Clean eating and alcohol, possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat around 1,500-1,600 calories a day, which gives me an 800-900 deficit. I'm doing bar prep, so I can't really hit the gym as much as I would like.

One thing I've noticed is that with such a large deficit, one craft brew knocks me on my *kitten*. Living in Denver also helps me be a lightweight. I hate feeling wasted, so the problem of excessive drinking may just sort itself out.

What I'm really looking for are craft brews that are yummy and healthy...ish.

I define a craft brew as any brewery smaller than Harpoon, New Belgium, Sierra Nevada. I'm a beer snob. If you say Blue Moon is anything other than a gateway into craft brews, I can't take you seriously.

Upslope's Craft Lager is yummy...ish and healthy...ish. Any other ideas?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    You either want to eat clean or you don't. Decide.

Hey look, a douche.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I still have my wine, I just have it on weekends when I spike my calories. Enjoy the beer, in moderation :drinker:
  • Dharmafor1
    Dharmafor1 Posts: 32
    Options
    I love craft beers too, so I feel your pain. I've cut out all beer until I hit my weight loss goal, at which point I'll be able to add some calories back in for maintenance weight. It's been April since I had a good beer and it will probably be by the end of July before I have another one, as I'm trying not to cheat on this. So yeah, I'm missing out on the summer IPA's but my real love is for autum offerings like Octoberfests and Pumpkins. Even Wee Heavy's and such. To make it more difficult, I have several cases cellared right next to where I workout! It being growler weather, my beer snob friends are also trying to break me! Lol I tend to agree though if you work them into your macros you probably don't have to obstain. I just want faster results.
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    I eat clean and have a drink when i go out, I heavy lift and swim and I am loosing every week.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Who says drinking "good" beer isn't clean eating anyway. Give me a break. Beer is a natural product full of good stuff. Check it out:

1.Up to two beers a day for men (women should only have one), will help to reduce your risk of having strokes, and heart disease. Light drinking appears to reduce the risk by as much as 20% according to research in United States.
    2.Beer can help to increase the level of HDL (beneficial cholesterol) in the body and decrease the likelihood of blood clots.
    3.A couple of beers can raise the level of anti-oxidants in the blood stream. This enables the cells to carry more oxygen around the body. More oxygen helps better muscle activity among other things.
    4.Beer contains vitamin B6 which is needed to make haemoglobin, the red coloring in blood. This carries oxygen around the body. It also helps maintain correct blood sugar levels.
    5.It is fat free, aids restful sleep and promotes relaxation.
    6.Beer contains vitamins B and B2 (as well as B6) and essential minerals like calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
    7.Dark beer is better for you than light. It contains more flavanoids which are natural oxidants that help to protect the body from disease.
    8.For post menopausal women, beer may be a beneficial addition to the diet. Some hop flavanoids have properties like oestrogen and research suggests that this property may make it possible to produce a natural form of HRT to replace the current one.
    9.Beer can help to reduce blood pressure and levels of insulin in the blood.
    10.Beer drinking can also reduce the incidence of kidney stones. This may be due to the water, the hops, or the alcohol, but, whatever the reason, it seems to help.

Moderate.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat around 1,500-1,600 calories a day, which gives me an 800-900 deficit. I'm doing bar prep, so I can't really hit the gym as much as I would like.

One thing I've noticed is that with such a large deficit, one craft brew knocks me on my *kitten*. Living in Denver also helps me be a lightweight. I hate feeling wasted, so the problem of excessive drinking may just sort itself out.

What I'm really looking for are craft brews that are yummy and healthy...ish.

I define a craft brew as any brewery smaller than Harpoon, New Belgium, Sierra Nevada. I'm a beer snob. If you say Blue Moon is anything other than a gateway into craft brews, I can't take you seriously.

Upslope's Craft Lager is yummy...ish and healthy...ish. Any other ideas?

Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro is in my fridge at all times. What I'd give to be in Colorado so I could try the true microbrew stuff that's not distributed across the country.

Beer styles don't vary terribly in calories, and at the deficit you're eating at you have some padding. A lager will run you 150-175 for 12 oz., an imperial stout will be about 300, a porter 200-250, and so on. Just pick a style you like from a major brewer with nutrition info and log your craft brew as that. Then make a note in your food diary about what you really drank so your friends don't hate on you for drinking Budweiser ;)

ETA: Calories will correlate to the ABV%. A 4% lager and a 6% lager are not going to be the same calorie-wise, so check on that too.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    All good advice, I'm making a blog about bar prep, drinking and losing weight.

BL-LOLOL-G: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/seventwenty/view/bro-at-the-bar-the-start-538993
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate artificial categories like "clean eating". If you cut out the things you love, you are probably not going to be able to stick to it. So just eat as well as you can, and enjoy that craft beer.

