What type of protein powder is best?

Options
2»

Replies

• DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! I bought whatever was cheapest at Walmart. My problem with a low-carb, no refined food, higher-protein diet is that it is making me sick sick sick! The morning sickness that has blessedly been gone for the last 10 weeks or so is back with a vengeance eating like this, even though it's better for baby and I.

I had a shake tonight for dinner with some veggies on the side and I feel FINE now! I guess knowing that, I can buy a better quality powder without worrying that it will be a waste of money.

Thanks again!
  • Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    not sure what you bought from walmart, but the bodyfortress and six star stuff is not very good, and didnt agree with alot of ppl's gastro intestinal system.. IE made you doodoo alot... something in it, i think the creatine in the bodyfortress it was crystalized and gritty..

anyway, dont buy anything from GNC, overpriced. if you dont have a vitaminshoppe around, just hit amazon, the price point on ON gold whey has always been shown retail 80-90 but its been on "sale" for years at the 53ish$ price range from amazon (free shipping)and the vitaminshoppe
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ON people. I get mine from bodybuilding.com. They have the best prices on 2 pound tubs. Haven't tried the double chocolate but the milk chocolate and the chocolate malt ones are really good. Vanilla is good too for adding fruit too. Cookies and cream is nice as well but I would avoid the caramel fudge chocolate kind of has a chemical-y taste to it.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There is a new Ensure High Protein drink out and it only has 5g of sugar, but 25g of protein. it's also low fat. the vanilla is great.

I drank these during first/second trimester. My OB suggested them.
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    This is nice post about protein powder. The obvious benefit of protein powder is that it helps in recovery process. Besides helping the muscles recover after the workout, protein powder will help you to strengthen your immune system, thus helping you recover from disease attacks and sickness.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i got Muscletech brand thats deluxe vanilla flavor. I am a huge vanilla person and i love it. Its sooo good! i usually try to get something with 20 or more grams of protein per serving.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize whey protein Isolate chocolate mint from bodybuilding.com It's got a good taste mixed with frozen blueberries and a tablespoon of ground peanut butter from earthfare. Very low sugar and keeps me satisfied.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Gnc Pro Performance® Amp Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - Extremely lean, I use one scoop but you can use up to three. Tastes great too!
  • mel3491
    mel3491 Posts: 31
    Options
    If you are still checking your posts about protein powder I'd like to 'weigh in'. I am doing Adkins and working out, mostly cardio, 5+ times per week. I wanted a protein shake low in sugar and carbs, and high in amino acids. Not wanting to replace meals but to get some extra protein in with hopes of keepign my hunger in check. I have tried 3 so far here and are the stats:
    MRM protein with whey. 2 lb container, lasted over a month. Vanilla and tasted great. Bought at local vitamin supplement store. you mixed with water so no extra calories.
    I then got 'Metabolic Reset' weight loss product with similar stats but it was not tasty, the jar was tiny for the same price and I wasn't overly impressed at the end of the month. Same- you could mix with water but it had to be really cold and I could barely choke it down.
    Most recently I am doing Dr. Sheele's 'Factor 4 weight control with amino acids. I read this in a book called the Obesity Cure. Great info, dry reading. downside to the powder you have to order it on-line and it's a little pricey. Good taste, can be mixed with water or milk. I've had a good loss this month but not totally convinced it is to credit.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ON Rocky Road.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I read something online a long time ago about how not all protein powders are created equally. It said something about how some protein powders are .. uh... was it fermented? Or rotted? Or something along those lines? I could Google it if I remembered what I was talking about. :) But since I don't, can someone here read my mind and educate me please? :happy:

I need a protein powder that will not cause an insulin surge (low carb) because i have to keep my blood sugar down due to pregnancy. I have a hard time eating in the morning, but am supposed to start off my day with protein, so thought a protein shake might be the ticket. Sugar cravings while not being allowed to have sugar sucks, just in case anyone was wondering. :) I sure would love a nice bowl of Lucky Charms!
    The term you were looking for was DENATURED.

Anyway, I personally choose Optimum Nutrition because they MANUFACTURE their own products. Most products out there contract a 3rd party manufacturer and then just slap their label on the product. That means that more than 80% of the product out there is probably made by the same manufacturer and most of the time they use the cheapest raw materials.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I like gold standard and nectar they both mix with water pretty well and I think they are a fair value for the price.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

holy **** omg too ****ing funny.

ON still has my heart due to the low heavy metals and even side studies that show it has the highest protein for the claim.