Options

Replies

• sunnie5468
    Options
    im in
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Missed zumba yesterday but did exert a bit of energy helping my cousin move my sisters large entertainment center lol.
    either way Im pretty sure im finally unstuck. the entire first week i sat at 169.8 and did not budge then went down to 168 back up to 169.8 but for the last 3 days iv been slowely going down .2 lbs a day. yay

so that puts me at 169.2 for the day hopefully 169.0 tomorrow and possibly 168 by sunday and i will have finally lost my first pound! wish me luck, ugh this month has been hard
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Hey, hope everyone is doing well in August! I started this month at 141.8, as of this morning I am at 139.8 :) 2 lbs down, 3 to go! This has been a great motivation! Best of luck to everyone! Keep kicking some August butt! :wink:
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    KIND OF SAD TONIGHT.:cry: IT IS MY BABY GIRLS BIRTHDAY. 26 YEARS OLD! SHE JUST KISSED ME GOOD BYE AND IS ON HER WAY TO SAUDI ARABIA WITH HER NEW HUSBAND. I KNOW IT IS NEW BEGINNING FOR HER AND I AM HAPPY FOR HER BUT I ALREADY MISS HER AND SHE HAS NOT EVEN BEEN GONE AN HOUR! I DO HAVE GOOD MEMORIES BUT OH IT IS HARD FOR THIS MAMMA TO SAY GOOD BYE AND MOVE ON! :sad:

AND MY BIRTHDAY IS TOMORROW. IT IS ALSO THE LAST DAY TO PREPARE MY CLASSROOM FOR THE KIDS TO START SCHOOL ON SUNDAY. I GUESS I ACTUALLY WILL BE IN WORKING ON SATURDAY GETTING THE LAST MINUTE THINGS READY TO BEGIN.

LOVE ALL YOUR POSTS AND ENJOY YOUR MESSAGES. YOU GUYS ARE MY FAMILY AND EVEN THO I DON'T WRITE BACK EVERY DAY I THINK OF YOU AND CONSIDER YOU MY FRIENDS MY TRUE FRIENDS THAT CARE ABOUT MY AND MY HEALTH. I EVEN BRAG ABOUT HOW GREAT YOU ARE TO MY FRIENDS. PHYLJEN:smile:
  • zoeco33
    zoeco33 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would love to be in!
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Options
    Start weight (5 Aug) - 156.4
    12 Aug - 155.76 - Loss of .64 pounds! Not enough to be on track for the 5 pounds yet but it's my TOM so hopefully another bit of a drop next week!

Goal weight - 151.4
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    Terri - thank you for the Runners World quotes and the http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned link - according to this calculation I can eat 2500 calories a day to maintain - plus my exercise calories!!

tralalara - I am soooo in agreement with you about the glycemic index and being a little carb restrictive! I try to get almost all my carbs from fruits, veggies and whole grains - and very few from processed foods. Seems to be working so far! (Oh - as I keep reading I see Terri already commented on this!!:tongue: )

Connie - I was in the same boat as you, good on the exercise - bad on the eating. But in the last 8 weeks or so things are coming together!!

Kelly - pushing for that 30 for you!!!!

Jennpluss - my husband is occasionally best described as 'clueless' (but incase he ever reads this he is in all other ways perfect):love::smooched:

Phyllis - keep your chin up! Here's wishing you a peaceful, relaxing, happy birthday!!:drinker:

UPDATE:
    I have been doing my running 3 days a week no problem but today is the first day I finally went back to the gym to lift weights. How frustrating. I feel foolish, never know where to starts or how much weight to start with. I hate that I don't have a comfortable routine. Free weights bore me to tears. A very nice but chatty older gentleman yakked my ear off for a good 15 minutes of my mere 45 I had to spare. At last I decided to try the CYBEX machines again and you know what, this time I didn't hate them! Adjusting the weights is faster than the other equipment and they are all arranged in a ciruit so it would be efficient too. I mean, I have tried the circuit before but alway gotten bored . . . maybe now I finally have the right attitude for it . . . let's hope! Next time I will go right for the CYBEX circuit and bring a little index card to keep track of my weight for each machine. Oh, I hope this is the answer to my weight training goal!!!!!!!:happy:

Also, I am really getting into this good carbs/fats versus bad carbs/fats thing. I am eating 2000-2300 calories a day and not gaining - actually losing a little. I get to eat alot, but making these better choices seems to be allowing me to eat MORE!!!!!

