Gave up alcohol, lost weight

Options

Replies

• gcrew
    gcrew Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm so happy I found these posts!! I am gearing up for my New Year's eve party tonight and thus will be enjoying my Chardonnay...probably 4-5 glasses. As with many of you I too drink my wine every night and it's never 1-2 glasses, but the whole bottle. I have such a hard time losing weight. I'm a healthy eater and an avid walker (never less than 3 miles) and yet I never lose weight. The holidays have made things even worse with the extra parties and goodies. I have made a promise with myself that after the new year (right after, not somewhere in the middle) I am going to give up the wine and see if I lose any weight. I've tried before to just be a 'weekend' drinker, but that wasn't enough. I still didn't lose any weight. I'm way too fat and I'm ready to change! Good luck to everyone.....

Keli
  • PatrickUSF
    PatrickUSF Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, really glad that I stumbled upon this post. I too have had way too much fun with Vodka Martinis and Red Wine. I am now around 210#s and my s/b weight at 5'10 is 155-60. I let myself go, and have zero excuses. Drank out of boredom and used it to cope when I was in a rut. Stupid.

So, I am 47, and relatively healthy aside from the moronic belly fat gain. The other day, I woke up and said enough is enough!

Until i reach the best expression of myself weight wise; there will be no daily enjoying of wine or a martini. NO EXCUSES.

Moreover, once I get to where I need to be, I will only have the occasional glass at a restaurant for a special outing or on holiday, and even with that limiting it to no more than 2 a day if that makes sense.

I own and claim my best self and health back now. I want to look good on the beach again dammit! lol :-)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I honestly think its not alcohol that makes people gain weight.
    but midnight meals at ihop and while you drink(The hunger associated with it)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's staying away for work that doesn't for me. To control myself at parties at home I will often volunteer to drive so have to stay sober. But when you are away for work, you have to find something to eat in the evening, and the boredom factor of eating alone often means that this is the bar at the hotel or the pub next door - right into the arms of temptation and gluttony. I try to plan for it but invariably gain weight. This week is a case in point - I had to entertain some international visitors so the diary is over and I have gained half a pound. Ho hum, will get it back next week........
  • PatrickUSF
    PatrickUSF Posts: 2
    Options

Definitely agree that the bad food choices while drinking contribute to weight gain; however I believe that stand alone drinking and let's say no exercise - weight gain is inevitable. It's just the science of it.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Stick to the appropriate number of calories, and you can drink as much as you want, honestly. It's calories in, calories out. I drink an average of one beer a day (usually 200 calories, I don't go for the cheap, light stuff,) hasn't hurt my weight loss at all. It's all about planning.

Yep. I drink on the weekends. I just make sure that I'm still hitting allowed number of calories for the week.

It's fine as long as you're in a deficit and not letting it get in the way of your fat and protein intake.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I probably drink too much, but I drink mainly at home, so not likely to eat junk because of it, or with colleagues while travelling, normally with and after a meal. However, I have given up beer and wine completely, the calories are too much (200+ for a pint of beer) and moved to spirits, a malt whisky for example is around 65 cals so I can have three whiskies against one beer in calorie terms and I do enjoy a decent whisky. I do manage to fit what I drink into my daily calorie goal and am not starving myself of food for the sake of drink, plus I continue to lose weight at a steady rate, so I don't have the overwhelming urge to stop drinking. I am aware of the fact that it is not healthy, and probably bad for my liver, so giving up is something I am thinking of more and more and I think it will gradually become part of my 'lifestyle change' (to use a cliche).................
  • NYCbaby28
    NYCbaby28 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been on MFP off and on for a few years but haven't posted in a while. I began exercising and eating better in my 30's when I realized simply eating low-carb will no longer bring on the magical 20-lb weight loss in one month as it did when I was 20-something. Although my body has responded well to JM workouts and Insanity (I'm more toned, energetic and "feel" smaller), I continue to lose then re-gain the same darn 5 lbs every week since the start of this year. SOOOO depressing as I'd like to lose 30 lbs total (I'm only 5'1, busty and carry it well but trust me, I have that much to lose). It's GOT to be the alcohol that's impeding my weight loss...

