Better Posture Advice / Tips please?

Options
Note: Not sure which board was the best for this topic. Mods, please move to the correct board if this does not belong here.

I've had bad posture since I was in middle school. That's when I first got access to a home computer. I've hunched over a screen ever since. This has caused a "crease" in my stomach area, below my ribs. I hate this line. My non-scale goal for the time being is to fix my posture and hopefully get rid of the crease with time.

I sit behind a desk during my working hours. I often get caught up in my work that I don't even register my posture slipping. Before I know it, I'm hunched over like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Any tips or suggestions to help remind myself to sit and stand straighter? I have a post it not on my desktop that reminds me but any other suggestions, help, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Replies

• The_Sue
    The_Sue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like sitting on an exercise ball. It's almost impossible to have bad posture on one, I even brought one to work! :)
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump...I have the same problem
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    seeing someone with bad posture reminds me to check mine.

Bad posture is a sure fire way to look 10lbs heavier than you really are.

I think it is training the mind to do it automatically. I mostly do because I think bad posture is so unattractive.
    Sometimes I think people got stuck like that. LOL.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I saw a news article about a third grade school teacher who bought exercise stability balls for each of her children. While working at their desks they fidget and wiggle and get their ya-ya's out. So I bought one and use that all day as I work from home behind a computer all day. I only use it sporadically, but it sure has helped with core muscles. Best of luck!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Keep your core tight - it's hard to have bad posture if your core is tight.

(And if you don't already, make sure you have a sound, full on core workout almost every day and that you change it every 6-8 weeks so that your muscles don't get used to it. Work with a personal trainer if you can. If not, youtube is full of great core workouts - the pilates based ones are fantastic.)
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I found this article last week and helps give some tips on posture alignment.
    Give it a read. Kelly Starrett really knows his stuff

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sit-better-live-better-excerpt-from-becoming-a-supple-leopard.html
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When I worked in an office, a lot of people sat on those balance ball things for an hour or so each day to help with their posture.

Make a conscious effort to sit straight in your chair. Keeping both feet on the floor instead of crossing your legs really helps this. Roll your shoulders up, back and down. When walking, imagine an invisible cord pulling you up to your full height.

In one of Tim Gunn's books he gave some great tips and called it "Bistro Posture" or something like that. He said to imagine you are in a crowded bistro squeezing in between tables. You'd stand up straight as possible, tilt your pelvis slightly up (which makes your butt go down and stomach in) and your shoulders down, not back.

Strengthening the upper back/shoulder muscles also really helps.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the good tips. Very helpful.

Unfortunately last year when I asked my work, I was told that my work does not allow for the balance balls as it is a liability. I am going to check with them again to see if anything has changed but I highly doubt it.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had the same issue.... there is actually now an office chair that is made from one of the large exercise balls, and it has helped her tremendously!
  • AlisalGal
    AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's tough when we have to sit all day! We can't use the stability balls either, but I do have a tall desk so can alternate between standing or sitting throughout the day. I had to get a doctor's note for that, and was able to do so because of my arthritic knee. A tip I've found useful is to imagine a string pulling you up from the top of your head - lifting you straight up from the bottom of your spine through the crown of your head. This straightens me right up, and I "settle" my shoulders after I've straighted my spine, kind of pull my shoulder blades slightly toward each other. Good luck! Good posture is so important, so it's a good thing to work on.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea for you, it's something I've picked up:) Pretend you've got a balloon over your head and the string goes through your skull, to the underside of your throat and down your spine. The balloon should be holding your chin up and thus straightening out your back. It's a silly mental thing, it just make you more conscious about it, but it works for me!
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The type of chair one would need is a Gaiam Balance Ball Chair. I am sure there are other brands as well. I don't know where you live, but I'm sure that most employers can't deny you the right to sit in a chair that supports your posture better. If anything, the liability would be them forcing you to sit in a chair that detrimentally impacts your health and wellness. These types of chairs are being used in numerous offices and classrooms across the nation; sometimes at the expense of the worker bringing one in from home, but other times the company actually foots the bill. You may need to purchase the chair yourself and then discuss the matter with HR if your employer refuses to let you sit in it. That's really ridiculous and your company needs to get with the times.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If your office place won't allow the balance ball (liability issues come to mind....mine won't either, so I have sympathy for you here), try simply sitting on the edge of your chair. Don't allow yourself to sit back. That forces you to sit up straight with your feet firmly planted on the floor. Raise your monitor so that your eyes are focused about 1/3 of the way from the top of the screen when your head is held level.
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When i was little, my grandmother made me walk with medical encyclopedia on top of my head for hours to teach me good posture and balance.
    And it worked. I've never had bad posture cause once you get use to it, it comes to you naturally. Also you might wanna do some pilates or/and yoga. It really elongates you and forces a good posture on you.
    Errrrr, when sitting at the desk, well i dont really know how to remind yourself. Maybe get one of those chairs with streight back or something, or what PO said, sit at the edge of the chair.

Hope this helped

ALSO, very important, suck in your stomach and keep it tightened. It will make you sit up streight.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    bump

any more advice out there? :flowerforyou:
  • DrPhilW
    DrPhilW Posts: 1
    Options
    As some other commenters have mentioned, the difficulty is remembering your posture while you're working. I had this exact problem - I knew how I should sit, but when I was engrossed in working I forgot all about it, and developed back pain as a result (generally through slouching in my seat rather than leaning forwards).

This led me to develop Postureminder, software that helps you to gradually and permanently improve your posture habits by reminding you whenever you sit badly. It uses a webcam to continually check your posture, so it only reminds you when you're sitting in a damaging posture (or sitting rigidly for a long period). So as your posture gradually improves, you get fewer and fewer reminders. It also includes other tools such as break reminders and stretch exercises to help you work more healthily and more effectively.

There's a 30 day free trial download on my website, give it a try: http://www.postureminder.co.uk
  • my5alive
    my5alive Posts: 4
    Options
    that's a great question and one I see a lot. Helping people with posture is my specialty as a movement coach. The easiest way to check it out is to go to our site. We just finishes a 5 part mini-series on the 5 Underpinnings of Positive Posture.
    The note on your desk is a great reminder. Over time though chances are that you will not see it anymore. That note will become part of the background and you'll continue to hunch.
    There are specific movements that you can do that will train your brain better patterns and that will become a habit over time.
    We've got simple 3 min. videos on YouTube that can help you along the way.
    Here's the link, hope it helps. Feel free to connect with me if I can help you further!
    Lisa
    http://movemoretoday.com/lets-wrap-up-this-posture-party/