YEAH BABY!!!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Phyljen - sending lots of hugs your way! I know how hard it was for me when I left for college! I cried & cried - missed my mom so much! I think I came home every weekend if I could get there (usually a 3 hr bus ride!) lol Just know your daughter will always be with you, no matter how far she goes! Hugs to you! :heart: :flowerforyou: Happy birthday to you both as well! :happy:

Traci - wow that's a lot of calories & still losing! So awesome! Keep up the great work! :drinker:
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    :blushing: You all are doing so great in so many ways, be it exercise, life and learning to let go :heart: , or differences at the homefront (yes men are dumb :wink: ) you all should be proud of all of the obsticles we overcome on a day-to-day basis and still have time for everything else! Huge kudos to ALL of us!!!

I've been in a funk the past few weeks only losing a full 1 pound :sad: (well, kinda two, but I've been holding on to them for awhile now) and no inches, feeling blah, but I know last week was a rough one on it's own. Hoping to measure this Friday and see results, even a little 1/2in would be great! So, with that in mind, I burned just over 1000cal by swimming, walking, Leslie Sansone, and Dancing. I've drank 14 8oz glasses so far and stayed under calories...sodium, not so much, but hey, ya live ya learn..next time, no Walmart deli mashed tators!

I'm having, well, my hubby mostly, a keg pool party. Why the guys thought I needed a late bday keg party when I don't drink beer (very rare that I do) is beyond me. I will still get in my a.m. walk and then swimming much of the day with a small bbq (which for once, I have control over, so bring on the chicken and veggies).

Hope you all are doing well on this weeks BMK challenge, I've got one more P.E. style day and 30min dancing to do. My new food this week was Mongolian Beef, YUMMO! Anyway, I have a quiet house this evening, hubby went four wheeling and I stayed home to finish my exercise for once, so I'm gonna take a bath and watch a chick flick :) Have a wonderful evening all!!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Timbotina—Anytime! Hang in there!

Bekylouise—Good job on that inch! If you ask me, that matters way more than the number on the scale.

Terri—Great tips! I am excited to read the next one!

Randi—Happy Birthday to your baby girl! Strawberry shortcake is delicious. Enjoy it… but not too much!

Leela and Panda—Good job on your losses so far this month!

Kelly—You are so close! Keep up the work to hit your 30lbs milestone!

Jen—I am sorry you had a rough day and hope the situation improves soon. I hate to hear that you are feeling what I assume is a bit trapped right now. I think most guys spend a lot of their lives acting like children!!

55—Keep it up! I hope you see the results you want.

Phyljen—Happy Birthday to your daughter and to you! Enjoy your last weekend before school starts back up. Thanks for inspiring us!

Traci—I read a book (The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess) that made me fall in love with lifting! Even if you don’t do the workout plans it provides, it might be worth a read for the illustrations of the moves and the information (including how to know how much weight to start with.) Also, I am all about the good carbs and fats. I have found that if I stick to a really clean diet, I don’t need to count calories at all. I eat until I am full and still lose weight. It is great!

Bru—You are handling this little hiccup like a pro! Keep going strong and you will see changes on the scale. Have fun watching your chick flick!
  • JABehler
    JABehler Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Phylliss, Happy Birthday tomorrow. I know how you feel about that baby girl. My baby turned 29 this past April and everytime I have to leave her or she leaves here, I feel sad. I read this list daily to keep in touch with all here. I gather inspiration from all.
    Long week this week here....hubby had knee replacement yesterday and all is doing fine. He will stay in hosp. till Friday then move over to rehab for prob. a week. So it's long days in those cold hosp. rooms for me. Yesterday I had to eat in the cafeteria and by the time I got there the food selection wasn't that great. Today I took my own lunch and came home here for dinner and R & R.
    Headed off to the bath with a glass of wine. :drinker:
    Jacque
  • jesse14472
    jesse14472 Posts: 161
    Options
    Ok...it's Wednesday and I totally forgot about this week's challenges. So tonight I made peanut-ginger noodles. Held back on some of the chili-garlic sauce & ginger b/c of the kids. Would like to try it again with full ingredients & some red pepper flakes. I plan on doing some DDR on the Wii with my daughter tomorrow. What do you log this in as? Did some ab crunches this afternoon & then some weeding in the garden and am really starting to feel it now....but it's a good feeling. I wanted to thank all you ladies for sharing your ups & downs. It's nice to know there are others out there going through the same things that I am. Have a great night!
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    AmandaB - thank you for the book suggestion. Tomorrow I am taking the kids to the local library and if they don't have it I am buying the copy I found tonight on Amazon!!!

