Sports Bra/Chafing Help

Options
Alright, guys. I'm currently working nights and weekends as a waitress, and as the temperature rises and the tourist destination I serve at gets busier, I'm encountering a few problems, the worst of which is chafing.

My bras are killing me. I need a couple of good sports bras that I can wear while working outside in my uniform that will ease the discomfort but also provide signifiant coverage and support for the work environment. I would really love to hear from some ladies on ideal sports bras for me to try. Academy and Victoria's Secret are easily accessible for me, and I'm a 34DD if that helps any.

Also, if anyone has some suggestions for "chub rub"/"waiter butt"/thigh and butt chafing, that would be most appreciated too. I'm dying here on these long, hot, sweaty days running back and forth on the patio.

Also, I apologize if I put this in the wrong place, but I think these same problems are likely to be experienced by those having more traditional workouts.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Replies

• kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I wear a size 36DD bra, and the best sports bras I have are from Under Armour and Old Navy! I tend to go for the sports bras that have the straps that cross in the back because they tend to hold me up and keep "the girls" in there when I'm running and exercising and stuff. I've had no problems with them being uncomfortable!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You should look into Body Glide. You can buy it at most sport's stores. It looks like deodorant and you apply it directly to your problem areas. I use it on my thighs when I wear running shorts and it is WONDERFUL.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34D and I like the Champions sports bras.
    Also, my thighs rub all the time. If I am wearing a skirt or dress, I usually put on exercise shorts or stretch shorts underneath. Then my thighs don't rub. :happy:
  • MOJOtheDUCK
    Options
    Along the lines of the Body Glide, I just use deodorent applied directly to the thighs. Put a little on each and rub them together to make sure you have all the areas that touch covered and you should be pretty good to go
  • lisachapman1234
    Options
    I have found a great powder called "Anti-Monkey Butt Powder"! I am not kidding! Someone gave it to me as a gag gift a while back and it just sat in the cabinet. Then, when I started working out, I started having terrible chafing in "delicate:" regions. Could not find anything on the internet about my specific problem area, but remembered the "Anti Monkey Butt" and gave it a try. Worked like a charm - no chafing since! I have seen it at Wal-Mart. (Warning - it may be a conversation starter in the check out line! :laugh: )
  • iamdominique
    Options
    You should look into Body Glide. You can buy it at most sport's stores. It looks like deodorant and you apply it directly to your problem areas. I use it on my thighs when I wear running shorts and it is WONDERFUL.

Also, you could just use deodorant if you can't find that stuff. I do and it actually works really well!! :) I mostly use it between my thighs when I wear skirts.
  • Annabel89
    Annabel89 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've heard roll on deoderant for sensitive skin on your thighs helps...

Sports bra wise, as a bra-fitter in a past life, MAKE SURE IT FITS.

Seriously, go and get measured.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also recomment Body Glide. It's terrific, basically a lubricand that stops anything that rubs from chaffing.

I've tried deodorant but find it doesn't stay moist enough to make a difference if it's for a long time.

Though when going for an especially strenuous acticity, I will use a deodorant in the breast area to minimise sweating and the stickiness that promotes chaffing, and then put body glide on top.

Things like ointment and vaseline work too in a bind, but they will clog your pores and then you'll have a different set of problems.
  • loretta5ue
    loretta5ue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Body Glide type product.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't have a DD cup size, I'm very small (but saggy, lol) and need some good support. I just purchased this http://www.championusa.com/workout-clothes/sports-bras-43553--1/view-all-sports-bras/champion-the-show-off-sports-bra

It's pretty great, but I don't know how big the sizes will go. I've had the best luck with Champion and I've tried a lot of different ones.

As for "cub rub" or chafing I really like monistat soothing care chafing relief powder-gel and I think Body Glide gets good results too. If it's really bad and causing a rash I'd go for a base layer under your clothes, Under Armour makes some really great ones that are breathable. They are expenseive but worth it.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!! This has saved my armpits, the places where my HRM hits and my thighs from burning. I also make my SO use it for his "manly parts" since he works outdoors, and he hasn't had a single problem with chaffing or burning this year! Last year, when he wasn't using it, he was in massive pain. Body Glide is a lifesaver!
  • rachelc677
    rachelc677 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Body Glide ROCKS!!!! Take it from me....I participated 5 times in the Breast Cancer 60km Walk and the first year was hell until someone told me about Body Glide.....believe me it saved my thighs and under my arms where the bra rubs...Best invention ever lol!!!
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Lanacane also makes a product called Anti-Chafing. It's a lifesaver!

And for bras, I personally love my Ahh Bras and similar underwireless sports bras. I have C's though, so you may want to go with tips from other well-endowed ladies!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I adore wonderbras, they're a bit pricey though- but they hold well (and definitely do your size as I'm sitting in my 36FF at the moment) also never had any chaffing or pokey wires.

On the other side of things; in my work place I'm on my feet for about nine and a half hours and used to wear flat shoes which really messed up my joints. Turns out that having a wedge of at least one and a half to two inches with a strap across the main part of your foot puts your feet in a better position especially for long periods of time. I have Pavers shoes (unsure if they're available in American (assuming your American!)) they're amazing, I did a twelve hour shift in them and only had a bit of soreness in my calves. Also, buy shoes in the afternoon and leather doesn't always give as well as you'd hope!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You can also use neosporin on your thighs to prevent rubbing (just need a little).

As for bras, I'm the same size as you and looking for new ones. I have some that aren't really supporting anymore as well as some VS bras that support fine but are my old size. I wear them together. It may sound odd but I'm very well supported when I run lol!

I just haven't figured out what brand of sports bras I plan to buy next :P
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34D and I like the Champions sports bras.
    Also, my thighs rub all the time. If I am wearing a skirt or dress, I usually put on exercise shorts or stretch shorts underneath. Then my thighs don't rub. :happy:

Also a great idea!
  • pearlap73
    pearlap73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started using Enell brand sports bras (http://enell.com/) about 5 years ago and they are fantastic. I am busty (36DDD), and I really like to feel secure. I can wear these bras when running and I have no bounce! I also used them when I was nursing my babies, and I was even bigger then. (I think I was a G cup. It was out of control.) The downside is I have never seen them in a store - I have always ordered them online and they are kind of pricey. I also agree with the poster who suggested getting measured.

Good luck!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For chafing i've found that vaseline type products make it worse (they get sticky). Johnson "First Aid Creme" is beeswax based and is a good lubricant -- I tend to wear long shorts when I can but they are getting harder to find in the 6" length (plenty of 9" and 4" ones around, but 4" is too short).