Not sure what I am doing wrong :(

Options
Hi there, so I am 5'10 and weigh in on average 238. For the last month I have been keeping track of everything I am eating, low fat, low carb, low sodium. I stay between 900-1100 calories a day. I use the ellipticle 5 days a week for 30 mins (2miles, 310 calories) and I do weights with heavy concentration on my arms , back and thighs. I also started hip hop abs. I can't lose a pound to save my life. Heck, sometimes if I go over 1150 calories, I weigh in 4lbs higher. All water, all day. Any guesses as to what I might be doing wrong?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My guess is input errors or thyroid issues.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    How is your sugar intake?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I don't think your body is liking you eating so little, and is holding onto water like crazy because of it.

For comparison, I am 5'1'' and take two 30 minute walks a day. I eat 1300 a day, and I'm losing.
  • wanttolose62
    Options
    Ok first off, you likely aren't eating enough. If you are working out 5 days a week for 30 minutes, you are not giving your body enough fuel to burn the way it should.

Women shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories as a completely sedentary individual. You aren't sedentary according to your information.

However, you may want to have some blood tests done to see if there are any unknown issues.

Have you gone to any websites to calculate your appropriate caloric intake for your lifestyle? If not, research a few. One site that has multiple calculators is: www.fat2fit.com Someone else suggested this site just for the availability of the different calculators, not for advertisement.

MFP gave me 1200 calories a day limit, but the other calculators said I should be eating closer to 1500. Now, I'm not certain my number is correct since I just started that level this week. But aside from being tired and hungry all the time at 1200 calories, I do want to see if the higher calories bumps my calorie burning for weight loss.

Good luck.
  • lisab_0105
    Options
    When I wasn't losing I had a whole work up done. Thyroid is perfect.
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree. Eat more, it sounds counterintuitive but when I upped my calories the weight came off so much easier.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You need more food, dude.
  • lisab_0105
    Options
    I use MFP tracker for everything.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Based on your weight, height, and activity, you should be eating in the neighborhood of 1800-2000 calories.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The calorie objective is too low, but there's something significantly wrong beyond that. Something isn't getting tracked accurately.
  • Kai81109
    Kai81109 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    you are eating to little you need to eat 1200 calories a day and space it out into 4-6 meals.... Check your measurements every week and write them down. Your doing some strength training so your building muscle while burning the fat and muscle weighs more than fat so the scale might not show your loss but your measurements should change... give it time
  • sirenical
    sirenical Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Input your food and exercise and eat your exercise calories.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    First watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDANtU4LUkc
    Then watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QHHzie6XRGk

And focus on a strength training program such as StrongLifts 5x5 or NROLFW
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eat More. Get your thyroid checked. Talk to your doctor, maybe a dietitian too.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I say for 3 weeks do the same amount of exercise but add 200 more calories to your diet and see if it make s a difference : )
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    n/m
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Do you log everything (including cooking oils, drinks, condiments, etc.)? What kind of weights routine are you doing?

If you're not eating back your calories burned, read this as it might apply.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    . I stay between 900-1100 calories a day. Any guesses as to what I might be doing wrong?

yes - quit starving yourself. You need to eat more - especially if you're working out a lot.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You need more food, dude.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating more. It's very unhealthy to eat that low, especially for someone of your height and weight. EAT MORE! Eat back some of your exercise calories.

Also, check with your doctor if you have any thyroid problems