first house

Options
MagicalLeopleurodon
MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
my hubs and i are hopefully about to buy our first house. it got me thinking...we dont own towels. or plates. or silverware. i have a vaccuum, and a coffee pot. i dont have my own cookware.

but then there are the smaller things-like toilet plungers and brooms.

so i started thinking of all the things it takes to have a functional home, and some are so obscure you barely notice.them until theyre missing.

What are some things you can think of that are neccessary to have in your own homw? :)

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    a spot cleaner (if you have carpet), it's like a mini steam cleaner. you can get 'em for between 60-80 bux.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Toilet cleaning supplies and other cleaning supplies.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    Add a can opener to your list. A handheld can opener will work just fine (:
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    1) A good tool set! You rbasics: wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters
    2) Kitchen: besides the cookware and dishes - SPICES! and dish detergent
    3) Flashlights
    4) Cleaning supplies - towels, and rags, detergents and sprays (or just vinegar which works for nearly everything), dust rags
    5) trash cans

I'm sure there's more, but those were the things off the top of my head? When I bought my new house a year and a half ago after living in an apartment and leaving half my stuff with my ex-husband in the house, the first thing I did was put up a 6-foot privacy fence, so other than that, I'm pretty useless when it comes to prioritzations. :)
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My bff bought a house last year, after lived at home for years. I made her up a basket of small items that you would never think of until you needed it that second. Tape measure, mini tool set, those rubber jar opener things. I forget what else. But it was stuff I remember not having when I moved out, and needed it when I didn't have it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    A colander. I first noticed I needed one when I made a huge pot of pasta lol.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A small basic tool box with tools:
    claw hammer
    small assortment of screwdrivers
    flashlight
    regular pliers
    needle nose pliers
    channel locks
    electrical tape
    duct tape
    tape measure
    a small socket & ratchet set
    a set of wrenches
    utility knife

I put together a small kit like this for my daughter when she went to college and used an engraver to mark all the tools with her name. Sure enough on the first day of moving in to the dorm she was the most popular person who had all the tools to put together the bunk beds and whatnot.

Now she's 40 and still has and uses that tool set.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    plunger, can opener, broom/mop, light bulbs, hand towels, batteries, tape measure, hammer, spot cleaner for carpets..
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    im just curious. how do you live without towels or plates? do you live with your parents? not trying to be snarky at all
    dishwasher is a life saver for me. but i have three teenage boys. shower curtain.some rubbermaid containers for leftovers. ziplock bags. make sure your mortgage payment is lower than what you think you can handle. there are so many things that go wrong with houses and so many things that you dont know u need. it takes a lot of money to set up a new home. goodwill was a lifesaver for us. good luck to you!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Plunger
    Broom/Dust Pan
    garbage cans
  • kmjacobs93
    kmjacobs93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Think about what you're going to do to pass time. It can take a few weeks before tv\internet gets hooked up :)
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Coffee maker!

I too was wondering how you live without towels or plates today.

You are fortunate to be doing this during prime yard sale season - you wouldn't believe what you can pick up 2nd hand for a lot less than you would spend new.

Lynne
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I echo the toolkit! Also things like spare light bulbs, extension cords and power bars, small mats for entryways, an iron and ironing board and drying rack, hangers, felt pads for underneath furniture, zip ties, batteries, mop and broom, dish towels....
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Smoke alarms (& carbon monoxide detectors if you have gas)
    Fire extinguisher
    Batteries & light bulbs
    Garden hose & lawn care equipment
    Fly swatter (or ball-peen hammer if you live in Florida)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    First, Congratulations!

I think the first thing I needed to buy for my first home was a toilet plunger.
    And the tool kit.
    And a bunch of light bulbs
    And paper towels for cleaning up.
    Windex.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    all the tool set people: my husband is a plumber and works on classic cars at home....im so excitee to put all his (FIVE. FIVE!!!) toolboxes in the garage!

shoot. probably need a keyholder since im forever losing keys....
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    can opener
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Smoke alarms (& carbon monoxide detectors if you have gas)
    Fire extinguisher
    Batteries & light bulbs
    Garden hose & lawn care equipment
    Fly swatter (or ball-peen hammer if you live in Florida)

the flyswatter would be stolen by the mosquitoes and used against us. but it reminded me that we need ant poison, mosquito spray, and wasp spray!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Coffee maker!

I too was wondering how you live without towels or plates today.

You are fortunate to be doing this during prime yard sale season - you wouldn't believe what you can pick up 2nd hand for a lot less than you would spend new.

Lynne
    we live with my mom, haha!
    all the dishes are hers, but i have a pretty awesome coffee mug collection ;)
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bath mats, curtains/rods, cutting boards/measuring cups for kitchen, drying rack for handwashed dishes, floor brush and dustpan... Lots and lots of stuff!

We have moved almost every 2 years and just recently we packed up our essentials to send to Japan ahead of our move there and it was fun separating what we'd miss more here than there for the 2months it'll take for our stuff to meet us there!

Congratulations on your new house!