I see your point, but I plan on going clean eating light, just for the beer. I already make a bunch of my food from scratch, or as close to scratch as possible. I'm working on finding good farmers markets for produce. I' just refining my clean eating light system.

I make my own beer from scratch (barley, water, hops and yeast) :drinker:

It's just that we see so many posts on here about "can I eat [this/that/the other] if I eat clean?" If you chose to call some food clean, others must therefore be dirty; and that distinction is sometimes arbitrary. Eat good food and drink good beer!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'll go with the "who said drinking beer isn't clean" category as well. Should it make the majority of your daily calories? Nope, probably not, but beer has been around a really long time, and I've heard it referred to as liquid bread on history and discovery channel programs.

Eating clean is a ridiculously vague and unhelpful term anyway, unless you aren't washing your produce or you are rolling your food on the ground before eating, it is probably "clean" ;)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm a clean eater...

I've stopped drinking beer. I keep wine to one or two glasses of red with a nice meal.

I have the occasional gin and tonic or vodka & soda with fresh lime wedges.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Cut/reduce things that I don't care for so much - it's a lifestyle, it shouldn't be unpleasant. If alcohol gives you joy (and you're not an alcoholic lol) than enjoy it! But maybe you don't care as much for another slice of pizza or the sour cream on your baked potato. Do what works for YOU!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You either want to eat clean or you don't. Decide.

Hey look, a douche.

Douche for sure :smile:
    It is great to strive for "clean", it does not have to be all or nothing!

When you cheat you are only lying to yourself.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I work my craft beer into my macros. I tend to try and combine a craft beer with a good amount of protein and veggies. Fortunately most of the gastropubs I go to are really good at this. ;^)

I don't think the beer itself is a problem, it's what people eat with it. If you're downing a lot of carby salty snacks with it you've got a problem. If you're eating "clean" -- meat, veggies, etc. then the alcohol doesn't seem to be an issue for me at least.
  • NYCbaby28
    NYCbaby28 Posts: 12
    Options
    @seventwenty: Just checked out your blog! I too am studying for the bar (NY--February. Graduating a semester early, in December). I feel your pain on the craft beer withdrawal; since I moved to Cleveland to finish law school I've delved just as deep into microbrewery debauchery as I have casebooks.

I've been on MFP off and on for a while but never used my ticker (or any of its tools, really) since my weight fluctuates so frequently. Starting last Tuesday, after weeks of finals then vacation (ie: heavy boozin') I decided to refrain from alcohol as long as I can...just to "clean out" and "dry out" a bit. But gosh do I miss it all, especially the good beers here like "Great Lakes" editions. Now this is just me, so don't anyone jump down my throat, but I've cut back on the beer lots because they tend to bloat me. For those without that problem, I'm soooooo jealous. But I read on one of these "alcohol" posts that a pint of good craft beer can yield up to 650 calories! YIKES! Don't get me wrong, I WILL be having those again, just doing a little personal experiment for as long as I can. Tomorrow's toga party...well, that's another story. Maybe vodka/club soda, maybe nothing at all. Haven't touched ANYTHING in 10 days and it kind of sucks but I'll live vicariously through you!

Anyhoo, I definitely think you can fit them into your macros and still lose weight. You seem to have a handle on how much you can and want to drink, so you should not have any issue. The one thing I'd recommend (stating the obvious) is to stay extra active if you're going to indulge in those yummy beers. I always worked out harder when I knew I'd be drinking something other than a few wines, vodkas or bourbons.

Sorry for the long post but I will end with this sidebar: Your blog noted that Brooklyn Lager was your fav. Well, back home in NYC I'd go to Brooklyn Brewery's AWESOME block parties in Williamsburg, Brooklyn every summer and, needless to say, they ROCKED!

Add my as a friend if you'd like. It'd be nice to have someone to share in the suffering with (bar-prep wise and weight loss wise). Cheers!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It doesnt have to be an all or nothing ordeal.
  • bridge94
    bridge94 Posts: 1
    Options
    Late reply - for me alcohol and eating clean doesn't work - if I really eat clean and have a glass or two of wine or a beer I am so ill the next day, my head aches for hours and my body is exhausted for a day or two after - even if I drink a ton of water at the same time - I think my body knows the answer for me - eating clean & alcohol = NO!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Taking the bar exam? Ouch, I do not envy you. My sister went to law school and took the bar exam, and I believe of all her friends that took the test, only she passed. I remember when closing in on the test date she'd go to sleep with books all around her and woke up citing torque.

Well, other people have weighed in on the issue. If you decide you want to stick to mostly nutrient dense foods, yet stay under your calorie allotment for the day, then eat a little lighter, and beer will fit right in!

Honestly, good luck on your bar exam preparation!