Very tough time with 5k yesterday

Options
2»

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The heat is definitely a factor. But, since you ran it in 29 mins, which is great, including some walking, I'm going to say you probably went out too fast, especially for the conditions. Do you use a running ap that keeps track of your splits? I use map my run on my phone and start it up even for races. That way I can check my mile averages. My last 5k I felt much like you did, I had a decent time, 28:01, but I felt like I was being tortured. Turned out I averaged 8:19 for my first mile, my goal was 9 mins per mile. So of course that wasn't a sustainable pace for me and I missed my goal by 3 seconds because I had to slow it down. Then, instead of feeling great about my 5k pr, I felt like I could have come up with those 3 seconds if only I had started slower.
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some credit, girl, and congratulations on completing your 5K! This is a great acommplishment, and also it looks like your time is improving too! Keep it up, and be patient with yourself and show yourself and your body some compassion. Otherwise, make sure you are fueling and hydrating enough especially during a hot day run, dont start off so hard and be mindful of your breathing. I went from not being able to do a mile due to knee and lower back problems early last year, to just recently completing my first Half Marathon. Let me tell you, it's a love hate battle but if you keep putting yourself out there, you'll see your time improving as well. I went from an 11 min/mile to a 9.5 min/mile, but it didnt happen over night, it took a lot of patience and positive reinforcement. You can do it!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts. Over 50 degrees F will start to slow you down. If it was 70 or 80 that will slow you down even more. If you map your run, did this one have more hills? Maybe you started slower last time, do you know your mile splits? And you are running 3 miles 3 times a week, maybe you need to run longer to build up some more stamina. Maybe it was later in the day and you are like me and get slower as the day wears on?

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just run and have fun!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    90 and humidity but you still finished in under 30 - excellent! I run a 10 minute mile pace most of the time and have no plans to try to increase that dramatically (if at all). I usually make it 5k without walking but it is no big deal if I walk some before or after that mark. All kinds of factors make one day better or worse than the next and I often really have no clue what they are. Over Mem Day weekend, I ran over 7 miles one night without walking and I would never have bet on it happening at the end of a long and tiring day. A few times I have prepared, rested and been primed for a run and find myself walking in mile 2. No clue why. Who cares? I am not in this for any sort of glory, just to get healthy. Congrats again!
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That is exactly how I felt. I did great, but could have done better if I paced myself better. I do use runkeeper that was letting me know how far and fast I was going and realized I did the first mile in a little over 8 minutes and that is way too much for me. I guess after waiting around an hour for the race to start got me a bit jazzed up.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of that saying No matter how fast you are going, you are still lapping everyone on the couch :tongue:

Don't be so hard on yourself, your running capabilities will fluctuate depending on outside factors and sometimes you just have an off day. We can't be at our 120% every day. Dwell on the positive facts like you are running 5Ks! So you had to slow to a walk occasionally, could "before" you even participate?
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's true that running in the heat makes the effort increase. But you should still be able to keep up your pace in a 5k if you're used to it and do at least half your runs outside. I live in Texas so I know all about running in the heat! Besides that though, there are a couple of thing you can do to increase performance. Here's what took my 5k's from about a 28-29 min finish to a 26 min finish with the same race effort:

1.) Run a long run each week. It will increase your endurance considerably. You don't have to run it fast, but you need to get in more miles. Only running 3 milers is not enough to increase your speed in a 5k. Start with a weekly long run of 4 miles, then in 2 weeks go to 5, etc. For 5k's, you want your weekly long run to be somewhere between 6-8 miles. If you plan to do longer races, then obviously, that will have to increase.

2.) Warm-up before the race. I usually jog about half a mile, easy effort, then stop and walk around a little. Then do another quarter or half mile easy effort then a few very short sprints (10 seconds) and recover by walking in between each sprint. When waiting at the starting line, I also keep moving. Bouncing lightly, stepping from side to side, knee lifts, etc. No stretching before the race though, it actually slows you down - some people disagree, but most coaches will tell you to only stretch after you race.

And yes, control that pace the first mile or you're screwed! Hope that helps and good luck!!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Anyone who commits themselves to a 5k or any race is doing better than many people in this world. I hate running, I only run once a week and only for about 1.5 miles...and I have to make myself. But I still sign up for a couple 5ks every summer just to keep myself in check.