I love love love alcohol in any form, especially good craft beers and fine wine. But holy crap, someone here posted that one pint of craft beer can yield up to 650 calories!!! That made me take a 2nd look at my lifestyle. I hardly ever eat junk/fast food and for the most part eat well; love salads and consume good proteins. I never eat excessively; my family and loved ones joke about what a "cheap date" I've always been my whole life...until you take me drinking!! Lolz. I don't even eat before/during/after I drink. Anyhoo, after reading many inspiring posts, I decided to do a little "experiment" and not drink AT ALL for a while. I'm a Scorpio and we just don't do moderation--everything in excess...hahaha. So today is 7 days sober (began after a month of vacationing and LOTS of boozin') and doing okay, save a few withdrawal headaches and some fits of snappish crankiness which I'm sure are attributed to not drinking. My bf and I even went to our favorite local pub/restaurant on Saturday and I was nervous heading over there. Still, I managed a pint of seltzer with lots of ice and slice of lime while watching him enjoy a couple of good pints...and I was FINE! He's been extremely supportive; I had to "force" him to order a beer. Others around me don't have to suffer just because I'm a hot mess and can't stop at two...

To be clear, I don't drink every night but may have some wine/beer during the week with my boyfriend while watching a movie...let's say maybe once/twice per week, a few (2-3) per night. But it's the weekends when I binge and there's no stopping me. I enjoy vodka with club soda when I'm doing low-carb, but again, even drinking this along with exercise seems to be stalling my weight loss, whereas 10 years ago it went well with my Atkins plan and I lost like I never drank at all...

Sorry for the long-winded bio but I've been tinkering with posting for some time, just to get it out there and hold myself accountable since it's in print! I will try to continue my newfound sobriety at least until a big weekend, June 21st-23rd, and plan on beginning again after that. It's Monday so the rest of the week will be "cake" since my bf and I are training for a run and had already vowed to not drink during the week. The toga party on Friday will be challenging, however! Please feel free to reply with any encouragement or war stories, but since this topic is "old" I may only get crickets...lol. Good luck to each and all!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This.. but alcohol is the easy one to blame. Alcohol cannot be stored by the body, yet people think it is the alcohol ,not the muchies, that makes them gain weight.
  • Natdogg37
    Natdogg37 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just gave up wine and beer because I am not losing any weight but busting my butt at the gym and eating healthy. I think it has a lot to do with the booze.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Giving up alcohol is obviously a great thing to do for your health. So is going vegan or spend your life at a detox resort. But it's fairly unrealistic (unless you want to become one of "those people"), so most settle for "drinking less".
    There is no way I am cutting out wine of my life entirely. I might as well go and kill myself.
    What I do is:
    1. Calculate it in. By that I mean both the alcohol and some extra space in case I have munchies after. So light brunch and light dinner.
    2. Stick to healthier versions. The healthiest is dry white wine, although sometimes I'm in the mood for some red. Other than that, I'll have a glass of gin tonic, using slimline tonic (54 calories per glass).

It seems some of the people gaining weight on alcohol weren't counting the calories while they were drinking and of COURSE you'll gain weight consuming calories uncontrollably.
  • raperez129
    Options
    Giving up alcohol is obviously a great thing to do for your health. So is going vegan or spend your life at a detox resort. But it's fairly unrealistic (unless you want to become one of "those people"), so most settle for "drinking less".
    There is no way I am cutting out wine of my life entirely. I might as well go and kill myself.
    What I do is:
    1. Calculate it in. By that I mean both the alcohol and some extra space in case I have munchies after. So light brunch and light dinner.
    2. Stick to healthier versions. The healthiest is dry white wine, although sometimes I'm in the mood for some red. Other than that, I'll have a glass of gin tonic, using slimline tonic (54 calories per glass).

It seems some of the people gaining weight on alcohol weren't counting the calories while they were drinking and of COURSE you'll gain weight consuming calories uncontrollably.

