Water melon

Options
2»

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yes I got them from here, it say for 1/2 a galia watermelon has 100 cals. I dont know what brand I had but does it matter its a watermelon.???

YES! It matters the brand. You have to be careful and not just "pick one" on the list but know what it is exactly that you're eating.

FYI, I googled Galia melons and they're not even really watermelons but look more like cantaloupes. Same size and color. So, you need to research what you're picking from the list if you're not sure.

Here's a link that shows a photo of a Galia melon, just so you can see.

http://themeloninc.com/farmers_market/pictures.html

Also, you must have searched for water melon (the space) because I didn't find it at first when I searched MFP's database for watermelons (no space). Use watermelon (no space) and you'll see the more accurate figures for what you're eating.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Why is it that I am STARVING for watermelon now?

YUM!

And I bet each brand of melon will vary lightly. Just like you will have different varieties of each type of fruit.

And to me, a carb is a carb is a carb (about 5 calories per gram). It doesnt matter if its cane or fruit or chocolate! It all counts as energy I am going to burn... but as long as I do it in moderation!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Melons in general are very low in calorie. Both honeydew and canteloupe are really low in calories :wink:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    hmmm...I use a different calorie counter because the foods from a different country always come up different. I have looked at three different Italian sites because it is now watermelon season and I eat tons of it.

On every site, it is listed as....15 calories p/ 100 grams. The MFP site, when using grams, lists 30 calories p/100 grams. I'm sorry that I don't know what that would be in cups or ounces, but 350-400 grams is what I usually have and it's a pretty good chunk (that is weighed without the rind and with seeds). And, of course, I go with the 15 cal p/100. :bigsmile:
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Some one better go out and get me a watermelon now after all this talking..and I don't have one... booooooo!
  • timisw
    Options
    Some one better go out and get me a watermelon now after all this talking..and I don't have one... booooooo!

Raising My Hand!

I will go get ya one if you will share with me?

I had thee BEST watermelon in Afghanistan up in a town called Masar e Sharif (MES). I was up there late last summer and they delicious HUGE melons and Pomegranates! YUM! The locals were VERY VERY proud of those two fruits and their roses.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I got me one yesterday and hubby and I just cut into it! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY!

Sweet and juicy! He ate about 1/4 of it but I just had 6 ozs.
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Options
    Yes I got them from here, it say for 1/2 a galia watermelon has 100 cals. I dont know what brand I had but does it matter its a watermelon.???

YES! It matters the brand. You have to be careful and not just "pick one" on the list but know what it is exactly that you're eating.

FYI, I googled Galia melons and they're not even really watermelons but look more like cantaloupes. Same size and color. So, you need to research what you're picking from the list if you're not sure.

Also, you must have searched for water melon (the space) because I didn't find it at first when I searched MFP's database for watermelons (no space). Use watermelon (no space) and you'll see the more accurate figures for what you're eating.

I think they only had one to choose from thats why i thuoght that it was right.
  • Mary24
    Options
    Why is it that I am STARVING for watermelon now?

YUM!

And I bet each brand of melon will vary lightly. Just like you will have different varieties of each type of fruit.

And to me, a carb is a carb is a carb (about 5 calories per gram). It doesnt matter if its cane or fruit or chocolate! It all counts as energy I am going to burn... but as long as I do it in moderation!

I have more in the fridge if you want some come and get it:laugh:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

If you type it in as one word, you get more choices.
  • LML79
    Options

Raising My Hand!

I will go get ya one if you will share with me?

I had thee BEST watermelon in Afghanistan up in a town called Masar e Sharif (MES). I was up there late last summer and they delicious HUGE melons and Pomegranates! YUM! The locals were VERY VERY proud of those two fruits and their roses.

I absolutely LOVE pomegranates! You know I had never even heard of them before till we were visiting Family in TX 2 yrs ago..and they had them there... now I'm addicted to them!
  • timisw
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE pomegranates! You know I had never even heard of them before till we were visiting Family in TX 2 yrs ago..and they had them there... now I'm addicted to them!

You will soon see some arriving in the grocery store that MAY have a little stamp on them that says Afghanistan. I do hope that they can start exporting them. They were MOST delicious! Either way, when I see them, I definitely buy one or two! They have pomegranate juice at some places too!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I believe a "Galia" watermelon is the soccerball shaped watermelon, not the BIG HONKIN' watermelons. :wink:
  • LML79
    Options
    I believe a "Galia" watermelon is the soccerball shaped watermelon, not the BIG HONKIN' watermelons. :wink:

Big Honkin'.. LOL!
  • Mary24
    Options

If you type it in as one word, you get more choices.

wow thanks I just did that and wula, lots more I did lieve a space before.

Now I feel a little stupied:embarassed:
  • timisw
    Options
    wow thanks I just did that and wula, lots more I did lieve a space before.

Now I feel a little stupied:embarassed:

You cannot be stupid over this! Think how many farmers made money by us going out to buy watermelons!
  • Mary24
    Options
    Yes they work hard for there money, I should know my husband is a grain farmer!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    :love: :love: :love: :love: Bought watermelon at the store tonight. Gonna break my calories slightly to indulge in a cup's worth :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • lslough
    lslough Posts: 32
    Options
    I just bought a nice size watermelon yesterday! YAA!