ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A THYROID CONDITION???

Options
meltedkeys
meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
I SEEM TO BE HITTING A BRICK WALL. MY TSH IS UNDER CONTROLL. I'VE BEEN MONITORING MY CALORIES. I ONLY LOST 10LBS IN THE LAST YEAR. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DRINK MORE WATER, CUT BACK CAFFINE, EAT CLEANER, EXERCISE MORE, NOTHING SEEMS TO BE HELPING ME GET PAST THIS NEXT 5 LBS. I KEEP GOING UP AND DOWN. SIZE HASN'T CHANGED EITHER SO IT'S NOT JUST THE WEIGHT. UGH!!! PLEASE HELP! ANY TRICKS WILL BE APPRECIATED. I'M ON TOPIRAMATE FOR MIGRAINES WHICH SHOULD BE HELPING MY WEIGHTLOSS AND IT'S NOT.

Replies

• nellyb2011
    nellyb2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brabhams05
    brabhams05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have a hypo. I have had a lot of the same problems. It took a long time for my body to respond to the medication. I've just now started to truly lose weight. How long have you been on your meds? Also I have found that even with the meds it is still harder for me to lose weight. Just keep at it and track everything. You can do this but it is a lot of work.

Also you may want to talk to your doctor about the type of thyroid meds you are on. They had to change mind to something different before I started responding to it. I also had to be taking that kind of about a year. Everyone is different though.
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Apparently there are a bunch of us out here. Someone just posted the same thing a week or so ago. Feel free to add me, I was just diagnosed as hypothyroid a couple of months ago, and I'm on medication now. Slow weight loss, for sure...

And you might want to turn off your CAPS lock, people can get touchy around here!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How do you feel tho? Often a TSH number doesn't provide a full picture of overall thyroid health. I had my gland removed almost two years ago and have found that the only way I can lose weight is by not eating over my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) . There's a thyroid group here on MFP where you'll find lots of ideas and support.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound like a broken record, but if you've checked your diet, and your exercise intensity, and you're sure of your calories, and it's been months... Get your vitamin levels checked. In particular, B12. 40% of hypothyroid people suffer from B12 deficiency.

After 6 months of no scale movement, I got B12 shots after my doctor confirmed B12 anemia. I am now losing 1.5 to 2 lbs per week without changing much of anything. I WAS doing the right things. I just didn't have good blood to do it with.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have not Thyroid, and I'm on Synthroid.

Feel free to add me.

I think that you also need to make sure that your T4 is in the correct range. If your hypo it will be hard to lose. I have been *knock on wood* my successful thus far, losing 45lbs. in the past several months.
  • cinner506
    cinner506 Posts: 50
    Options
    I have graves, which is overacting thyroid! I track everything I eat!!! Eat more protein! It takes time to lose that weight!
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I also know how frustrating that can be :(

First off, I wrote a mini-essay (!) on hypothyroidism on another thread, if you want to have a glance:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1007033-underactive-thyroid-feel-like-i-can-t-lose-weight-pleas

Not an exhaustive or authoritative account by any means, but the points raised have been very helpful for me so far.

You seem to have covered a lot of the issues in your post (eating clean, cutting caffeine etc) so I will second what a lot of others have mentioned - check other possible deficiencies if you haven't already. Also the items in my 'essay' that you didn't mention (supplementing, exercise type etc).

Unfortunately despite all of this the metabolism can continue to be very sluggish. Have a look through the different tips mentioned on the boards about changing things up - eg changing calories, changing exercise routines, making sure all your goals/macros (?) etc are set adequately [assuming if you haven't done so already]. I'm new to MFP so I won't pretend to be an expert on those latter points!

However I'm not new to the constant hypo-weight battle so I empathise. Keep seeing your GP if it is still affecting you a lot, even if your TSH reads normal it doesn't mean it's normal for you and I know people who have had their Levothyroxine increased under GP care, despite 'normal' levels, because of their symptoms and they have seen a huge positive difference. I am fortunate to have a very thorough GP who is trained in other areas (nutrition, fitness etc) as well as understanding thyroid issues, so I go to the GP quite regularly for support in modifying what I eat, what I do and how I supplement, and it is working out really well. If you have access to a medical professional who is good with thyroid function issues, or can find/switch to one, I highly recommend it. The difference between my current GP and the first who diagnosed me is staggering, with regards to how I am treated.