I hear that!
    I'm sorry, I just can't go cold turkey. I'd rather cut food somewhere else, and save a few calories for alcohol. Lots of restaurants have skinny margaritas (which I love) for around a 100 calories. Saving room for 2 isn't that big of a deal. Otherwise I stick to mixed drinks without juice or sugar mixes. I want to loose weight, but I also don't want to totally loose my santity.
  • nelsonhrae
    nelsonhrae Posts: 37
    Options
    It is totally fate that I just found this group. I love love love my glass of red wine at night and a couple of beers with friends on game nights. I always factored in my drinking to my macros and kept under my limit but I am not seeing the scale budge. I am well within my healthy range so it is not the end of the world but I would like that extra 10 lbs gone. So if I want the weight gone, the booze goes with it. No more drinking on weekdays unless a real celebration or a major holiday (i.e Christmas and my birthday). I am hoping this diet change up shakes my body into getting rid of that last little bit.
  • beccajazz125
    Options
    After having my baby (2 years ago now) I slowly added booze back into my life. Old habits die hard - my, my! Once I start it seems fitting to keep on - for me this means typically 2-3 a night. My body has not "sprung back" to my pre-baby weight, and even with finally adding consistent running back into my life, my belly seems determined to stay. Oddly enough, booze is just a habit for me - there is a comfort there, I guess. I prefer the way I feel and what I accomplish when I'm not fighting its after effects, or while under the influence. This will be my third attempt to limit my drinking to the occasional social event/dinner out. I know that I lost weight when I got pregnant initially (I gained about 25 total with the baby, about 15 of which is camped out still), so I'm relieved to find this outlet to remind me each day to keep trying. I estimate my weekly calorie reduction by booze elimination will be enough to not bother with a diet (they make me crazy anyhow) and eventually get back to a non-jiggly place. It's time to get rid of my daughter's "unborn twin"! It doesn't help when folks keep asking me when I'm due. (I'm tall, thin-limbed, and thick waisted, so I've always fought the preggo comment, even at my slimmest - 5'9" 135 lbs.. It's just worse now, as I must agree with my inquirers, I still look about 5 months.) Wish me luck. Just two days in right now.
  • dg5656
    Options
    I find that denial is the toughest part about giving up alcohol. I turned 50 and went to the Dr(for the first time in decades) and found that my Triglycerides were 2-3 time what they should be. It was time to see if my intake of beer was contributing. I would have 2-3 a night and increase volumes on the weekends. I had been exercising and running but hit a wall. I decided to end the drinking, and while I was at it try this vegetarian nonsense that everyone was suggesting. Well after 2 months, I have dropped 15 lbs and feel better than ever and have come to the realization that I was a functioning alcoholic. I have another blood test in the middle of October and hope to be another 10 lbs lighter by then. I will be starting yoga on Friday. My biggest suggestion is to be totally honest with yourself and avoid the need to make excuses. It is not easy.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Yep, removing alcohol = losing weight.
    I have a friend who is pretty much a drunk. She's a matchstick with a fat stomach. Not a pot belly, just flabby fat. When she stops drinking she's slim all over, when she restarts it's back to matchstick fatty.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking completely in April as I had to go on some hardcore antibiotics for two months to deal with a skin complaint. When I got to the end of the two months I felt amazingly healthy and has lost 4kg. Since then I have pretty much stayed clear of alcohol and have continued to lose weight without any major modifications to my diet.

There was a small change to the type of food I wanted to eat as I wasn't craving salty or carb food when hungerover or drunk. Plus not drinking alcohol has given my liver a chance to do what it meant to do in terms of body function rather having to process booze as a priority.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I start every day off saying "No drinking tonight" and by 6 or 7pm, I am having one. I stopped in Jan. for 3 weeks, lost 15 lbs, Hubby and I were doing it together, We had a celebration weekend (had to finish it off) and then he decided that he couldn't sleep without a drink, Just a bad habit. I try to stay really busy and not get home as early most nights, then I drink less. LOL!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    At one point in the past, I was drinking stupid amounts of beer daily. I stopped mainly because I was getting drunk and pissing my friends off, and 20 pounds dropped off so fast it made my head spin! I have found that the beer puts weight on much faster than wine though.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    At one point in the past, I was drinking stupid amounts of beer daily. I stopped mainly because I was getting drunk and pissing my friends off, and 20 pounds dropped off so fast it made my head spin! I have found that the beer puts weight on much faster than wine though.
    Ty!ried the Bud light diet one summer and gained 20 pounds! Not happy