Lift HEAVY!!!! Especially girls...do not be afraid!

Options
:noway: Most women are afraid to lift heavy because they will get "big!" You can not get "big" per se unless you are a body builder, and even then it is EXTREMELY difficult to get "big!" Scale back a bit on the cardio if you are limited on your time and throw in a couple heavy sets....it works!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The only problem for me is when the guys at the gym are using my weights... and I have to go grab the next one up...
  • Pamsab01
    Pamsab01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah well, they will get over it! Just watch! They will go 5lbs heavier than you and have terrible form just to make sure YOU (the girl) did not lift heavier than them!:}
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I agree, the ladies should be doing weights too. Women don't have the right hormones to get "big" like a man. Most men don't even have the right hormones to look like the roided up guys on muscle magazine covers. You'd really have to try to get there.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I don't care how many threads are made about this, it needs to be repeated over and over again!! Hells Yes!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • csm2010
    csm2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Agreed! The more musle we have the faster our metabolisms will be, the more fat we can burn. I love lifting and find it to be very empowering. I was always intimidated in the "guys" area but I am on the last week of the Jamie Eason LiveFit program (Found on bodybuilding.com) and it has changed my perception!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the early stages of my weight loss journey, but I have listened!!! Lifting hard and as heavy as I can 3 nights a week! And I have to say... I LOVE IT!!!
  • 1btipton2
    1btipton2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    May be a stupid question- but it is THE question that has occupied my brain for months. I know there is no magic one size, fits all formula... but could you please tell me what worked for you? I'm looking for a good 3 nights a week routine. this weekend was the first time I spent some time at the gym that wasn't cardio centered. But I wasn't using free weights.

So could you please define lifting heavy for me because it would really help me out!
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Yes it has been discussed on MFP a few times previously that women should not be afraid to lift more than 5lb dumbbells.....
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,007 Member
    Options
    17monthprogresschat_zpsf36388d2.jpg

The order of my programs over the last 17 months:

1. NROL4W
    2. NROL4Abs
    3. NROL4Life (Stage 1, only)
    4. Venus Index - Phase 1
    5. Venus Index - Phase 2
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Yes it has been discussed on MFP a few times previously that women should not be afraid to lift more than 5lb dumbbells.....
    This subject has been beat to death but it needs to be beat to death some more! :bigsmile:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    May be a stupid question- but it is THE question that has occupied my brain for months. I know there is no magic one size, fits all formula... but could you please tell me what worked for you? I'm looking for a good 3 nights a week routine. this weekend was the first time I spent some time at the gym that wasn't cardio centered. But I wasn't using free weights.

So could you please define lifting heavy for me because it would really help me out!

I end up doing something like this, which may or may not be optimal...

Mon: Short cardio warmup, Squat, Overhead press, Chinups, filler cardio if desired.
    Wed: Short cardio warmup, Deadlift, Bench press, Row, maybe cardio if I feel like it.
    Fri: Short cardio warmup, Squat, Overhead press or bench, Pullups or Dips. Possible cardio depending on time.

I have been trying to focus on squat, deadlift, chinups, bench, and overhead press. I fill in other stuff, but I usually find I hit diminishing returns after doing a few sets of a about 3 exercises. I try to make weights heavy enough so I'm failing under 10 reps. To each his/her own.

Edit: Each routine should include "eat" at the end. Sooner better than later.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    :noway: Most women are afraid to lift heavy because they will get "big!" You can not get "big" per se unless you are a body builder, and even then it is EXTREMELY difficult to get "big!" Scale back a bit on the cardio if you are limited on your time and throw in a couple heavy sets....it works!!!!!!!!!

who are these "most"? i'd say that only idiots actually think that. i'd like to think of myself and other women as not being idiots. i don't lift cause i'm lazy, not because i'm afraid of getting big. i have no muscle tone to begin with. some bulk would be nice, but seems unlikely.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Recommendation from a newbie lifter:

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a must read and has a really good programme in it with a full break down of the lifts so you can use this without needing a pro trainer. Would recommend you get some advice on form if you have a friendly trainer or experienced lifters at your gym.

How heavy is completely individual... when starting out, heavy enough that you are near your limit at the end of your set i.e could maybe do one more rep or two at a real push. NROLFW starts you at 15reps and works down to 8 in the first few weeks. Less reps, more weight. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get up to after the first level (about 5 weeks)
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    Yeah well, they will get over it! Just watch! They will go 5lbs heavier than you and have terrible form just to make sure YOU (the girl) did not lift heavier than them!:}

Totally agree... I can lift more (in lbs) than 1/2 of the guys at the gym. And I'm only 5 feet tall.

Only one guy does not care that I have matched his weights and can do as many if not more dips, chin ups, etc than him. (He is my gym partner... so he doesn't care :laugh: )

The remainder of the guys will just increase their weights by 5 lbs or do 1 more rep than me so that they can say "I beat her." That always cracks me up.

Some guys (who are less fit than me) will push themselves to match me. They have lost weight and become fitter by trying to keep up. I'm always there cheering those guys on and pushing them because I remember the long journey it took to get here. I also use them as my motivation to keep pushing myself to get faster, leaner, stronger, etc. Because I can't let the boys beat me.
  • dedred1
    dedred1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im just starting out in my local sports centre, I do 10 minutes intermediate cardio on the elliptical trainer, really works a sweat for me but Im getting better, more steps on the peaks, then I hit the weights, Im not doing free weights at the mo but use the machines & I freaking love it. I'll do my arms one day, legs the next, back the next, stomach & sides the next, I have 2 rest days a week. I just work around these 4 routines just now, 3 sets of 15 on every machine with controlled movements at the most weight I can push. I have sweat stinging my eyes, I pant & puff & huff doing these weights but I dont care what the guys think, a few of them have actually helped me, showing me different versions of what Im doing, how to get the best out of myself. Ive been doing this 5 weeks now & Im noticing the change in my body. Im also on a diet, Im a hefty 189lbs, 5ft 6 but bloody determined to do this. I recommend any woman start training with weights :)
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I want to get off the machines but I have no one to teach me the right form with free weights...
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Im so glad you posted this! i have people telling me not to do this, and some telling me to do it! Gosh I just want to TONE UP!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    Options

I haven't felt yet like I was really ready to do Stronglifts 5X5 or New Rules of Lifting, so I've been doing a combination of machines and "easy" free weights. All the details are in my blog... moveoverfat.blogspot.com.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I want to get off the machines but I have no one to teach me the right form with free weights...

YouTube is your friend. Watch watch watch, then go forth and conquer!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    Options

I didn't know much about form either. I did a search online and there are several places that have videos that show you different exercises step by step so you can learn proper form. I don't have any links, but just start with something like "how to do a squat" on google, and you'll find what you need.