THANK YOU!!:flowerforyou:
  • SUPERWOMEN
    SUPERWOMEN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, Did weigh-in today and I lost 2 lbs this week! :) So far.. that's 4 lbs lost from August the 4th till now.
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    I did weigh in on monday but forgot to log it. I have lost 3 pounds so far this month!!!!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    KIND OF SAD TONIGHT.:cry: IT IS MY BABY GIRLS BIRTHDAY. 26 YEARS OLD! SHE JUST KISSED ME GOOD BYE AND IS ON HER WAY TO SAUDI ARABIA WITH HER NEW HUSBAND. I KNOW IT IS NEW BEGINNING FOR HER AND I AM HAPPY FOR HER BUT I ALREADY MISS HER AND SHE HAS NOT EVEN BEEN GONE AN HOUR! I DO HAVE GOOD MEMORIES BUT OH IT IS HARD FOR THIS MAMMA TO SAY GOOD BYE AND MOVE ON! :sad:

AND MY BIRTHDAY IS TOMORROW. IT IS ALSO THE LAST DAY TO PREPARE MY CLASSROOM FOR THE KIDS TO START SCHOOL ON SUNDAY. I GUESS I ACTUALLY WILL BE IN WORKING ON SATURDAY GETTING THE LAST MINUTE THINGS READY TO BEGIN.

LOVE ALL YOUR POSTS AND ENJOY YOUR MESSAGES. YOU GUYS ARE MY FAMILY AND EVEN THO I DON'T WRITE BACK EVERY DAY I THINK OF YOU AND CONSIDER YOU MY FRIENDS MY TRUE FRIENDS THAT CARE ABOUT MY AND MY HEALTH. I EVEN BRAG ABOUT HOW GREAT YOU ARE TO MY FRIENDS. PHYLJEN:smile:

Can't imagine having a child leave and and especially to live sooo far away and I'm sure she will miss you just as much....Hopefully you guys have webcam or that other new stuff that you can atleast see and talk to each other often.....My thoughts are with you....we are all here to support each other...

well I have been nursing a cough and sore throat for last couple days but felt pretty good, until now....I don't know if it's been the emotional week for me, shopping for 11 1/2 hours yesturday, or MTOTM....but this morning I am totally exhausted so I am taking the day off.....(and my husband is finally home---he has had to work 16hr shifts last 3 days....he is moving the storeroom at work--organizing, etc.....)..so this weeks BMK challange is going to be a total bust for me..think I will just start fresh on MONDAY!!!!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Hope everyone had a great night's sleep!

Happy Birthday Phyllis! I hope you have an awesome day! I miss the days of putting my classroom in order for the upcoming school year!

I am so excited to see all the newcomers. Please share ideas and successes. Ask for support when you need it! This thread has a great group of people.

Are you ready for today's weight loss myth?

THE MYTH:
    EXERCISE IN THE FAT-BURNING ZONE

THE TRUTH:
    The "fat-burning zone" lies between 50 and 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. When you exercise at this low intensity, your body draws energy from fat. As your heart rate goes up, more energy comes from carbs. So it seems logical that to lose fat you should keep your heart rate low, says Jason Karp, Ph.D., owner of Runcoachjason.com. But that's not the case.

"Running at higher intensities causes you to burn a lower percentage of fat calories in favor of carbs," says Karp, "but you use more total calories." And that's the key to slimming down. Plus, since you torch more total calories, the absolute amount of fat burned actually increases, too. So it pays to pick up the pace.

Of course, lower intensity exercise still has its place. Long, slow runs build aerobic fitness and endurance. But to kickstart a pokey metabolism, you need intensity. Karp suggests interval training (condensed runs that mix in intense efforts with recovery) because studies have found these workouts burn more calories during and after exercise (see "Torch Calories" below for Karp's interval workout). "It also cuts down on boredom," he says, "which makes it more likely you'll stick with your program."

Torch Calories
    High-intensity intervals will help you win the battle of the bulge.

ON THE TRACK: Warm up for 10 minutes. Run 800 meters, aiming to finish the interval at 90 to 95% of your max heart rate. After a two-minute recovery jog, repeat two more times, then cool down for 10 minutes. Add an 800-meter interval every two weeks until you reach six.