About a year ago, I signed up for a 5k that was raising money for Hawk Ridge, bird conservation. I volunteered there, so felt I should do the race. I knew it was a trail race and I had done some jogging on trails before. The morning of the race it was sleeting, windy, cold.... I did not want to go. But, it was a morning race, I'd already paid for it. I knew that in an hour I could be back in my bed. So, I got up and went. I was one of about 30 people that actually showed up and the other 29 were serious trail runners. It was the worst 5k of my life! I came in dead last...not just last, but almost 10 minutes after the person in front of me. EVERYONE was at the finish line cheering me on. It was so miserable, but it felt so good to be done (plus, since no one was there, we all got at least one door prize).

Regardless of the situation, running is VERY mental. And learning to push past those mental obstacles can be the hardest part. After all, you put in the work! Your body obviously was prepared to run a 5k. I like to concentrate more on my breathing when I'm having a rough patch. Count your breaths to your pace, try to find a comfortable zone and keep that pace.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another board, but figured I would vent again. I ran my second 5k and although I did it in decent time for me - 29.08, I struggled to get through the race. I completed the C25k program in December and have been running 3+ miles several times a week. Did my first 5k on St. Patrick's day in very cold weather and my time was 30.48, but I don't feel like I struggled to cross the finish line. Yesterday was very hot so I'm assuming that had something to do with it, but I also think I just started out too fast and couldn't keep up. I had to stop and walk a few times for a few seconds and then forced myself to keep running, as I know the distance shouldn't have been too hard. I get annoyed everytime I think about when I was walking and telling myself I could have done it in less than 29 minutes.
    You're complaining because you "only" did a sub-30 minute 5K? :huh:

I haven't even managed a sub-31 minute 5K yet. :grumble:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You are only running a couple of times a week and only three miles and your time improved anyway. To really start bringing that time down you are going to need to run more. Just try and ease your miles up 10% per week and then when you get to 20 per week incorporate intervals 1 time per week. Your time will come down. Keep at it.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    First of all - that is a great time!! But, as others have mentioned, some days you just don't feel good. Some days you feel terrific! I am comforted by my long time marathon running friend who has good races and bad, often without rhyme or reason. Next time when you feel wonderful, you'll wonder what caused that, too! JUST. KEEP. RUNNING!!! :smile:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    In the heat, it does make the whole thing harder because the heat makes you tired regardless of the activity you are doing. It also makes your heart work harder as it's trying to cool your body down as well as keep up with your activity.
  • TiredMom12
    Options
    I'm going to start the bridge to 10k program now and will be increasing my runs. It is hard as a mother of 3 small chidren and working, but will try my best to make the time. I already get up on my days off from work before 6 to get a run in so I'm sure I can get up at 5:30!! Thanks for your support and advice. Much appreciated.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As a rule of thumb, when it's real hot you will run a 5K about a minute slower than you could have done on a cool day.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I just felt like I didn't belong running since I was really having to mentally push myself to keep going. Once I was done, I was extremely happy, but wish I enjoyed it more. I ran on Friday, but didn't run on Saturday to prepare for Sunday. I was saying in my head that this was going to be my last race, which really upsets me b/c I truly love running. I have to let it go!

CONGRATULATIONS and stop beating yourself up over it. my PR for a 5k is 32:17. be proud of that time! i would be. i ran a half marathon on saturday just outside DC and i can tell you it was the heat that made you feel that way. i ended with a time of 2:53 (my first half) and hell i'm proud of that time! sign up for next race put this race behind you and get out there a run. fyi i never run the day before a race. i did it once and it hurt more than helped.
  • TiredMom12
    Options
    And just to make clear, I'm not complaining about the time I ran the race as all I was looking to do was keep it under 30, I'm upset b/c I didn't enjoy the race and struggled to get through it. I love running and so happy at what I've accomplished over the last several months, but I really wish that I wasn't miserable the entire run yesterday.

Again, thanks for all the advice and encouragement!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options

I haven't even managed a sub-31 minute 5K yet. :grumble:

me too! come the fall though my goal is the break through the 30 min for a 5k
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    And just to make clear, I'm not complaining about the time I ran the race as all I was looking to do was keep it under 30, I'm upset b/c I didn't enjoy the race and struggled to get through it. I love running and so happy at what I've accomplished over the last several months, but I really wish that I wasn't miserable the entire run yesterday.

Again, thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

my first 10k was like that - i didn't enjoy it and i struggled (stopped a LOT and wasn't happy about it). the following weekend i went back to where the race was held (it was local) and reran the course straight through no stopping. even though it was the following weekend it did make me feel better. :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. The humidity has hit...hard. The other day I couldn't make it 15 min without stopping to walk for a little while. I feel like I'm trying to learn how to run all over again.