Last but not least - best of luck!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I can only say this for myself really. My thyroid has been low for years and it's also taken me years to lose the weight. I've been actively trying to lose it since 2008 and I'm STILL not at my goal.
    I third what others have said-check your other vitamin levels and keep doing what you're doing. It'll come off eventually.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and take daily medicine. The best combo for my weight loss has been lower carb (eat most of them during the day) and high protein. This coupled with regular exercise (5 days per week) has allowed me to be successful. I've found that when you totally commit to this change, your body does kick into drive and the weight starts coming off.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There's a whole group of us here on MFP. Come on over...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • ffunnygrl
    ffunnygrl Posts: 1
    Options
    try bumping up your calories about 200-250 for 2-3 days and then dropping below normal for the same time frame.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    the name of you're thread is anyone out there with a thyroid condition yet you only mention migraines and a quick fix. There are no pills powders patches or fad diets that are going to give you the results you desire. I do have a thyroid condition. I have Hypothyroidism which means I have a dormant thyroid it is on vacation out of town ie elvis has left the building. I am on meds for it have been through many dosages of it and it has not seemed to help. Have you been diagnosed? Not all people with thyroid issues can be cured. Not all can lose weight most of us struggle daily. If you have been consistent with your calorie intake and exercise their should be results. If you aren't then as they saying goes....Your'e doing it wrong. Patience Patience. Rome was not built in a day
  • ally_cole
    ally_cole Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LOTS of exercise and clean eating is what's worked for me. I also switched to taking my Synthroid right before bed instead of first thing in the morning, and I haven't had so much stomach issues.
  • maddienortonaus
    maddienortonaus Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I have Hashimoto's Disease. Basically it's an autoimmune disease where your body attacks your thyroid which makes you hypo. I was on medication (thyroxine) for it but I had terrible side effects so I gave it the boot. While I was on the meds I lost quite a bit of weight (I think 12kg, so approximately 20lbs) in a month. I thought when I stopped taking them that I'd gain heaps of weight and never be able to lose, but I've actually found my weight loss has accelerated. I'm in med school so generally I'm anti-alternative medicine but I've found by eating a mostly gluten free diet I've been able to shed the weight :)

Good luck xx
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've been on topamax for years, and it never affected my weight. It's only a possible side effect.

My daughter is hypo. I don't have any experience personally, per se, with my own issues, but I've dealing with the doctors and medicine for years.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo, with dodgy TSH and I'm losing fairly steadily. I don't just rely on the meds, I also take kelp and a metabolic health supplement, and I'm fit and eat well and drink water.

It's all about finding the right balance for you - when you achieve balance, your body works more or less as normal
  • meltedkeys
    meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the tips and insight. It helps to know I'm not just going crazy. My doctor checked my vitamin D which was low but never B12 so I'll look into that. I don't want a quick fix per se, I just hate that I'm trying to change my lifestyle and do better things yet my body acts like I'm still eating loads of junk and sitting around. I just lost another lb and my inches are moving again sohhopefully some of the suggestions you all gave will give my metabolism a kick. Oh and I apologize for the caps. I was at work and our computers have caps on for my job so I don't usually change it.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Low thyroid here as well. I work out like crazy and eat 1200 cals/day (if I'm lucky) and lose about 2 pounds a week.

It's been over a year since I've gotten my thyroid tested, since then lost 52 pounds and changed eating and working out, so I'm just curious if my thyroid results will change as well. The doctor I use sure isn't knowledgeable about thyroid though, he does't discuss all the different numbers, I even had to beg to get the full thyroid panel done. He hates fat people and swears my weight is only because I would eat constantly and sit around all day (all my life I've shown dogs/horses plus work full time, I assure you I don't sit around all day). I'm over due to go and so we will see what they are this year.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!