Spin Class? Is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    why would this be under success stories?????
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    The size of your body has a direct impact on the calories you expend in a class. Someone who is light is going to burn fewer calories than someone who is heavy. For example, a 150-lb. person burns about 240 calories cycling at a moderate intensity for 30 minutes; a 200-lb. person burns about 320 calories under the same conditions.
  • madmiya
    madmiya Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    lots of people really enjoy this and it becomes a lifestyle.
    i mean, after the first few classes.
    i sort of avoid uncomfortable things so ..
    i didn't get far past the padded shorts in the dressing room.
    but try it! it could be your new addiction. a healthy, butt padded high.
    i think that's a good thing.
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's the one thing I really miss about going to the gym (I've moved out to the country so can't get to it anymore).
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    why would this be under success stories?????

jwabdvdshbasgncukhfjksdbcnxwhqiudgwuebfnmbc,noisahdiugdfvcnxb :explode:
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    As a runner I got talked into trying a spin class and have been hooked since that day! Burn madd cals and the intensity along with the intervals is awesome!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It is a nice workout but use CAUTION if you have a history of lower back problems......
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    When I started I'm pretty sure I was the biggest person in the class I was in lol. the best thing is though, it's not like you"ll be left behind. I think it's totally worth it and they also sell seat covers for more padding. what I find helpful is to move the seat forward or backward and it will ease the pain. i hope you do it!
  • Angela7zFit
    Angela7zFit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Love it. The sore parts will not stay sore if you keep going. Its the best sweat. My favourite day to work out is spin class day. If you get a great instructor you will feel motivated and inspired at the end of the class. it can really show you how strong you are.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    ive been Spinning for about a year...and I love it!

once you learn the set up of your bike you don't get uncomfortable so don't be afraid to get off in the warm up and adjust your bike to how it fits you best...even if you have to get off more than one time!

between Body Pump and RPM (Spin) each week Ive lost the last 50lbs or so...

its a kick *kitten* workout...I burn up to 500 calories in the 45 minute class...but you do get out what you put in and I literally melt sweat all over the floor...

if you stick with it, be sure to get some spinning shoes from your local bike store...it changes the entire workout...

YES! go and give it a go...and honestly, you are probably not going to love it but go a few more times and you might love it!

I personally have a love/hate relationship with RPM. I LOVE when Im done but I wont lie and say at some point I question why I decided to go workout...

have fun!!!!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes yes yessssssssss, as long as you don't mind not being able to walk after lol. Great workout.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I love it...its a great burn and awesome for your quads and glutes. I guess I bike outside and at the gym enough that I really don't have the saddle pain issues most people complain about....but its a lot of fun.

Give it a try...you have nothing to lose, and might just love it!
  • velodreams
    Options
    Spinning is really effective exercise & less wear & tear on ur joints in general. Make sure that ur seat height, saddle distance & handlebar height are adjusted correctly for u. That can make a world of difference for preventing injuries, back pain & optimizing comfort. Have instructor or knowledgeable person help u out. Enjoy!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It's a great calorie burner. Do it!!
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Go! The sore hoo-hah does go away after the 2nd class or so. I liked it so much I bought the shoes that clip onto the pedals which makes a BIG difference when you're climbing hills.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I started I'm pretty sure I was the biggest person in the class I was in lol. the best thing is though, it's not like you"ll be left behind. I think it's totally worth it and they also sell seat covers for more padding. what I find helpful is to move the seat forward or backward and it will ease the pain. i hope you do it!

I also did Spinning at my heaviest. I try to encourage larger women (or men) to stick with it. As you said, you can't left behind. As long as your heart rate is elevated, who the f! cares if you're doing jumps or whatever. Go for it, sweat and burn calories.

The second class is the worse on your bottom and then it gets better.

I used to have an instructor that would say "is that as hard as you can go?" and I'd mumble "no" to myself and kick it up a notch. I need someone to ask me that whenever I'm exercising.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I do a spin class at the local YMCA once or twice a week. At first, the bike seat made my bottom feel sore, but gradually, that went away.

If an uncomfortable bike seat is your main reason for not wanting to do a spin class, you could get a padded bike seat cover and take it to class with you.
  • lisadwelley
    lisadwelley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I took my first Spin class a couple of weeks ago. Besides the sore areas, I loved it. I have never sweat so much (even my socks were wet from sweat).

I had to take a break from exercising to fight a cold, but I will most definitely take it again. I bought a new HRM so I'm very curious on what I will burn.

I definitely say give it a try. Good luck. :)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    If I could take a pic of my legs for you I would... but it's hard without a full length mirror... I will try though.

YES ABSOLUTELY 110% I go once a week :) the soreness will continue until you get use to the seat... in the meantime, get a gel seat!
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I teach about half a dozen spin classes a week and love it.

A few things that will help!

1. Make sure your bike is set up correctly so speak to the instructor before the class to check the seat height, seat position, handlebar height and handlebar position to make sure it's right for you. Then take note of where the settings are (there's normally numbers or letters at each point) so you can adjust the bike yourself the next class.

2. Grab some bike shorts if you're uncomfortable and make sure your butt is right at the back of the saddle on the widest part of the seat so you don't put too much pressure on your nether region.

3. Make sure you've got a bit of resistance on the bike and don't free spin the wheels. This will prevent you from bouncing in the saddle which will be uncomfortable to say the least!

Enjoy :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!