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Today? 2 eggs, coffee, and a biscuit. Somtimes greek yogurt, sometimes a protein shake, sometimes fruit, sometime oatmeal, sometimes cereal/muesli. It all depends on what I'm craving and what I have time for. Sometimes I have it when I wake up and sometimes I don't eat "breakfast" until several hours after I've gotten to work.

However protein and fat keep me feeling fuller longer.
  • Hollyhocks89
    Hollyhocks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply's
    I usually just have coffee for breakfast just a little bit of milk no sugar and I dont usually get hungry till 12-1
    I havnt eaten breakfast properly since i was a teenager it used to make me feel sick eating early and would make me more hungry earlier so i just wouldn't bother!
    I will try eating something filling for breakfast see if it makes a difference thanks for your suggestions!
    Any more suggestions welcome!
    Thanks
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hihgh protein, high fiber, low sugar. Or, you might try IF since you already skip breakfast.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I genrally try to have something fairly high in protein. Except oatmeal days, oatmeal is not high in protein particularly but I still love it. I'm coming to the end of my oatmeal days for the summer though, it's just getting too hot to eat hot cereal in the morning!

So I'll usually have a Fage Total 2% Greek Yogurt with a packet of Emergen-C Raspberry sprinkled in and stirred up (sounds odd, tastes great), sometimes I like to add slivered or sliced almonds to this and occasionally a serving of frozen mixed berries as well, that's a RAD breakfast

The other thing that's fairly staple in my diet is 2-3 whole large eggs scrambled, topped with 1/4c shredded cheese and 2-4 tbsp of salsa. mmmmmmm

I make my own chai tea concentrate and if I'm running really short on time I will mix one serving of that (6oz) with 4 tbsp of fat free half and half and a scoop of vanilla protein powder, shake it up and drink it on my way to wherever I'm headed. That surprisingly lasts me several hours before I feel like I need a snack.
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Usually, porridge with half a banana or a couple of kiwi fruits, made with water, and with a dash (10ml) of maple syrup (lowest cal I can find), and all washed down with a cup of tea. Saturday & Sunday, I'll treat myself to toast and marmite, with a cup of tea.

Today, however, I had to have a fasting blood test so it was nothing until I got to work, apart from a cup of hot water for breakfast (not the ideal way to start the day!) and then a low-cal yoghurt with a Go-Ahead biscuit.

I will always have breakfast - doesn't feel natural to skip!!
  • xoxobollywood2
    Options
    toast with jam..
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Usually 2 eggs, half an avocado, & 2 slices of Ezekiel bread.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Egg whites scrambled with veggies are always good. Add a slice of turkey bacon or a wedge of light cream cheese on a whole-grain English muffin or tortilla and you're all set.
  • Hollyhocks89
    Hollyhocks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone loads of ideas :smile:
  • jrmaxino
    jrmaxino Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi guys.

I rarely eat breakfast. Maybe only when i am able to wake up early enough to get one.
    Reason is, i sleep late due to work and wake up around 10-11am.

So do i need to worry about my metabolism going slower? If thats even possible.

Ps: i am new with this forum thing. Tho started using this App last Mid march of this year.
    How do i get that siggy you guys are using.

Thanks!
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    I eat my most sugary foods at breakfast. like:

fruit smoothie.
    Peanut butter on toast.
    Peanut butter and banana sandwich.
    Pancakes.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Meal-timing doesn't matter for the vast majority of people without blood-sugar or similar medical concerns. If you're not hungry for breakfast, don't feel obligated to eat it, so long as you focus on your macros throughout the day.
  • smh363
    smh363 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ah it changes everyday. Today I had:

2 Eggs
    2 Egg Whites
    4 Pieces Turkey Bacon

Other days it's cottage cheese and a banana or hard boiled eggs if I'm running late.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hihgh protein, high fiber, low sugar. Or, you might try IF since you already skip breakfast.

she pretty much is doing Intermittent fasting. she just didn't know the name!!

eating breakfast doesn't jump start your metabolism, just like skipping it doesn't shut it down.

i like to skip breakfast so i can have more calories for lunch and dinner.
  • xfontx
    xfontx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a workout first early in the morning. After that, I come home and have either Egg white omelette with veggies (I stay away from cheese unless it's incredibly low in fats) or I have steel cut oatmeal with flaxseed, blueberries with a bit or sliced almonds. Some times I'll have hard boiled egg whites and an English muffin(whole grain). I also drink homemade smoothies with a little protein powder when I'm on the go.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have been making Applesauce/oatmeal/bran muffins for breakfast. I make a couple of dozen and they last a few days (for a couple of us in the family). they are high in fiber, low in fat and very filling. I eat two - under 300 calories and i'm satisfied until lunch. They are great for home or at the desk/at work. IF you would like the recipe let me know i'll pass it along.

Breakfast is the fuel for your morning!
  • xfontx
    xfontx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a workout first early in the morning. After that, I come home and have either Egg white omelette with veggies (I stay away from cheese unless it's incredibly low in fats) or I have steel cut oatmeal with flaxseed, blueberries with a bit or sliced almonds. Some times I'll have hard boiled egg whites and an English muffin(whole grain). I also drink homemade smoothies with a little protein powder when I'm on the go.
  • Diyamommy
    Diyamommy Posts: 56
    Options
    Hemp Protein Smoothie