I give up easily

Options
I started "myfitnesspal" on Saturday using my Android phone after a friend of mine showed me her calorie counting app on the iphone. I didn't even know about all this stuff on the website until tonight and I'm so glad I found it! I am an all or nothing person. If I can't get something right the first time, I tend to quit. Last night I weighed myself and after 4 days of eating 1200 calories or less plus two days of exersice I didn't see any difference. It was disheartening to say the least. I mentioned my disappointment to a friend of mine and he told me that I was doing great and not to give up. That was all I needed, just a little encouragement. I had another friend who took me out for a Mexican lunch and ordered cheese dip! That was not encouraging but I decided to enjoy some and then walk tonight. I'm not totally sure that I'm finding the correct caloric totals on foods that I eat out in restaurants but I just take everything with a grain of salt. I also need to get a scale that I can actually read (the lines are so tiny) - or just switch to measuring my body instead which I might do. I'm going to try to blog at least once a week because I like to write. Thank you to this site. I'm looking forward to being a part of this online community.

Replies

• kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    All you can do is...all you can do! We are human and we aren't perfect. I'm the same way...if I can't have it done perfectly and NOW, then I don't want it or to do it. So this is an exercise (no pun intended) in patience, determination, and goals for me.

We get up, we fall down, and then we do it all again!! ;)

Welcome to MFP! If I can do this, ANYONE can. I wasn't a couch potato 4 months ago...I was the COUCH! This is also teaching me to believe in myself...which is also new to me.
  • Sonflower
    Options
    Don't give up..keep at it...get a digital scale if you can, I love mine...I am trying to not eat out so that is helping me out a lot..I am also eating real foods so that helps too..keep up the good work, the weight did not get there overnight so it want go away overnight..
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! This is a great site with a lot of support and encouragement.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about the cheese dip, just be aware of how much you eat! Studies show that people who cut out everything they love are most likely to drop a diet quickly! Moderation is the key to a healthy relationship with food :)
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have certainly come to the right place for support and motivation!! :flowerforyou:
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Dont give up! I know its easier said than done, trust me, ive started this journey several times and given up after a week, a month or even a few days...but since joining MFP and officially joining a local gym, I have really stuck with this!
    Baby steps! Start small and work your way up...make sure you are drinking LOTS of water, its SUPER important to drink lots of water! Cut out sodas, trust me, I know its hard but it will be worth it in the end to see those results! Eat as many fresh whole foods as you can, cut out the processed junk. Walk more, move more.
    and, be sure you dont eat under 1200 calories a day, thats going to have you getting into starvation mode which can start making your body work against you and you may actually GAIN weight, and I figure thats not really what you want.
    Good luck, you CAN do this! If *I* can do it, ANYONE can :)
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP before you see the miracle!!!!! Life is all about choices, just because you make one that may not be the best, doesn't mean it has to be the end, it just means you look forward to tomorrow and add a few more minutes to your workout!!!:drinker: You have come to the right place for encouragement and motivation.:flowerforyou: Welcome!:smile:
  • PhabPhilo
    PhabPhilo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!
    I have the mindset that calories are currency. So I decide if the treat is worth the extra workout, eating less at another meal, or a setback. My weight always seems to drop just before my weigh-in day. So give yourself time, forgiveness and encouragement. Sometimes family and friends tell me I deserve to take a break and eat what I want. But the way I see it, I deserve to eat healthy and change my eating habits.

Good luck!
  • kelhar
    kelhar Posts: 7
    Options
    Would you please explain more about gaining weight if I eat under 1200 calories a day?
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Some people think it's a myth, but if you eat less than 1200 a day your body may go into "starvation mode." This means that your body thinks there is a shortage of food and it holds on to whatever calories it can, thus stalling your weight loss. You need to eat a minumum of 1200 a day. In addition, if you are exercising you also should eat those exercise calories. For example, if you eat 1200 calories and then workout and burn 300, you technically only had 900 calories for the day (1200-300 = 900). So you need to eat back that 300 calories to get your full 1200. MFP will calculate all of that for you, though. Just be sure to log everything you eat and the exercise you do.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Would you please explain more about gaining weight if I eat under 1200 calories a day?

Read these they are very helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Its in human nature to want instant gratification. But stick with it. You will find many people to encourage you here. i found out you can't rely on help on what you do with your body. Encouragement Yes. You are the one to decide to put good things or bad things in it. I'll tell my husband I'm trying to lose weight and it seems immediately he drags out the chips or ice cream. I'm not sure he really even realizes he does it. What I'm trying to say is be strong and you can do it.