"Food Boredom"

Options
Yes,"food boredom" is a term that I made up, but it is the only one that applies. I am working hard to stick to my plan, with very few variations and deviations, but I am sooooo bored with the "healthy stuff". I know that there are groups out there that are able to eat wheat bulgar and berries everyday with relative satisfaction, but I am just not that evolved.

Do any of you go through periods where you would chew off a loved one's arm to get a piece of extra cheesey pizza (I don't even like pizza) but right now I might just hurt some lesser family member to get a piece, or some greasy chicken wings? I am there, but I really would like to avoid straying too far away from the plan that has helped me find some degree of success. If you have any intereresting information, or recipes you'd like to share I'd love to have them.

Wishing for lasagna :ohwell:

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I get food boredom a lot too. I've learned just not deprive myself of anything, I just try to re-make them. If I want pizza, then I make one, I just throw on lots of extra veggies and use a low-carb crust. If you want fried chicken then try to find a good baked recipe that "feels" like fried chicken.

In general, I eat what I want I just make sure it stays within my daily calorie goal and I try to throw in extra veggies wherever I can and drink lots of water.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    P.S. If you are craving lasagna, try stuffed shells. They taste like lasagna to me with the ricotta, meat, sauce and cheese and they are already in perfect little portions. :drinker:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Studies show that people who cut out foods they love are most likely to give up on diets early on. One of the benefits of a lifestyle change is learning moderation. We're overweight because of excess (in most cases). So if you want some wings, calculate out how many you can have without going over your goal. Also (as someone above me mentioned) there are also "healthy" options for pretty much everything!

You should experiment and find what works for you! I know I would go nuts with food boredom, I LOVE food and cooking. Berries and toast would drive me nuts! D:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and have reinvented all of my favorite recipes, and most are actually much better because I cook with flavor, herbs and spices, and quality healthier Ingredients. it is another world from where I was.

I find that the times I had caved I was disappointed because things are better in your mind and now just taste to sweet, to greasy, etc.

It took me a few years to get here with lots of work to learn and change how we shop and cook (and view food) due to my husbands health, now Im finding all that research and work is pretty handy for my weight loss goals.
  • antollamh
    antollamh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of books with good recipes, where you can eat almost anything, as long as you add up the calories, usually provided in the recipe book. We use "The Classic 1000 low-fat recipes", by Caroline Humphries, which is brilliant. Excellent tasty food, lots of variety, easy to keep track of calories, makes planning and shopping easy. No need to get bored with food. I am a late beginner at cooking, but even I find these recipes easy to do.
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    I say if ur craving it, then eat it. But i agree with the others on here that have responded. Moderation is the key. The other day i was craving pizza and my boyfriend who doesnt watch what he eats also wanted some. So we ordered pizza, he ordered a large for himself. And i ordered a small personal pan pizza with extra veggies. I also made a huge salad and ate that first. Did u know i only ate half of that personal pan pizza. And thats coming from someone who has ate a whole frozen pizza by herself a few times. I got my fix for pizza and i didnt feel terrible about it. I have also tried making my own personal pizzas before too. I know of i totally stop eating something, i wont succed, i will prob just quit. Its happended before
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the good input. I have managed to rework a few of my old recipes to make them more healthy. I think that I will splurge and have a small meal that I am craving, this weekend. I will keep in mind the moderation rule, and all of your wonderful advice. I have to admit the idea of slipping back into bad habits has me really timid about opening the proverbial barn door.

Thanks again, :flowerforyou:
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I am eating all the same things I was before just portioned out right. I love lasagna and we eat it almot weekly. I have always mad eit with turkey and wheat noodles and according to the recipe thingy on here its alittle undre 400 calories a slice. Now I have to do some tricks to keep from getting seconds or taking bites off the kids plates. Im steadly losing too. We eat pizza too, I just eat what Im alotted on my tracker. Dominos is great because on their website they have a make your pizza thingy that tells you how many calories are in each slice. I also will occassionally get wings when getting pizza. its all about tracking nd If I have the extra calories and fats and sodium for an extra slice then yep I take it. Oh speghetti is another that sometimes I end up making twice in one week but again wheat noodles and turkey meat. I also ate twice this week birthday cake leftover from my daughters bday party.