ON A TREADMILL:Warm up for 10 minutes. Run for five minutes with treadmill at 1% incline at a speed that hits 90 to 95% of your max heart rate. After a two-minute recovery jog, repeat two more times. Cool down for 10 minutes. Add one interval every two weeks until you reach six.

ANAEROBIC CAPACITY: Warm up for 10 minutes. Do six 400-meter runs (or about 90 seconds on a treadmill) at your mile race pace or slightly faster. The interval should be considerably faster than the previous workouts. Between each interval, complete a two-minute recovery jog.

TO GAUGE MAX HEART RATE: Run four laps on a track with each lap getting faster. On last lap, sprint as hard as you can. Check your heart-rate monitor. The highest number will be close to your max heart rate.

I know not everyone here is a runner but hopefully you can take these ideas to whatever form of exercise you use.

Have a great day!

Terri
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Remember that wagon I was chasing? Well, I think I’m on, but it’s a bumpy ride…
    My dinner with a friend on Tuesday night was lovely and only half-bad food-wise (not perfect picks, but it could have been much much worse). We went to East Side Mario’s; I had two bowls of salad, ½ pizza (no meat toppings) and some garlic loaf. Nothing alcoholic, just water.
    I was tired yesterday morning, so I didn’t get up early to do my Couch to 5k workout. My walking buddy wasn’t available yesterday at lunch, so I went to the gym and did my Couch to 5k workout (yay). I am on Week 4, Day 2, and I actually ran all the required minutes (16 in total).
    My MIL offered to babysit the girls so hubby and I could have a date night last night. We went to a greek restaurant for dinner (hummus with pita, chicken souvlaki, tzatziki, extra greek salad - no rice or potato, water) and to see the movie SALT (small popcorn, water). We bumped into friends at the movie and went out for a drink afterwards (= more water for me, which I'm sure I needed after that popcorn!).

Dawn, you’re doing great this month – keep it up! I skipped last week’s weigh-in (TOM) and peeked yesterday, but still don’t like what it says. I’m starting to think if I can lose even one or two pounds this month, I will be doing ok.

55tolose, want to race to the 1st pound lost for this month? :laugh:

Jenn, hope your knee is feeling better! All men are sometimes dumb, but some men are always dumb. I hope yours is not the latter. I hope your situation improves, for your sake and for your kids. :flowerforyou:

TCASMEY, thanks for the RW articles. I look forward to the rest of the myths…

Tralalara, I purposefully ate 40/30/30 for a while, and I saw good results as well. Right now, I am not counting calories or grams or percentages of anything. I honestly just don’t have it in me, so for now I am just trying to make healthier selections. I hope that by feeding my body more nutrient-rich foods (veg, fruit, whole grains), that I won’t be craving 'more food' because my body is still looking for the nutrition.

Phyljen, that must be so hard to have your daughter going so far away. I hope you can keep in touch with her online. Happy Birthday!

Kelly, are you there yet? are you there yet? I’m chomping at the bit to cheer you on for reaching that 30lb loss!!

5fatcats, I too have been shying away from my weights. I know I need to get back at it. Shall we make a ‘date’ for a weight workout?

Amanda, when you say you are eating ‘clean’, what does that entail? I can guess at omitting processed foods, but what are the other guidelines? Thanks for the tip on the book – I’ll have to look around for it. I find when I am immersing myself in healthy reading, that it translates into my life. I was reading Fit for Life (part 3) last month, and did well. I finished it, and August has been a struggle so far. Maybe I should at least pick up a fitness magazine or something!

Bru, enjoy your keg party. (sounds a bit like a Homer bowling ball gift to me…) What chick flick did you watch last night? I watched Step Up (the original) again on Monday night – gearing myself up for #3 that’s in theatres.

Jaque, smart girl, bringing your own lunch to the hospital! Hope you enjoyed your bath/wine. I might try to fit that in on Saturday evening when hubby is away… Hope your hubby heals, and is good as new asap.

Timbotina – get some rest, hope you feel better, and back at it on Monday! We’ll be here waiting for you.

Welcome to all the new 5lb’ers! And congrats to everyone who have posted losses!!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Birthday Phyljen :flowerforyou: I hope it is a good one, reguardless of what all is going on.

And DMG...I watched (most of) Message in a Bottle, missed the last hour cause I was so tired!!

Have a great day to all

(edited for) and I'll see ya tomorrow for my weigh in :drinker: